The Student Room Group

Muse Society II - Join the Resistance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rich2606
I preferred the lyrics of the days when he was big into teenage angst (no one ever expects those to be good) or when the music was so loud and he mumbled so much the lyrics were incomprehensible anyway :p:

Now he's attempting to tackle bigger themes he should make more effort to make sure his lyrics don't undermine it by being painfully obvious and full of clichés. I remember someone ages ago said that Muse tell you it's the end of the world, whereas Radiohead make you feel that it is the end of the world, that's the difference.

yay the pointless Muse/Radiohead comparisons that both bands have been trying to get away from for years returns!
Original post by museobsessed
yay the pointless Muse/Radiohead comparisons that both bands have been trying to get away from for years returns!

:rolleyes: How was it not a valid comparison?
Original post by museobsessed

I wouldn't say that's a pointless point, as it were. I get what he means, the two bands create different feelings.
Personally I can't see many similarities between the bands post Showbiz/The Bends.
Original post by rich2606
I preferred the lyrics of the days when he was big into teenage angst (no one ever expects those to be good) or when the music was so loud and he mumbled so much the lyrics were incomprehensible anyway :p:

Now he's attempting to tackle bigger themes he should make more effort to make sure his lyrics don't undermine it by being painfully obvious and full of clichés. I remember someone ages ago said that Muse tell you it's the end of the world, whereas Radiohead make you feel that it is the end of the world, that's the difference.

Absolution certainly wasn't teenage angst, and that's widely considered their best work (along with OoS). The thing with Muse is that the lyrics have never been as key as they are for other bands. Muse make up for that with their great music, makes the **** lyrics more acceptable :tongue:
RE: Matt's lyrics being crap. So why don't they just become an instrumental band, then? There are a lot of smaller instrumental bands out there that lose nothing by not having a lead singer. It would be a refreshing change for a massive band to do it, and would result in a proper change in direction that will both please the fans and generate a load of publicity. I appreciate them wanting to evolve and change, but they're all over the place with their genre selection and it doesn't really work half of the time.

(I'd also love to see them do something along the lines of The Futureheads' latest a cappella album, but more for comic value :tongue:)
Original post by JohnnySPal
RE: Matt's lyrics being crap. So why don't they just become an instrumental band, then? There are a lot of smaller instrumental bands out there that lose nothing by not having a lead singer. It would be a refreshing change for a massive band to do it, and would result in a proper change in direction that will both please the fans and generate a load of publicity. I appreciate them wanting to evolve and change, but they're all over the place with their genre selection and it doesn't really work half of the time.

(I'd also love to see them do something along the lines of The Futureheads' latest a cappella album, but more for comic value :tongue:)

They might think they dabbled in instrumentals with Exogenesis. I know it has lyrics, but they're certainly not very prominent. They do have a few instrumental songs too such as The Gallery :smile:
Original post by platty1907
They might think they dabbled in instrumentals with Exogenesis. I know it has lyrics, but they're certainly not very prominent. They do have a few instrumental songs too such as The Gallery :smile:

Hullabaloo is a sorely underrated album.

Also, Muse are officially ****ers. Why are they making this available only via the Apple markets? I might be overreacting, but if I can't find this readily available online or via Android then they can nanas. I can forgive them not giving coverage of Leeds (with the massive Megalomania flames), but this... Hmph.

EDIT: Oh, it's free. That's a good start I guess, but doesn't help me much seeing as though I don't own Apple equipment.

EDIT II: Ahh man, I can't stay mad at them. The Bliss falsetto sample is amazing <3 http://muse.mu/360reading/

EDIT III: Oh, wait, I think you need to pay a fiver for the whole lot within the free app. Okay, I'm revoking my truce again. Bastards :tongue:

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JohnnySPal

I love that album. :love:
I didn't think any of the members liked Muse. It's not exactly mainstream, so...I love you for posting this though. :biggrin:
Muse have revealed the album artwork for The 2nd Law.

http://muse.mu/news/article/791/the-2nd-law-album-cover-revealed/

Thoughts? My first reaction was that it doesn't seem very well suited to both Muse and the album itself.
Original post by RedDevilThing
Muse have revealed the album artwork for The 2nd Law.

http://muse.mu/news/article/791/the-2nd-law-album-cover-revealed/

Thoughts? My first reaction was that it doesn't seem very well suited to both Muse and the album itself.

Yeah at first I thought it was a little unusual... I'm just going to wait for some interviews to find out why they chose that image. It's quite a specific image so I'm assuming it must have some ties to the album or some of the songs.
MUSE: We took inspiration from Skrillex

The dubstep thing was just an experiment though, right? The rest of the album will presumably follow suit as to what we heard with their Olympic song?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Converse Rocker
The dubstep thing was just an experiment though, right? The rest of the album will presumably follow suit as to what we heard with their Olympic song?

Here's a good summary from an NME article that included an interview with the band:

http://www.muselive.com/index.php?m=single&id=6747

Whilst yes, the whole album isn't going to be dubstep-influenced (I think the interview mentioned that only two tracks will be in any way influenced by dubstep), but neither is the album going to be like Survival (which I think they said is the most OTT song on the album). The article mentions a whole host of different influences and styles in the music so it sounds pretty varied.
Album artwork looks like a load of ****.
Reply 6315
Original post by hothedgehog
Album artwork looks like a load of ****.

Agreed.

Although it's quite interesting if you read around the link they posted with it.

http://www.humanconnectomeproject.org/
Original post by Futurism
Agreed.

Although it's quite interesting if you read around the link they posted with it.

http://www.humanconnectomeproject.org/

It is interesting but I want something nice to look at. Not a scientific diagram. I look at enough of them nowadays anyway. Why can't we just have something that looks 'nice'.
It is interesting but I want something nice to look at. Not a scientific diagram. I look at enough of them nowadays anyway. Why can't we just have something that looks 'nice'.

I don't mind that it's scientific, I just don't think it suits the theme of the album very well. It would've made a good cover for the Madness single but even something like the particle collision pics they used to promote the album would've been better suited for the album cover IMO.
don't mind the album artwork. however, i still think survival kind of sucks. muse really have gone downhill of late (imo).

i wish i was old enough to have appreciated them in 2001 - 2004.

I think that does look "nice". Science can be beautiful.

Quick Reply