The Student Room Group

English not my first language

Thanks so much for this thread!

So I was wondering, I'm a Dutch student, so I've learned everything in Dutch language.
And I'm going to apply for Medicine, so I know all of the Bio, chem, phys, and math-related specific terms in Dutch instead of English.. I've started revising every subject in English already (for the 2010 cycle, I'll have to take the BMAT in november this year), but do you think they'll take into account the fact that I haven't learned everything in English in the first place?
They will consider your circumstances, however as medicine is highly competitive and they have strict quotas a factor such as knowledge of the subject in english may be a deciding one. The good thing is they interview you so if you are a good candidate and can speak fluently about your subject (and passionately) there's no reason why you shouldn't be considered.
I think some unis will require an official standard of English.

Here is the one for King's, for example.
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ug/apply/langreq.html
Reply 3
I had a question about the predicted grades. Can my teachers only give me one overall (predicted) grade, or can my teachers predict my grades for each individual subject?
How about doing some work experience in a healthcare setting in the UK? It would help you to both improve your English and learn English terms, and get work experience (which unis here require for medicine)
Reply 5
Thank you for the replies! (:

Yeah I'd love to work in a healthcare setting in the UK, but the problem is that I am currently (still) living in the Netherlands.. ):

I think the best option for me is to just learn all the English terms then? o: Oh and by the way, I don't need to prepare beyond the GCSE-level sciences, right (for the BMAT, that is)?

Does anyone know a good way for me to revise everything in English? I really have no idea where to start :confused:
Reply 6
ryopii
I had a question about the predicted grades. Can my teachers only give me one overall (predicted) grade, or can my teachers predict my grades for each individual subject?
It depends on what is normal for your qualification.
Reply 7
Well at our college it's normal to be given a grade for each individual subject o: Where in the UCAS form can I add these individual predicted grades, by the way? o:

(Oh and I'm so sorry for posting that in the wrong thread!)
Reply 8
ryopii
Well at our college it's normal to be given a grade for each individual subject o: Where in the UCAS form can I add these individual predicted grades, by the way? o:

(Oh and I'm so sorry for posting that in the wrong thread!)
You don't; your referee quotes them in your reference.
ryopii
Thank you for the replies! (:

Yeah I'd love to work in a healthcare setting in the UK, but the problem is that I am currently (still) living in the Netherlands.. ):

I think the best option for me is to just learn all the English terms then? o: Oh and by the way, I don't need to prepare beyond the GCSE-level sciences, right (for the BMAT, that is)?

Does anyone know a good way for me to revise everything in English? I really have no idea where to start :confused:

Well those doing the BMAT will have usually taken their AS levels in chosen sciences leading to a better understanding if not much better knowledge in some sciences.

Latest

Trending

Trending