The Student Room Group

Insurance and other stuff when studying in France???!!!!

Hi!!

Im going to be studying in Rennes, France, as of September this year, and after many problems, ihave finally had some information from the uni. They are asking to see an insurance certificate when i get to the halls of residence. Could someone please recommend some insurance companies in France? I have no idea which are the more 'well known' companies, and i would prefer to get it sorted before i go to France, rather than worrying when i get there.

Also, i was thinking, instead of setting up a bank account when im in France, i would just switch to Nationwide which gives you free cash withdrawals, i know the exchange rate may be a bit rubbish, but it would make things so much easier, because ive heard setting up an account in France is very difficult!!!....Anyone think this is a bad idea and think i should just set up an account when i get there?

think thats it....

Oh, and...is there anyone else going to study in Rennes 1?? :-)

Rosie xxx
The place I'm going to recommends MAIF, and fortunately if we just give them the money then they just sort it out for us! That would be for general room insurance etc. I think on top of that I need some sort of other travel/health insurance. It's so stupid and confusing! I think it's a pretty standard continental Europe thing though, most year abroad people I know are having similar issues.

As for money, I've got that Nationwide account which is really useful! It's just so good to know that I can withdraw money easily and for free! I'm going to open an account when I get there as well -- which may be easier said than done but apparently there's a bank next door which is used to YA students and makes it easier to open an account...I dunno lol. Another plus then about the Nationwide account is that, seeing as it costs up to £20 to transfer money internationally, with the free withdrawals you can just withdraw cash from the cash machine and stick it in the bank -- no fees, no waiting around for money to clear!!
Reply 2
Hi! I'm going to Rennes next year too! and i'm having exactly the same problem. i'm not sure if endsleigh's study abroad travel insurance covers us. it says in the policy document that your stuff is covered if it is locked in your room in accommodation

https://travel1.endsleigh.co.uk/studyabroad.aspx?icid=&CompanyID=&ReferralID=

do you know where you're staying yet? i've got ensuite :biggrin: what course are you doing?
monkeyru
Hi! I'm going to Rennes next year too! and i'm having exactly the same problem. i'm not sure if endsleigh's study abroad travel insurance covers us. it says in the policy document that your stuff is covered if it is locked in your room in accommodation

https://travel1.endsleigh.co.uk/studyabroad.aspx?icid=&CompanyID=&ReferralID=

do you know where you're staying yet? i've got ensuite :biggrin: what course are you doing?

HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT?!?!?! im in Beaulieu 33, looks tres grotty i must say. lol (but its cheap, so i'll put up with it for a year)

i rang up Endsleigh a while back, and they said they cant cover our belongings when we are living abroad. Ive seen a lot of people saying AXA will be the best idea. www.axa.fr im a bit worried trying to sort all this out when we're in the UK, god knows what i'll end up insuring, all the forms are in french, and even though i study french, i dont have a clue wot they are on about. haha

What have you done for your 'medical report'? my international tutor said that i should just get my doctor to write 'she is healthy' on headed paper. that works for me. lol

Im studying Law over there. eeekkk!!! how about you?!

So glad ive found someone else whos going!!!! :-)
Reply 4
rosie_the_baboon18

i rang up Endsleigh a while back, and they said they cant cover our belongings when we are living abroad. Ive seen a lot of people saying AXA will be the best idea. www.axa.fr im a bit worried trying to sort all this out when we're in the UK, god knows what i'll end up insuring, all the forms are in french, and even though i study french, i dont have a clue wot they are on about. haha

Really? Oh dear, I was relying upon using Endsleigh. I guess when they say cover for your luggage, they only mean when you are travelling and not while you're actually living abroad. :confused:
fireit
Really? Oh dear, I was relying upon using Endsleigh. I guess when they say cover for your luggage, they only mean when you are travelling and not while you're actually living abroad. :confused:

yep! the travel insurance from endsleigh is mainly just like medical stuff and not actual contents cover which is a pain. They said we will have to go with an insurance company in France. Im really sceptical about it cuz, at least in the UK, you have an idea which the major, and most trusted insurance companies are, whereas abroad, you don't have a clue. Also, on all the french insurance sites, you need your actual address, which obviously we don't have cuz you don't find out till you get there. might just turn out and see what they say.
xx
Reply 6
argh! sorry forgot to check this! i just got my dr to write a 'she is healthy' note too. will translate it myself if they insist on it! i'm going to be doing physics... think its going to be a bit of a sink or swim experience but apparently the lecturers are easier to understand than the students!

That's annoying about endsleigh. think i'll get travel insurance anyway just to be on the safe side but i was hoping to use it for contents cover too. will try ringing up and seeing if they give me something else! someone who went on a year abroad last year said they just got something with the bank they opened an account with.
I'm so excited now! not long until we go! when are you getting there?..and how?

My tutor from my uni said that the year abroad counts as like 0.5% of your overall degree, and all you are required to do really is turn up for the exam. doesnt matter how well you do in it. so im just going to have as much fun as possible, make as many new friends as i can and take advantage of living in France!!..before the real work starts in my 4th year!!!

xx
Reply 8
i think my year counts a bit more though it's not really assessed on my understanding of physics but on an oral exam back in exeter and an essay or something... i'll find out! i'm doing a four year course so my third year has to count :s-smilie:

I'm flying there on the 1st september and then i start on the 2nd!!! i think i'm actually missing stuff on the first but my accommodation contract doesn't start till then. i think the science campus starts ridiculously early though. definitely planning on making lots of french and international friends. hopefully will meet lots of erasmus students from exotic places so i can travel to their countries too :biggrin: got lots of friends going abroad too so am planning on visiting them too! am loving the grant we get from the eu too... will be such a cheap year!
yeh...i know. Although not heard much regarding the erasmus grant. probs wont get it until i actually finish my yer abroad.
I'm flying out there on the 2nd. Think the law department starts stupidly early too, but hey, we finish earlier than we would if we were in England!!
Will have to arrange to meet up at some point if you fancy it!!, are you going with anyone you know?..i'm going with a friend from my course at aberystwyth, so at least im not completely alone.
Reply 10
nah i dont know anyone. there's a couple of other people from exeter i think but i dont know them. i'm the only one from my course going! i think it's better that way because i'll have to speak french all the time :P would be great to meet up though! how are you getting there? i'm flying but am getting my parents to bring some of the stuff i couldn't carry the weekend after. i'm not used to this living out of a suitcase thing! you on facebook? (stupid question i know!)

Latest