The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OldPanda
ok, this week i tried to give up smoking, but i couldn't. :redface:

i lasted 5 days, i'm not like properly addicted, i just smoke because i'm bored and out of habit.

anyone see my problem?

Admit you are addicted, it might be a start. Try bongs and eating for your other 'needs'.
majinbuu
You're right yes it it. But believe it or not it can also be quite enjoyable. You could say the exact same thing about alcohol as well seeing as that is also one of Britain's biggest killers, but people still do it because it's enjoyable.

I've made the decision to smoke because it helps me relax and I enjoy it, however, I do make a point of asking those around me if they mind me smoking because it is unreasonable to make other people breathe in my smoke. So yeah, as long as someone is responsible with how they smoke and aware of other people and the risks of doing it..like drinking, then it shouldn't be a problem. You can't tell people they are stupid just because you have a negative attitude towards it, it's a decision that people make.

I see what you're saying. But as far as decisions go it's not the cleverest is it...? Besides, when you ask people if they mind if you smoke I take it you ask those at your table in the pub or whatever. But as I am sure you know smoke doesn't stick to a small confined space around the smoker and will affect people you haven't asked.
Reply 22
Smoke: 1.3 billion people can't be wrong!!
2 5 +

erm... well... actually...
Reply 24
2 5 +

hahaha. :biggrin:
Reply 25
It still amazes me how people can call people that smoke stupid, when they themselves probably go out getting drunk all the time. Drinking does huge amounts of damage to your body!
Reply 26
You are a weak person if you can't quit. And it is YOUR problem, no one here is going to fix it for you.

Be smart and dont smoke in the first place, there are better things to do *Looks lovingly at his faithful right hand* ...

I also only drink on special occassions, like birthdays or football matches :P and dont binge. They dont call me a well toned love machine for nothin :biggrin:
Reply 27
OldPanda
i lasted 5 days, i'm not like properly addicted...

anyone see my problem?

yes. its called denial.
Reply 28
NikNak
It still amazes me how people can call people that smoke stupid, when they themselves probably go out getting drunk all the time. Drinking does huge amounts of damage to your body!

you cant use that on me. you're still stupid :wink:
I smoke, I drink, I like sex with lots of girls and I like going to places filled with people who want to kill me. Stupid? Maybe. Unhealthy? Certainly. I'm having a bloody good time, though, so you can cram your healthy living up your arse.
Reply 30
Inverurie Jones
I smoke, I drink, I like sex with lots of girls and I like going to places filled with people who want to kill me. Stupid? Maybe. Unhealthy? Certainly. I'm having a bloody good time, though, so you can cram your healthy living up your arse.

you seen american beauty?
majinbuu
I've made the decision to smoke because it helps me relax and I enjoy it, however, I do make a point of asking those around me if they mind me smoking because it is unreasonable to make other people breathe in my smoke. So yeah, as long as someone is responsible with how they smoke and aware of other people and the risks of doing it..like drinking, then it shouldn't be a problem. You can't tell people they are stupid just because you have a negative attitude towards it, it's a decision that people make.

:dito: well said :smile:
Reply 32
i don't smoke, it bad for you don't you know? :rolleyes: but i go to smoky bars, which is nearly as bad... and i don't get to do the whole look bored/pout/take a drag thing that smokers do...

no real point to this post, feel free to ignore
Reply 33
Don't say giving up smoking is easy and that people are weak for not being successful, its damn hard. my dad went from smoking 25 a day and up to 5 years after giving up he said he felt he could have gone back to it, my uncle has tried giving up twice and fallen back into it because he felt depressed.

concerning smoking green like said above stick to bongs or buy a pipe or smoke just green joints (bit crazy lol) pipe is prob best option (small so can carry around easily) you just need to remove yourself from tabacco completely for a while, avoid bars/clubs if poss.
Reply 34
medic_bex
i don't smoke, it bad for you don't you know? :rolleyes: but i go to smoky bars, which is nearly as bad... and i don't get to do the whole look bored/pout/take a drag thing that smokers do...

no real point to this post, feel free to ignore

im the same! well kind of.. i dont smoke but practically all my good friends from work do so at the end of a shift everyone lights up and im jus left breathing in all the smoke..
and yeh we dont get to do the whole 'im so cool i smoke' look :rolleyes:
Reply 35
2 5 +

"Smoking: Supporting the NHS for the past 50 years"

As my grandad says . . .
NikNak

It is stupid, they might not be stupid, but they are being very stupid... and I don't drink either.

Oh and if you need an insentive to give up smoking try saving all the cash you would spend on fags and then buy yourself something you really want... except fags, lol.
Reply 37
It's ****ing hard to quit.. I just love it when people who have never had a habit in their lives say "oh, you're so weak and stupid for smoking" :rolleyes:
F. Poste
It's ****ing hard to quit.. I just love it when people who have never had a habit in their lives say "oh, you're so weak and stupid for smoking" :rolleyes:

Well no offense but I'm sure you knew was addictive to start with so it's your own damn fault.

[& while it's not quite the same, I had to go from drinking 2-3 cans of coke + coffee a day to none because my heart is hyper sensitive to caffinee. So I've got a vague idea]
Reply 39
spoonofdeath
Well no offense but I'm sure you knew was addictive to start with so it's your own damn fault.

[& while it's not quite the same, I had to go from drinking 2-3 cans of coke + coffee a day to none because my heart is hyper sensitive to caffinee. So I've got a vague idea]

No offence, but you have no damn idea. I had an addiction to caffiene too, and that was a million times easier to shake. That's only mildly physical and psychological, whereas when you've been smoking up to 20 a day for five years it becomes emotional, habitual, social and psychological. When it's a habit you've learned off your parents, reinforced by your friends, when it becomes a habit to help you deal with everything you've been through (and it's been tougher than the average), when you get so twitchy and nervous without a nicotine fix it feels like you'd rather not exist.. yes, I'd say your idea is very vague.

And all because I was 14, in a hospital for clinical depression and took up smoking because my illness made me certain that caring about my health was worthless? I can't say I'm blameless for my addiction but I refuse to let myself be called stupid and weak.

Latest