The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Reply 1
I am I am :yep:

I've tried to make a start on the list, but Mrs. Dalloway is the first I started to read and it was a bad, bad choice- I don't like it at all. I can't bring myself to put in the effort to continue :smile: so progress is pretty glacial.. yayyy
University of York
York
I'm going to be doing this and philosophy. I also started with Mrs Dolloway, and I really didn't enjoy it either.
I've just started to have a look at the Beckett plays we will be doing, too.

I think there is a good mix on the reading list, at least it will give a bit of variety :smile:

Sloaner - The American Short Stories isnt a bad place to start lol, some good bits in there, and obv all only a few pages long - easy to fit into lunch breaks and what not :P
Mrs Dalloway as a story does get better with the more you read of it as it starts off so slowly, but I'm really not a fan of it either. Woolf's writing style really grates on me and I don't like the character of Clarissa.

I've read the above and Titus Andronicus so far. I'm not progressing very quickly, but never mind!
Reply 4
rainbow drops
Mrs Dalloway as a story does get better with the more you read of it as it starts off so slowly, but I'm really not a fan of it either. Woolf's writing style really grates on me and I don't like the character of Clarissa.

I've read the above and Titus Andronicus so far. I'm not progressing very quickly, but never mind!

Om nom nom < Tf2? :]

Damn, i hardly read i feel so out of place posting here. :redface:
Are all of you actually going to buy the dictionary they've recommended?

imhiya
Om nom nom < Tf2? :]

Damn, i hardly read i feel so out of place posting here. :redface:

You've lost me, I'm afraid. :p:
Reply 6
rainbow drops
Are all of you actually going to buy the dictionary they've recommended?

You've lost me, I'm afraid. :p:

Team fortress 2 is a game, in it a character goes "om nom nom". :P
Reply 7
electro.retro
Sloaner - The American Short Stories isnt a bad place to start lol, some good bits in there, and obv all only a few pages long - easy to fit into lunch breaks and what not :P

I'll conquer that next then:] Finally put Mrs. Dalloway to rest and then mauled my way through Beowulf- it's a really quick read. That's 2 down. I feel I've earned a few weeks break :yes:

I wonder if there'll be anyone on the course who'll say "WOW Dalloway was such a great book, I couldn't get enough of it, IT'S MY OXYGEN"..
Reply 8
And Rainbow Drops, I bought the dictionary because I didn't have a decent one around. Plus with the amount of money the rest cost I figured it's just another drop in the ocean, and it'll do me for ages. I'm sure any dictionary would do though. Or on second thoughts the internet is more than helpful..
Reply 9
sloaner
And Rainbow Drops, I bought the dictionary because I didn't have a decent one around. Plus with the amount of money the rest cost I figured it's just another drop in the ocean, and it'll do me for ages. I'm sure any dictionary would do though. Or on second thoughts the internet is more than helpful..

Your university login information will allow you to access the complete Oxford English Dictionary online so getting a copy of the concise Oxford isn't all that pressing. That said, it's useful to have on the desk. More useful as a reference on language usage may be a copy of Fowler's A Dictionary of Modern English Usage; every used book store I've visited seems to have an edition or two lying around for a couple of quid.

Good luck to all the freshers of next year; the first term's reading is fantastic.

<3 Titus Andronicus

Edit: By the bye, the best bits of the J.B. Morrell Library are the top floor by one of the windows looking out to Central Hall or the foreign literature section on the second floor.

I believe that it was described as "a warehouse for ideas" by either the first Vice Chancellor Baron James of Rusholme or the architect Sir Andrew Derbyshire; I forget who exactly now.
Oh, Mrs Dalloway... it was like Woolf was allowing her brain to dribble into her notebook.

So although it was hard going, I sort of liked it. I know I approve of all the tree and foliage imagery, though I'm still not quite sure what the whole ocean stuff's about (tell me, am I being incredibly blind?) I think I'll come to love it through study.

Oohgooosh I adore the Norton Theory and Criticism anthology. Sometimes, I swear I enjoy criticism more than literature itself...

Anyone dipped in to the American short stories yet? Definitely going to be the highlight for me - I'm an addict when it comes to short stories.

Lucky for me, The Book Depository got scared it lost my custom (I've been in New Zealand for five months and thus disinclined to order books online), and gave me a ten per cent discount on top of their already fairly reasonable prices.

...M'just frightened I'm not going to be able to read everything before term starts. I'm not a prolific reader: I'm a considerate one (ie, I pause to think. A lot. Thus I'm slow.)

NOW, if I can just get the enrollment website to WORK...

Eei, I'm so excited to meet everyone!
I haven't bought the Norton Theory and Criticism Anthology yet... I had to order them all online and I forgot to include that one... but I'd freak out about being left behind so I'll probably get it sooner or later and read the essays they mentioned on the list.

@Chaiteafairy: Don't worry, it's probably better to be a considerate reader in the long run! And yes, I've dipped a little into the short stories... I've read up to The Yellow Wallpaper (which is one of my faves so far) but to be honest I'm looking more forward to the contemporaries...
Reply 12
I shall be Englishing it up in the first term. :cool:

Reading list doesn't look bad; I must get cracking.
Reply 13
electro.retro
I'm going to be doing this and philosophy. I also started with Mrs Dolloway, and I really didn't enjoy it either.
I've just started to have a look at the Beckett plays we will be doing, too.

I think there is a good mix on the reading list, at least it will give a bit of variety :smile:

Me too; good choice.
oh, crud. York's my firm but I have no idea how results went so I didn't want to buy anything on the reading list till I'm sure I'm going there. And you guys have already started reading?! Aah! Well I'm a quick reader, so I've got a few weeks... :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Could some one tell me where this elusive reading list can be found? :smile:
Reply 16

It just got posted in another Eng. Lit. specific thread. Here you go.
Bambi2803
&#61599; The Norton Anthology of Poetry, 5th edition, eds Margaret Ferguson, Mary Jo Salter, and Jon Stallworthy (Norton, 2005), ISBN 9780393979206.

&#61599; The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism, ed. Vincent Leitch (Norton, 2001), ISBN 9780393974294. here is a very short list of recommended essays:
Sidney, ‘An Apology for Poetry’. 1580
Shelley, ‘A Defence of Poetry’. 1821
Freud, ‘The Uncanny’. 1919
Benjamin, ‘The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction’. 1936
Cixous, ‘The Laugh of the Medusa’. 1975.
Said, ‘Orientalism’. 1981
Eagleton, ‘The Rise of English’. 1983

&#61599; The Oxford Book of American Short Stories, ed. Joyce Carol Oates (Oxford University Press, 2004), ISBN 9780195092622.
&#61599; Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway, ed. Stella McNichol (Penguin, 2000), ISBN 9780141182490.
&#61599; William Shakespeare, Titus Andronicus, ed. Eugene Waith, Oxford World’s Classics, 1998. ISBN 9780199536108.

&#61599; Samuel Beckett, Complete Dramatic Works (Faber, 2006), ISBN 0571229158 /9780571229154.
&#61599; Seamus Heaney, Beowulf (Faber, 1999), ISBN 9780571230419.

Reference Books
&#61599; The Concise Oxford Dictionary, recent edition (e.g. 11th).
&#61599; M.H. Abrams, A Glossary of Literary Terms, 7th Edition (Thomson Learning, 2008 ISBN 9781413033939)
&#61599; John Lennard and Mary Luckhurst, The Drama Handbook (Oxford University Press, 2002), ISBN 9780198700708.
Recommended
John Seely’s The Oxford A-Z of Grammar and Punctuation (Oxford University Press, 2007, ISBN 9780199233465)
Judith Woolf, Writing About Literature: Essay and Translation Skills for University Students of English and Foreign Literature (Routledge, 2005), ISBN 9780415314459.

Good thing i had this saved on me computer :biggrin:
Reply 17
Ah! Thank you very much :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending