The Student Room Group

How does the extended project thing work?

I'm starting year 12 in September 2009 and I am doing the following subjects:
Biology - OCR
Chemistry - Edexcel
Maths - Edexcel
Psychology - not sure which exam board yet

My questions are:
What does the extended project actually mean?
How is it written and how long time period + number of pages are needed?
Who marks it and what are the marks allocations/grade/etc.?
What are the benefits of doing the extended project? e.g. any UCAS points?
What subjects can you do them for?
What topics can you pick from?
Can you enter yourself or does the school have to enter you?
Can you only do it in subjects you're doing for A level?

Please let me know as I've sort of heard it mentioned at school but hadn't asked for any of the details so I'm unsure of what is it, how I can do it, etc..

I want to start doing it in the summer holidays :smile: Thanks
Reply 1
ok i cant asnwer all of those i dont have time but....

an extended project is just an alternative qualification and basically is something extra to put on UCAS to make you stand out. the markschemes and stuff i think you can find online somewhere and you recieve a grade at the end of it. You can do it about absolutly anything you want although it is recommended you do it for something you know a lot about or want to take at uni. thats about all i know sorry.
[QUOTE="Princestia"]I'm starting year 12 in September 2009 and I am doing the following subjects:
Biology - OCR
Chemistry - Edexcel
Maths - Edexcel
Psychology - not sure which exam board yet

My questions are:
What does the extended project actually mean? - You can complete a project in an area you're interested in that is related to, but not covered by, the subjects that you take
How is it written and how long time period + number of pages are needed?Most of it is keeping the log. No matter how good it is, if you haven't kept a good log you won't get a good grade. It can be a report, PowerPoint, dance, art...etc. We've been told its 5000-6000 words if a report. Doing it from September to April. Up to 120 guided hours.
Who marks it and what are the marks allocations/grade/etc.?Exam board you're on marks it, can get between an A*-E, or fail
What are the benefits of doing the extended project? e.g. any UCAS points70 for A*, goes down in 10s to an E which is 20. Some unis may make you a lower offer- e.g. Bristol offer one lower grade with the EPQ.
What subjects can you do them for?Anything.
What topics can you pick from?Again, anything
Can you enter yourself or does the school have to enter you?Probably can enter alone, but it's best to go with the school as you need a mentor.
Can you only do it in subjects you're doing for A level?No, but it should probably be related to something you want to do at uni.

Please let me know as I've sort of heard it mentioned at school but hadn't asked for any of the details so I'm unsure of what is it, how I can do it, etc..

I want to start doing it in the summer holidays :smile: Gotta wait until you get back to college, and our school only offers it for Year 13s. You may be different, but get some good ideas in your head!Thanks

Oh yeah, not saying you will, but make sure you wanna do it because you're really interested in what you wanna do and not for a stellar Uni app. Our teachers said it was so easy to smell a rat when it came to deciding who wanted to do it at our school.

:smile:
Reply 3

The EPQ is a qualification you get, equivalent to an AS-level, where you research a topic you feel passionate about and produce a 'product' (such as a peice of music) and a 1,000 word essay/report type thing or a 5,000 word report, based on your findings.

Well, you fill in a log book of all your progress and write the aforementioned essay. Most students do the bulk of the EPQ work in the summer holidays, then finalise things when they get back to college.

Not sure who marks it. It might be your tutor, then it may have to be sent off for moderation by the exam board. The grades range from U-A* and they carry a few UCAS points.

It shows your willing to undertake a project off your own back and not do work you have to with your normal A-levels. It's meant to be quite 'fun' when you get your teeth into it.. Universities like to see it because it prepares you well for University study, but you probably won't be made an offer on your final grade.

You can do it on whatever topic you want. It doesn't have to be related to your A-level choices, but general one will chose something related to what they wish to study at University. You have to boil the idea down to a single question at the end, however.

Not sure. Just do it with your school, it's much easier :p:
Reply 5

What about if one does their EPQ with AQA?
Reply 6
Adam92
What about if one does their EPQ with AQA?

One pulls ones finger out and consults the AQA web site for information.
The OP is 'considering' 2 A level with edexcel so seems a good place to start.
Reply 7
gdunne42
One pulls ones finger out and consults the AQA web site for information.
The OP is 'considering' 2 A level with edexcel so seems a good place to start.

Yes, one does. & ones college chooses the board for the EPQ, which is completely independent of the exam board for the rest of ones A-levels. So even if the OP did 4 A-levels with Edexcel is doesn't mean the EPQ will be with Edexcel, you got me?
Reply 8
Adam92

The EPQ is a qualification you get, equivalent to an AS-level, where you research a topic you feel passionate about and produce a 'product' (such as a peice of music) and a 1,000 word essay/report type thing or a 5,000 word report, based on your findings.

Well, you fill in a log book of all your progress and write the aforementioned essay. Most students do the bulk of the EPQ work in the summer holidays, then finalise things when they get back to college.

Not sure who marks it. It might be your tutor, then it may have to be sent off for moderation by the exam board. The grades range from U-A* and they carry a few UCAS points.

It shows your willing to undertake a project off your own back and not do work you have to with your normal A-levels. It's meant to be quite 'fun' when you get your teeth into it.. Universities like to see it because it prepares you well for University study, but you probably won't be made an offer on your final grade.

You can do it on whatever topic you want. It doesn't have to be related to your A-level choices, but general one will chose something related to what they wish to study at University. You have to boil the idea down to a single question at the end, however.

Not sure. Just do it with your school, it's much easier :p:

I'm an international student, And a private candiate too, can I do it?

Latest