The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Baki

The strong UKCAT ones like Kings, Barts, Newcastle always get a load of people who aren't informed/want to go there badly applying to them with low UKCAT scores. Because of this you end up with less people at the interview stage.

mate you don't need a good ukcat for Newcastle!! my mate got an offer with around 610.

it's only king's and sheffield where you need HIGH ukcat scores (670+)
Reply 21
Degausser
Thats completely illogical. You're ignoring the idea that lots of people with good CAT scores will apply there because they think its an automatic path to interview, thus increasing the competition regardless.

The second point is very true though.

UKCAT Score = Scaled scored according to how many people do well.

This means, only a finite amount of people do well.

Which means, these people will be spread over many unis because half of these numb skulls don't know the meaning of research.

Which means, you will not necessarily get a load of people applying to one institution because they have a good ukcat score.

Lesson end.

Isometrix
mate you don't need a good ukcat for Newcastle!! my mate got an offer with around 610.

See people. This is why you do your own damn research.

****, someone said they ranked you by your UKCAT score to shortlist for interview.
Baki
UKCAT Score = Scaled scored according to how many people do well.

This means, only a finite amount of people do well.

Which means, these people will be spread over many unis because half of these numb skulls don't know the meaning of research.

Which means, you will not necessarily get a load of people applying to one institution because they have a good ukcat score.

Lesson end.

****, someone said they ranked you by your UKCAT score to shortlist for interview.

:rolleyes:

Lets imagine for a minute that people ARE capable of doing their research. Which a lot are.

Those with a high UKCAT score see Kings for example as a good place to apply as they think that the competition (like you said) will be full of idiots with low Cat scores who haven't done their research.

This means that despite all the low scores, there are still LOTS of high scores to compete with, meaning that the avantage you thought you'd take advantage of isn't as prominent any more.
Baki

they do rank, but you needn't have a high score to get an interview/offer.
Reply 24
Degausser
:rolleyes:

Lets imagine for a minute that people ARE capable of doing their research. Which a lot are.

Those with a high UKCAT score see Kings for example as a good place to apply as they think that the competition (like you said) will be full of idiots with low Cat scores who haven't done their research.

This means that despite all the low scores, there are still LOTS of high scores to compete with, meaning that the avantage you thought you'd take advantage of isn't as prominent any more.

Buuutt....

You would still have less people at the interview stage because only a finite amount of people can get good score. Correct?

While if you applied to a UKCAT weak place, you'd have to compete with high UKCAT people and Low UKCAT people. Correct?

Therefore, why not play to your strength.

Isometrix
they do rank, but you needn't have a high score to get an interview/offer.

Is interview selection based solely on UKCAT?
Reply 25
Well I am glad you pointed out that ST Andrews weigh the UKCAT at a 10% all in all I think that this good for people like me who probably won't get good scores...... all in all if i get good unit 2 grades..

now i come to think of it doesn't that mean if they place less emphasis on the UKCAT then the other aspects such as GCSE, grades and PS will be more highly weighed...
123 alexis
Well I am glad you pointed out that ST Andrews weigh the UKCAT at a 10% all in all I think that this good for people like me who probably won't get good scores...... all in all if i get good unit 2 grades..

now i come to think of it doesn't that mean if they place less emphasis on the UKCAT then the other aspects such as GCSE, grades and PS will be more highly weighed...

Yeah I suppose. I think that's fair though. The UKCAT seems very luck-based to me, especially abstract reasoning.
Baki

Is interview selection based solely on UKCAT?

PS and grades too. btw where u thinking of applying?
Reply 28
Isometrix

This is not true. (In the case of Kings) Good grades can offset a poor UKCAT. I got 657.5 in the UKCAT last year, and I got an offer from Kings. I also know many other people who had lower UKCAT scores and still got interviews. Kings do not necessarily require a high UKCAT score, it just stands you in a better stead.
Reply 29
Isometrix
PS and grades too. btw where u thinking of applying?

Newcastle. Well depends on my UKCAT score.

Aberdeen, definitely Barts and London. Maybe UCL again.

bottfly7
This is not true. (In the case of Kings) Good grades can offset a poor UKCAT. I got 657.5 in the UKCAT last year, and I got an offer from Kings. I also know many other people who had lower UKCAT scores and still got interviews. Kings do not necessarily require a high UKCAT score, it just stands you in a better stead.

Already been covered in the OP.
bottfly7

well you'd still consider 657.5 to be classed as a "high" ukcat score.

no, i really do think you need a high ukcat score no matter how good your grades are for kings. my friend was rejected with 8a*s and straight A predictions...

what they say on their website is a load of rubbish. they claimed to have interviewed someone last year with 540 or something...
Reply 31
Isometrix
well you'd still consider 657.5 to be classed as a "high" ukcat score.

no, i really do think you need a high ukcat score no matter how good your grades are for kings. my friend was rejected with 8a*s and straight A predictions...

what they say on their website is a load of rubbish. they claimed to have interviewed someone last year with 540 or something...

Umm a friend of mine.

5 A prediction at A-level with 10A*1A in GCSE got an offer this year with a UKCAT score in the 500's. (something like 560 or something)

She can also speak 3 languages. :rofl:

EDIT: And she's hot. Forgot to mention that. :rofl: Every single variable counts.
Baki
Umm a friend of mine.

5 A prediction at A-level with 10A*1A in GCSE got an offer this year with a UKCAT score in the 500's. (something like 560 or something)

She can also speak 3 languages. :rofl:

oh come on now, you made that up :p:
Reply 33
Isometrix
oh come on now, you made that up :p:

No I didn't.

:laugh:

She could be lying though. :laugh:
I only got 620 and still got 4 interviews (not to successful, but that's not the point). Is there a big gap between just under and just over 600?
Add SGUL to the list of medical schools that are not UKCAT whores.

You are guaranteed an interview if you have...
- 416 points from the top eight subjects at GCSE whereby an A*=58, A=52, B=46, C=40, D=34 and E=28
- actual/predicted grades of AAA/b at A/AS Level
- sat the UKCAT

UKCAT scores are not taken into consideration when they shortlist an applicant for an interview.

The scores, however, do become important if you get placed on their waiting list. Having said that, I still managed to get a place from their waiting list with an average score of 605 and so did SilentGirl whose average score was 587.5.
app. I dont have to pAY MY ukcat fee
which is :awesome:
im keeping the £60
I would have taken my UKCAT today. Then I wussed out. I'll take it middle of next month
Reply 38
Kings - I'm defo not applying there then!!!
Reply 39
Baki
Yes it would be, and the guy who posted that score probably doesn't even have that.

Why not? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending