The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Google got me thinking about this....and the fact Nicola is a feminine name in the UK

I guess you can assume that all discoveries and advances in technologies were inevitabilities.....if it wasnt the Nikola Teslas (google home page influence there) and Alexander Graham Bells someone else would eventually come up with the same inventions........or would they?

Same stuff different names.

If you look at all the major inventions of that era it was ALL male, its hard to say whether this is down to their unique achievements stemming from the fact they were born a male;

or they would achieve those things regardless of gender and just so happened to be a dude in a patriarchal society

so pressumably exactly where we are now, except society would then be only influenced by female characteristics
Reply 61
dreadnaut
Google got me thinking about this....and the fact Nicola is a feminine name in the UK

I guess you can assume that all discoveries and advances in technologies were inevitabilities.....if it wasnt the Nikola Teslas (google home page influence there) and Alexander Graham Bells someone else would eventually come up with the same inventions........or would they?

Same stuff different names.

If you look at all the major inventions of that era it was ALL male, its hard to say whether this is down to their unique achievements stemming from the fact they were born a male;

or they would achieve those things regardless of gender and just so happened to be a dude in a patriarchal society

so pressumably exactly where we are now, except society would then be only influenced by female characteristics

I'd agree with you if you could give a satisfactory explanation for why female contribution to the science and technology sector has been so poor over the years, including the last few decades in which oppression has been minimal at the most. Since oppression is not inherited by children, why don't they start making equal amounts of discoveries and so on?
What a bloody stupid question.
How are we supposed to guess what women would and wouldn't have achieved if they had been left to form a society by themselves.
There almost definately would have been more things achieved by females though, as women would have had access to education and career paths that were denied to them.
Reply 63
Misogynist
I don't think I am personally. I was only as patronising and dogmatic as you were.

I was presenting counter-arguments, you were repeating points, calling people dumb, digging at my A-level subject choice and such. Anyway, if you don't think you were, I'm sure I can't convince you that you were, so I'm out.
I suspect a vast majority would have died. Except instead of calling them world war I, II... they would've been called the battle of the bitches I, II, III, IV, V....

Seriously now, things would probably not be completely the same, but you could probably say that if it went the other way, too.

Both sexes are responsible for the world we have today.
Reply 65
nuodai
I was presenting counter-arguments, you were repeating points, calling people dumb, digging at my A-level subject choice and such. Anyway, if you don't think you were, I'm sure I can't convince you that you were, so I'm out.

You didn't seem to understand my points so repetition was necessary. Dismissing as my arguments as not being counter arguments isn't very productive either. To be frank, your debating style is laughable.

I didn't call anyone dumb. You asked for a definition, I simply supplied it. I also found it amusing you didn't know about a significant mathematical concept so I brought it up. At any rate - I don't mind if you're out.
Reply 66
Every since the dawn of humanity. One gender has been known for producing art,music,science,war,weaponry,philosophy and exploration. The other gender just spent the time putting make up on.

Hi HO!
Misogynist
I'd agree with you if you could give a satisfactory explanation for why female contribution to the science and technology sector has been so poor over the years, including the last few decades in which oppression has been minimal at the most. Since oppression is not inherited by children, why don't they start making equal amounts of discoveries and so on?

I guess there isnt really one apart from girls still dont go for science and engineering as much as guys do, even when given the choice; perhaps that preference is just inherent.

At a basic level a woman is programmed to operate in a different way to a man in terms of primative instincts....could be that coming through
Reply 68
Abhead
What a bloody stupid question.
How are we supposed to guess what women would and wouldn't have achieved if they had been left to form a society by themselves.
There almost definitely would have been more things achieved by females though, as women would have had access to education and career paths that were denied to them.

That'd only be true if now - when every career path is open to them - they were contributing to science and technology at an alarming rate, which they aren't.
Misogynist
So you're saying you'd still be on your laptop, posting on this forum if men did not exist? How dumb.

Why wouldn't I be? Although it was men who invented the laptop, if they had been wiped out post 1800s, at some subsequent point women would have invented it.
Reply 70
Stettin
Every since the dawn of humanity. One gender has been known for producing art,music,science,war,weaponry,philosophy and exploration. The other gender just spent the time putting make up on.

Hi HO!

This. Actually, I've never heard of a female philosopher. That's interesting.
The world would be a much pinker place.
Reply 72
Olivia_Lightbulb
Why wouldn't I be? Although it was men who invented the laptop, if they had been wiped out post 1800s, at some subsequent point women would have invented it.

Why aren't they inventing similar gadgets today then? Why is it always a man who is the innovator?
Jonty99
You think men and women are identical in every way? That's blatantly untrue, so yes, they do have different skills. It's been documented that males and females are both better at different things.

If that's misogynistic babble to you, then OK. It seems to me like it's fact.

What are these 'different skills' you keep referring to? What different things are men and women better at? Why is this 'fact'; do you have evidence to support your currently unfounded claims?
Ice_Queen
Hey, do you know it takes less than 27 men 24 hours to produce enough sperm (constantly) to reproduce the entire population?
Even though, it is not related to the thread at all, It is the only sensible, interesting thing I have read in this entire thread. To sum up other than some hissy fit between the people in this thread about something entirely speculative. I have learnt what you have just told me, Thank you.

+ Rep sometime
Misogynist
Why aren't they inventing similar gadgets today then? Why is it always a man who is the innovator?

Because women are just overcoming years of subjugation under a patriachal society. If men had been wiped out post 1800s, women would have been given freedoms and responsibilities that they only won much later in our current society.
Reply 76
Olivia_Lightbulb
What are these 'different skills' you keep referring to? What different things are men and women better at? Why is this 'fact'; do you have evidence to support your currently unfounded claims?

Skills: Men - Everything.

Women - Taking care of children, cooking and cleaning.
Reply 77
Olivia_Lightbulb
Because women are just overcoming years of subjugation under a patriachal society. If men had been wiped out post 1800s, women would have been given freedoms and responsibilities that they only won much later in our current society.

Which part of OPPRESSION IS NOT INHERITED can't you understand? Children today don't even know what happened decades ago! This is just an obvious, blatant excuse used by women all the time.
OneEyedYellowIdol
The public sector would grind to a halt as most workers would be off on the sick or on paternity leave. The NHS which is predominately female would literally grind to a halt as their would not be enough nurses to help deal with the sick.
The private sector would be bogged down intolerably, to the extent that workers wouldn't be worth their salt as they seek to work flexi-time and only go to work 3 days a week with ridiculously short hours, because young aspiring university graduates seeking to be professional people won't relinquish that dream in favour of raising a family.

So I'd say the economy would be struggling quite hard.

Other problems include:
Heavy things would remain unlifted and spiders would rule bathrooms worldwide.

Who said anything about a large about of women deciding to reproduce at the same time? :s-smilie: it's not like 95% of the population is going to be in labour on the same day.

Could always invent something to lift the heavy things...
I'm not afraid of spiders and i'm female :P don't be stereotypical, I know plenty of guys who wouldn't even go to sleep in the same room as a spider and girls who would simple hover them up.
Reply 79
Almost relevant =P

#126218 +(8651)- [X]

<WiLdSeXyPrInCeSs> i luv guyz where would they be wifout us gals???
<XeNoX> Still in the Garden Of Eden you gullible bitch.

Latest