The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yasmeenax
I have proof that they make a wonderful replacement for a crappy education, for GCSE exams :yep: Obviously, if one has been to a good school then one would object... :p:

Anyways, let's take this outside :rolleyes:

Tbh, the French one helped me in 4th year, but I did mainly IGCSEs this year, so it annoyed me that they were the only revision books in WHSmiths, which meant that I had to buy off amazon ;[
Reply 21
Did AQA chemistry (new spec) + Edexcel biology (also new spec) and used the cgp revision guides. I found they were really good for getting to the main points, although a heck load of details have been missed out.

I also did many many past papers which were not specifically for these exams because there ARE NO BLOODY PAST papers for them -.- But they still helped, I did all the specification papers.

Obviously I used the text books as well.

Can I just ask, why are you asking this question? It's too late to regret how crap you did in your AS exams now :tongue:
Reply 22
Ben77mc
Tbh, the French one helped me in 4th year, but I did mainly IGCSEs this year, so it annoyed me that they were the only revision books in WHSmiths, which meant that I had to buy off amazon ;[

Ahh, fair play! I had to buy most off Amazon, too, because they didn't always have the guide for the board I needed. But, Amazon was a lot cheaper than Smithy's :smile:
Princestia
Anyone achieved a grade A at AS level using just CGP revision guides for biology+chemistry?

Ones on here basically:
http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/productList.asp?list=as_science

If so, what exam board were you on and did you use the exam board specific CGP revision guide or the general AS level biology/chemistry revision guide suitable for all specifications?

I did biology at AS level but not chemistry. The exam board was AQA A. I used the general biology CGP book, for all specs, plus loads of past papers; managed (if I may say so) a respectable 292/300, so they can't be that bad!
Reply 24
Bio and Chem? NO

If you had said Maths, then that, just attending the lessons, paying a little attention will get you your A at AS, no books or whatsoever needed.
Reply 25
New Spec you can still use past papers for. I haven't found being on a new spec any disadvantage other than having to combine a few modules for chemistry. They still follow on, eg for OCR Chem the first question was still (as it is in the majority of the past papers) define relative isotopic mass and on isotopes for module 1... question structure hasn't really changed at all.

I couldn't have gottan A's using just CGP revision guides.. I used the syllabus as a referance point, the text book that came with the course, lesson notes and then looked up anything in other revision books I had or on the net that I didn't fully understand after everything else. Syllabus specific books are the best as although the majority of all the courses are similar, they are not exactly the same and so generalised books will miss out some stuff you need to know or go into too much detail into something you don't.
Reply 26
Yasmeenax
Not for GCSE's, they don't!

Really? :s-smilie:
I find them really annoying with all their 'jokes' and crappy layouts. I used to love them in year 9 until I found out there were other better revision guides by letts and lonsdale.
Reply 27
You really need to pull off all stops for an A grade, you need to know the stuff like the back of your hand and do intense past paper practice, otherwise the only other way is sheer luck, but this only happens in the odd one module!
Reply 28
no :frown: i did crap with them tbh. I use the set revision books much better although I doubt I've done any better :frown:
Reply 29
YESSS.

Trust me, them and the classroom textbook are pretty much what i used. And i got A's. Deffos get cgp, even if you use other books. CGP are the best books out there.
Reply 30
I used the CGP book as the main focus for my AQA AS Chemistry revision, and I'm hoping to get an A.
Reply 31
99% sure I will do yes. OCR AS Chem and SNAB Bio.
Palladio
CGP sucks

I concur.
Palladio
I find them really annoying with all their 'jokes' and crappy layouts. I used to love them in year 9 until I found out there were other better revision guides by letts and lonsdale.

And those endorsed by the awarding bodies themselves. Edexcel and OCR do this quite a bit AFAIK.
i did get As for both in january, but i didn't use cgp revision guides alone~~
CGP books are so, so bad. They're not funny.
Anyway for Chemistry, if you're on OCR, Heinemann do pretty good revision guides.
Reply 36
http://www.collinseducation.com/TitlesListing/pages/productshow.aspx?Level1=Secondary&ProductId=40254

i used this series of books wirtten by AQA examiners so includes EVERYTHING you need to know and helped me on my way to 94/100 in my first chem exam but this is for AQA

good luck
Reply 37
Palladio

I used to feel the same way, until I realised that (with AQA Additional Science, at least) they were the best for detail (compared only with Londsdale, that is. I haven't seen the Letts ones). I liked the layout eventually, as I got used to it and began to prefer it to others. It helps once you do become more familiar with it, because you then know what's pertinent and what isn't, etc. I used to prefer Lonsdale, but changed my mind because of the detail thing..
I did... :smile:.
Reply 39
All I used to get 90/90 in my first biology AS unit was the specification, the CGP guide and where I was a little unsure, wikipedia / an old-fashioned textbook.

To be fair, I did have a lot of relevant knowledge prior to studying for the exam but most of the exam-specific knowledge I gained from the CGP guide. Though I know I could not have got the same mark for chemistry with the CGP guide as it wasn't as good.

Ben77mc
but I did mainly IGCSEs this year, so it annoyed me that they were the only revision books in WHSmiths, which meant that I had to buy off amazon ;[

What's wrong with Amazon?! Oh, and your sig is quite unfair, spelling 'grammer' when referring to English grammer like that is an acceptable spelling, contrary to much popular belief. (Please, please do not reply with a wikipedia article URL - I can see one coming).

Latest