The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
co_co_vogue
If my predicted grades are CCC, do I have any chance of getting in to any decent Universities? (not top Uni's.)
I'm applying for 2010.
I've taken: law, art and psychology.
I have literally no idea where to apply to and where I have a chance of getting in. I want to avoid London.

I've found Edinburgh Napier and Stirling with CCC entry requirements.

I'm hoping to do psychology next year as well, and from the unis I've looked at, they all seem to ask for As and Bs at A level. I'm sure there are plenty that ask for lower grades. If you don't get the grades you are after then there are other options like resits, going to a different uni, going through clearing, or doing a foundation year. I'll most likely be doing one of these because I'm doing a level 3 btec, and even though it's equivalent to A levels, it's probs looked down upon :frown: lol. I've heard that psychology is quite popular, so it's gonna be more competitive.

Anyway look on the bright side; they are only predicted grades, not guaranteed. You never know, you might surprise yourself! :biggrin:
Reply 21
GodspeedGehenna
So why are you bothering to retake if you're just going to go to a CCC university? What's the point?

I've been reccommended to by teachers.
zoe_uwe
its not really throwing money down the drain. Believe it or not even people with average grades can find uni an rewarding and worth while experience.

For £20,000 you could have far more "rewarding and worth while experiences" travelling the world instead of wasting 3 years at university.

Uni isn't a holiday and it shouldn't be treated as such. To do so is just setting yourself up for failure and massive debt afterwards. In my opinion, if someone can't muster above CCC then they probably shouldn't be at university.

Cruel, but true.
co_co_vogue
I've been reccommended to by teachers.

So what if you get AAA? Are just going to continue at a CCC university with **** prospects and unrespected by employers?
Reply 24
GodspeedGehenna
For £20,000 you could have far more "rewarding and worth while experiences" travelling the world instead of wasting 3 years at university.

Uni isn't a holiday and it shouldn't be treated as such. To do so is just setting yourself up for failure and massive debt afterwards. In my opinion, if someone can't muster above CCC then they probably shouldn't be at university.

Cruel, but true.

Then why do some have CCC entry requirements?
And I dont have the money to go travelling or I would, I'm affording Uni because of student loans. I dont particularly want a year out in the UK working.
Reply 25
GodspeedGehenna
So what if you get AAA? Are just going to continue at a CCC university with **** prospects and unrespected by employers?

I'm not going to get AAA, BBB maximum and that's if I'm really lucky.
co_co_vogue
Then why do some have CCC entry requirements?

By that logic, entering pyramid-selling schemes is a good idea because they exist.
Some people want to go to University to have fun and learn about a subject they like and avoid work for 3 or 4 years. She will still get a degree at the end of it and it's better than no degree. It's debt but it's manageable debt. Shut up and get back to "Royal Holloway" or "Kent" or wherever you even go, bro.
A Stranger in Moscow
Some people want to go to University to have fun

I can think of much more fun ways to blow £20k.

A Stranger in Moscow
and learn about a subject they like

Wikipedia is free.

A Stranger in Moscow
and avoid work for 3 or 4 years.

Then go on the dole and sit inside for 3 or 4 years. This is not what university is for.

A Stranger in Moscow
She will still get a degree at the end of it and it's better than no degree.

I'm sure that will be a relieving thought when OP has to go through the universal process of being rejected by 200 graduate jobs before receiving one interview.

A Stranger in Moscow
Shut up and get back to "Royal Holloway" or "Kent" or wherever you even go, bro.

I'm sorry I upset you.
Reply 29
Hi OP :smile:

I was predicted CDD but have an offer of ABB, just apply to where you wan't to go and re-take exams. Don't hope for many offers though. Or maybe even consider re-taking the year?
Reply 30
co_co_vogue
Why would it be a waste? It's up too me if I work hard enough and come out with a good grade, not the Uni.
I dont want to waste a year by taking a gap year.

Are you still intending to do a law conversion course at the end? If so, wouldn't that be wasting a year too? If you took a gap year, you could improve your grades and then go straight into a law degree. You could also use that year to save up some money ready for uni. If you're set on going straight to uni, fine, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a gap year too quickly if I were you.

Bangor has a very good psych department but only ask for 300-260 points if you think you could manage that. Huddersfield ask for 280 for psychology, but they also do 'psychological studies' which isn't accredited for which they only ask for 160 points. If you're not intending to go into psychology, whether or not the course is accredited won't really matter to you, but if there's a possibility you might change your mind, go to the BPS website and check if they are.
Reply 31
A Stranger in Moscow
Some people want to go to University to have fun and learn about a subject they like and avoid work for 3 or 4 years. She will still get a degree at the end of it and it's better than no degree. It's debt but it's manageable debt. Shut up and get back to "Royal Holloway" or "Kent" or wherever you even go, bro.

Yea this, you really do sound quite silly. why is trying to better yourself only a good idea for people who have high grades. i think the OP was asking for advice not silly opinions and criticism
GodspeedGehenna

Wikipedia is free.

Then go on the dole and sit inside for 3 or 4 years. This is not what university is for.

I'm sure that will be a relieving thought when OP has to go through the universal process of being rejected by 200 graduate jobs before receiving one interview.

I'm sorry I upset you.

The main reason I gave is the one with your stupidest rebuttal. "Wikipedia is free" is not the same as having lectures and tutorials with people who really know their stuff. And the "worse" Universities sometimes have excellent lecturers, even people who are famous in their field. And if the OP gets a 1st or a 2:i they can get into a great University for postgrad, no matter where they went.
A Stranger in Moscow
The main reason I gave is the one with your stupidest rebuttal. "Wikipedia is free" is not the same as having lectures and tutorials with people who really know their stuff. And the "worse" Universities sometimes have excellent lecturers, even people who are famous in their field. And if the OP gets a 1st or a 2:i they can get into a great University for postgrad, no matter where they went.

Okay. Have fun with that. Let me know when reality kicks in.
A friend of mine had a Psychology offer from Gloucestershire for CCC. He got BBC and took it. And needless to say, he's now doing a PGCE and is well on the way to becoming a teacher. This elitist crap naffs me off, massive time.
GodspeedGehenna

Cruel, but true.

Oh bugger!! :redface: I guess I should've quit 4 years ago hehe!
Reply 36
GodspeedGehenna

Cruel, but true.

**** you thread hogger... I originally applied for Occupational Therapy which asked for a CCC, those people deserve to be at uni as much... I think nursing has similar grades too.

OP don't listen to this guy, he's arrogant and got a temper on him!

Look, I would apply, there's no harm and it's not like you're signing a form stating you have to study for phD or anything! You might have taken the wrong subjects at AS too... I would apply, I mean you obviously love the subject :yes:
co_co_vogue
If my predicted grades are CCC, do I have any chance of getting in to any decent Universities? (not top Uni's.)
I'm applying for 2010.
I've taken: law, art and psychology.
I have literally no idea where to apply to and where I have a chance of getting in. I want to avoid London.

I've found Edinburgh Napier and Stirling with CCC entry requirements.

I think people are being quite harsh (but what do I expect, it is TSR :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, I don't think it's necessary to give up and get a job just because you are predicted CCC. I've known people who've gotten in uni with less! If you want to go to uni then do and ignore the elitist snobs. Also, if you don't want to take a gap year then don't - it's your bloody life!

Right, to answer your question, have you considered Liverpool JMU? Their offer is 260 UCAS points :

http://www.livjm.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/80275.htm
http://www.livjm.ac.uk/MKG_Global_Docs/BSc_Applied_Psychology.pdf
Reply 38
rockrunride
A friend of mine had a Psychology offer from Gloucestershire for CCC. He got BBC and took it. And needless to say, he's now doing a PGCE and is well on the way to becoming a teacher. This elitist crap naffs me off, massive time.

Same =/ My mum studied to be a nurse at a nursing college in Ireland... so what? She's a good midwife.
Reply 39
GodspeedGehenna

Wikipedia is free.

I'm sorry I upset you.

You're a real ****, you know that?

Why should the OP give up on their university ambitions because they don't live up to your 'standards'.

Well, my best mate only earned 3 GCSEs at C level, rest Ds or Es. But she studied hard at her Art First Dipmola, earned a M, then studied for a BTEC this year, and earned a DDD and is going to uni this yr (3 Distinctions- equilvent to AAA at A Level) for Travel and Tourism... so I would shut up, mr 'know it all'

Latest