The Student Room Group

Baxter tables

Baxter tables are used by the university to rank college exam performance for each subject and year. They are not made public so if we want to see them we'll have to calculate them ourselves :p:

To calculate a Baxter Table

Get a class list for one subject and one year.

For each college, assign each individual mark a score from the following table:

Class 1 = Baxter score 5
Class 2.1 = Baxter score 3
Class 2.2 = Baxter scroe 2
Class 3 = Baxter score 1
Ordinary = Baxter score 0
Fail = not counted

Then find the mean for each college (add up the scores for each college and divide by the number of individual scores for that college).

Rank the colleges highest to lowest.

Scroll to see replies

Well, go on then. I dunno about you, but I can't be arsed. :p:
Reply 2
:laugh:

Let us know when you're done, son. You might even finish before they publish the Tompkins Table!
Reply 3
SPS part IIA 2009

Spoiler

Reply 4
Economics Part 1 2009 (calculated by alex_hk90)

Spoiler

Reply 5
I'll do natsci 1A (perhaps until I get bored of an endless list of undivided 2nds, but still, i have nothing better to do :tongue:)
Reply 6
surely what you're doing above is meaningless - the 'baxter score' is a college measure, not a subject-college measure... the samples are so small that nothing interesting is there, and you learn more just looking at a class list (plus, people who fail don't show up on the class lists, so even what you have posted is likely wrong).
Reply 7
And there's several other people who don't fail that don't show up on the classlist either.
Reply 8
I'mnotplato
SPS part IIA 2009

Spoiler

Lol, 3.33 is more than the number of SPS students we have in Peterhouse :rolleyes:
Reply 9
PPS Part 1 2009

Spoiler

Reply 10
Craghyrax
Lol, 3.33 is more than the number of SPS students we have in Peterhouse :rolleyes:

Er, so? 3.33 is the average Baxter score. It's not supposed to be the number of people doing SPS in that year at Peterhouse...
I'mnotplato
Er, so? 3.33 is the average Baxter score. It's not supposed to be the number of people doing SPS in that year at Peterhouse...

Yes but its still just amusingly misleading. Same with Tompkins. People put that much emphasis to one college getting x many more firsts than another and you're looking at three students in total :rolleyes:

Incidentally I don't have a problem with Baxter/Tompkins etc. I just don't know why you're bothering to do this two weeks before somebody else does it for you :p:
Reply 12
SPS Part IIB 2009

Spoiler

*suspects this is West Wing's dupe* :wink:

EDIT: Why is there a Peterhouse figure for Part IIB? :eyeball: We don't have any Part IIB students :lolwut:
Reply 14
Craghyrax
I just don't know why you're bothering to do this two weeks before somebody else does it for you :p:

But we won't get to see the Baxter tables.
Reply 15
Craghyrax

EDIT: Why is there a Peterhouse figure for Part IIB? :eyeball: We don't have any Part IIB students :lolwut:

There's a result for 'Hepplewhite M R E'
I'mnotplato
There's a result for 'Hepplewhite M R E'

That's very confusing. I thought he was a historian, but shall ask.
EDIT: His facebook says he's SPS, so he must have switched.
I'mnotplato
SPS Part IIB 2009

Spoiler

Last for Sidney always a proud moment!
Reply 18
thelostchild
Last for Sidney always a proud moment!

With many more to come, I'm sure.

P.S. I didn't know you were on TSR.
I'mnotplato
Economics Part 1 2009 (calculated by alex_hk90)

I've attached the full table (in OpenDocument format) if anyone wants to see it.

Of course it won't be fully accurate as not everyone who took the exam is on the class list.

Latest

Trending

Trending