The Student Room Group

HPV Vaccine

So, I got the HPV vaccine letter through the post the other day :s-smilie:
I'm terrified of needles/injections and apparently there are loads of possible nasty side effects...and also I'd have to have an injection on 3 separate occasions...just thinking about it makes me feel faint :/
My mum is all for it, but it's not like it's a cure for cancer is it?
Does anyone know the solid facts about the vaccine?
Also, I thought you had to be a virgin, hence why they were giving them only to younger students than myself at first (I'm 17).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You don't have to be a virgin to have it.

It protects you from the most common type of cervical cancer, so it's best to have it. What would you rather have, three injections or hundreds?

Very low possibility of side effects aswell.

www.nhs.uk/hpv
Hexasol
You don't have to be a virgin to have it.

It protects you from the most common type of cervical cancer, so it's best to have it. What would you rather have, three injections or hundreds?

Very low possibility of side effects aswell.

www.nhs.uk/hpv

Thanks for the link. Yuck even reading about it makes me feel light headed! I don't know why.
Oh and I love your sig, it always makes me giggle :p:
Reply 3
missaphrodite
Thanks for the link. Yuck even reading about it makes me feel light headed! I don't know why.
Oh and I love your sig, it always makes me giggle :p:

xP Thanks

I want to have the vaccine, I just missed it at school and I have no idea when they'll do it at college..

At times like these I wish I was a guy :frown:
Reply 4
I've had two of the three injections. I'm terrified of needles so I used the HPV ones to get myself ready for the 8 I've had to have to go Africa. (Will have had a total of 11 injections this year :eek3: ).

It really isn't that bad. It hurts for a few days (feels like a bruise when you press it) afterwards but compared to the typhoid vaccine it's nothing.

Regarding the side affects: there are two vaccines that can be used against HPV: Gardasil or Cervarix. The majority of horror stories on the internet are about Gardasil. The NHS used Cervarix.

I've personally had worst side affects from the rabies, yellow fever, hepatitis A/B and typhoid vaccines I've had and they've been around for years.
Hravan
I've had two of the three injections. I'm terrified of needles so I used the HPV ones to get myself ready for the 8 I've had to have to go Africa. (Will have had a total of 11 injections this year :eek3: ).

It really isn't that bad. It hurts for a few days (feels like a bruise when you press it) afterwards but compared to the typhoid vaccine it's nothing.

Regarding the side affects: there are two vaccines that can be used against HPV: Gardasil or Cervarix. The majority of horror stories on the internet are about Gardasil. The NHS used Cervarix.

I've personally had worst side affects from the rabies, yellow fever, hepatitis A/B and typhoid vaccines I've had and they've been around for years.

Christ! Horror stories...rabies injections!!
And I really wanted to see Africa someday...maybe it's not for me!

Ahem...thanks for this, really useful :smile:
Reply 6
missaphrodite
Christ! Horror stories...rabies injections!!
And I really wanted to see Africa someday...maybe it's not for me!

Ahem...thanks for this, really useful :smile:

Rabies is an optional injection if you're likely to end up in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't prevent the disease but it does give you an extra 12 hours (I think) to get to a hospital to get the antidote. All for the lovely cost of £100 :eek:
Hravan
Rabies is an optional injection if you're likely to end up in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't prevent the disease but it does give you an extra 12 hours (I think) to get to a hospital to get the antidote. All for the lovely cost of £100 :eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Still, rabies is a seriously horrible disease, so it's probably worth it!
Oh dear...so is cervical cancer I suppose...:o:
Reply 8
missaphrodite
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Still, rabies is a seriously horrible disease, so it's probably worth it!
Oh dear...so is cervical cancer I suppose...:o:

Tell the nurse as soon as you go in that you have a needle phobia. Most should then try to keep it out of your vision and talk to you about random stuff while they do it.
It helps. :yep:
Reply 9
Hravan
Ah yes, but Gardasil is the one that offers the best protection. :wink:

missaphrodite
:rofl:
Well, you know, there are other ways to get cervical cancer and there are other types of cancer, that's what I meant!
I had my first one and had no side effects, so you might not either. :smile:
I'm 18 and havn't been replying to the letters they have been sending me from the doctors surgery- they sent it twice. Can I still get it done or is it under 18s only? I am a virgin.
Reply 13
missaphrodite
So, I got the HPV vaccine letter through the post the other day :s-smilie:
I'm terrified of needles/injections and apparently there are loads of possible nasty side effects...and also I'd have to have an injection on 3 separate occasions...just thinking about it makes me feel faint :/
Does anyone know the solid facts about the vaccine?
Also, I thought you had to be a virgin, hence why they were giving them only to younger students than myself at first (I'm 17).

Ah, it's so not a big deal, I didn't even realise my nurse had given me an injection and my arm just felt a little achy that night. Anyhow, imagine the pain of cancer! But no of course it's not a cure, but IMO it's worth having. It would be awful to get cervical cancer and realise you might have been able to prevent it.
Reply 14
Anonymous
I'm 18 and havn't been replying to the letters they have been sending me from the doctors surgery- they sent it twice. Can I still get it done or is it under 18s only? I am a virgin.

No you can still get it done, I'm 18 and had mine last week.
Anonymous

You need to get the first shot before September, otherwise you'll have to pay for it.
Anonymous

You should be able to if they have sent letters, had my first when i was 18 anyway. Just ring and check :smile:
And don't worry, it's not terrifying!
You don;t have to be a virgin and it protects you from cancer-what's not to like? :p:. I've had it and had no real problems apart from my arm aching for a few days. No big deal though.
By vaccinating you against certain HPV strains - the ones most linked with causing cervical cancer - it decreases your chance of getting it.
That's a lot science cancelled down into a sentence.
I didn't really have any side effects, and I have my last injection in December. I just had a stiff arm for a couple of days. That was it. :dontknow: And... I'm not a virgin. So. :rofl:

Latest