Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Final Fantasy Society II

Announcements Posted on
Vote for your favourite games from Q4 in TSR's Game of the Year Awards! 28-11-2014
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squallcloud)
    Hi all,

I haven't played a Final Fantasy properly since 7/8/9, but those were three of my favourite games i have ever played. I must have replayed each one three or four times over the years. I tried X and X-2 but for some reason didnt get on with them. Can anyone recommend if any of the others since have been worth playing? All the reviews i've read when the different games came out just swayed me against playing them.

Thanks
    No. It's time to work backwards now and play the older ones. 12 was tolerable but anything after that should be avoided at all costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    No. It's time to work backwards now and play the older ones. 12 was tolerable but anything after that should be avoided at all costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough, thoughts on if 15 will be good?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, thoughts on if 15 will be good?
    Who knows mate. After the last few I've completely lost faith in square enix. I don't know what they're thinking anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    XII is actually really good. Although the battle system was very different it had a lot of depth and was good fun. The narrative is also fantastic, being about politics instead of almighty magic, gods and similar ilk. Definitely worth getting.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone bothered with lighting returns?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I haven't played a Final Fantasy properly since 7/8/9, but those were three of my favourite games i have ever played. I must have replayed each one three or four times over the years. I tried X and X-2 but for some reason didnt get on with them. Can anyone recommend if any of the others since have been worth playing? All the reviews i've read when the different games came out just swayed me against playing them.

Thanks
    To be honest, like the others said, the games went downhill after X (imo anyway...).

If you like the turn based stuff I'd recommend giving X another shot, particularly as it's getting the HD collection treatment at the end of this month.

Other than that, perhaps have a go at XII and see if you like the battle system. I found the story to be dulllll so if you aren't sure about the gameplay it'll get boring.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Woo! Got Platinum on FF13-2. I actually enjoyed FF13-2 more than FF13. It wasn't as polish as FF13, but it wasn't.... how shall I describe it empty as FF13.

I think though, if FF13 and FF13-2 were combined. FF13 would have been a great game.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    XIII-2 had the edge on the gameplay but the story kind of went out the window.

I played through most of Lightning Returns. I went in without any real expectations, gave it a fair shot, tried my hardest to like it and failed miserably. The lack of any real story kind of ruined it, and whilst I did get the hang of the battle system, I didn't enjoy it at all. The whole time management concept really turned me off as well. I know it was easy to freeze the clock for significant amounts of time but I just found it stressful more than anything.

Gave up around day 9 or so and watched the ending on YouTube, just for the sake of seeing the end of the trilogy. Had it been a standalone I couldn't have cared less.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    XIII-2 had the edge on the gameplay but the story kind of went out the window.

I played through most of Lightning Returns. I went in without any real expectations, gave it a fair shot, tried my hardest to like it and failed miserably. The lack of any real story kind of ruined it, and whilst I did get the hang of the battle system, I didn't enjoy it at all. The whole time management concept really turned me off as well. I know it was easy to freeze the clock for significant amounts of time but I just found it stressful more than anything.

Gave up around day 9 or so and watched the ending on YouTube, just for the sake of seeing the end of the trilogy. Had it been a standalone I couldn't have cared less.
    I didn't mind the story, but I felt about the same way with the gameplay. I did play it all the way through (and got the platinum trophy), but I only played it on easy. Didn't like the time management either. I'm playing FFX HD now and it feels so relaxing in comparison.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I didn't mind the story, but I felt about the same way with the gameplay. I did play it all the way through (and got the platinum trophy), but I only played it on easy. Didn't like the time management either. I'm playing FFX HD now and it feels so relaxing in comparison.
    I'm just finishing off the platinum in FFX HD myself. The Sphere Grid grind is torturous. Looking forward to starting X-2 though. I never played it on PS2.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AugustWestie)
    I'm just finishing off the platinum in FFX HD myself. The Sphere Grid grind is torturous. Looking forward to starting X-2 though. I never played it on PS2.
    Not sure I can be bothered with the platinum. I beat Penance on the PS2 a few years ago, shame I can't just get the trophies from my PS2 save

I have FFXIV waiting for me when I'm done with FFX and X-2 as well. Probably not going to play much other than FF this year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Started Final Fantasy 10 HD, had a crack at the lightning dodge's. I forgot how much of a pita it was to dodge 200 in a row.
    I imagine Lulu won't be getting her upgraded celestial weapon tbh
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Patrick)
    Started Final Fantasy 10 HD, had a crack at the lightning dodge's. I forgot how much of a pita it was to dodge 200 in a row.
    I imagine Lulu won't be getting her upgraded celestial weapon tbh
    I'm at that point too. I'll probably come back when I've got a no encounters weapon though.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The 100% trophy on FFX-2 is a pain in the ass. I've reached chapter 5 without any major issues, but it looks like it's not possible to get 100% in one playthrough, unless you beat the whole of Via Infinito? My plan was to finish the main story line and then come back and grind to complete this. I'm trying to find confirmation on whether it's required, but I see mixed messages. Some say it is and others say it isn't.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 30, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.