The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Pure Mathematics vs AI Mathematics

Hello fellow students.

So I have a few doubts right now.

I got 2 conditional offers for Pure Maths and AI and Maths and I achieved the conditionals for both. 2 months ago I declined the Pure maths offer and put AI+maths as a option.
Right now I'm feeling a bit of cold feet I guess, I'm afraid that I won't be studying much pure maths since this course is from the Informatics Department.
I heard the MA requires you to choose a 2nd subject, right?
I was thinking about transferring to Pure maths and then choosing a "minor" in Computer Science/AI.

Huh my question is is it easy to transfer? And does it really differ that much?

Thank you all! I really wish current students could help me out! :smile:
Reply 1
For AI + Maths you do exactly the same maths modules that you would do if you did just pure maths. The only difference is that since your doing AI as well, you get less "free" credits to do some random outside course.
It may say your part of the informatics department but you are actually also part of the maths department as well.

This should clear things up,
https://www.star.euclid.ed.ac.uk/ipp/udaimat.htm
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
gammapulsar
Hello fellow students.

So I have a few doubts right now.

I got 2 conditional offers for Pure Maths and AI and Maths and I achieved the conditionals for both. 2 months ago I declined the Pure maths offer and put AI+maths as a option.
Right now I'm feeling a bit of cold feet I guess, I'm afraid that I won't be studying much pure maths since this course is from the Informatics Department.
I heard the MA requires you to choose a 2nd subject, right?
I was thinking about transferring to Pure maths and then choosing a "minor" in Computer Science/AI.

Huh my question is is it easy to transfer? And does it really differ that much?

Thank you all! I really wish current students could help me out! :smile:
Yeah, basically what mitz said. You'll get to do plenty of maths courses, in fact, in your first year you'll do as much maths as someone who's just doing maths (but they'll have to choose outside courses from different subjects whereas you'll be doing informatics courses)!
In later years it's pretty flexible as to what courses you choose. If you feel like you want to do lots of maths then you can choose more maths than informatics, as long as you're doing the informatics courses you're required to do. The fact that you're doing A.I. with maths doesn't mean you won't be able to choose to do pure maths courses. Of course, if you want to switch to just maths after completing your first year of A.I. with maths then it's extremely easy to do so. I started off doing maths with computer science (which in first year consists of exactly the same courses as A.I. with maths) but then after a year of it realised I was pretty bad at computer science so switched to just maths. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Latest

Trending

Trending