The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

oliviasmith05
Is shackleton rly that bad to live in noise wise? x

Nah, I just like exaggerating :smile: you won't ever have to worry about the nightclub/music noise levels as with it being an accommodation and a venue, the events licence restricts certain things. It's just wise to know though, since it is a working environment as opposed to the other halls, that a small amount of banging and clanking (though bins everywhere get emptied by 7am without fail *every* monday morning at all halls :mad: ) and delivery noise occasionally too. I don't think anyone has ever complained however...
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
aw ok! thats gd cuz i wna stay in shackleton i think :smile:
Reply 182
are you all going to send off your accomodation forms before the viewing day on the 23rd of april is it? i dont know whether to just get it out of the way and done or not.
oliviasmith05
aw ok! thats gd cuz i wna stay in shackleton i think :smile:

Well just for you I took some photos of good old Bar One earlier on, as you can see it doesn't get greatly busy on Saturdays :smile: It picks up, but this was like 9pm... I got let out early so I'm a happy Dave :biggrin:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/davestones/21012006002.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/davestones/21012006003.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/davestones/21012006.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/davestones/21012006001.jpg
Reply 184
Hmm...although I doubt it, anyone want any pics of the Beeches up?

...granted I'll have to tidy my room up a little but still. :biggrin:
Reply 185
Does anyone know if accomodation is assigned on a 'first come, first serve' basis, or is it just a lottery?

I'm not sure whether to decide now or wait till my results from my January modules have come back.
Reply 186
they sort it out altogether come results day. that said, do get your form in before the deadline otherwise you'll be a disadvantage.
Reply 187
I'll definitely get it in before the deadline. Just wondering if there was any advantage to sending it off now over waiting till March.
Just home from an English open day. Superb.

Accomodation tour was interesting actually. Mason looked dire however I was assured it has a good atmosphere by my guide :p: Its being demolished so it doesn't matter really for my purposes! Shakleton was immense. Fanstastic. Stupendous. All the facilities were amazing, as was the room I was shown (though I assume it was the best one).

Does anyone know what Chamberlain is like?
YouKnewThat!
Just home from an English open day. Superb.

Accomodation tour was interesting actually. Mason looked dire however I was assured it has a good atmospehere by my guide :p: Its being demolished so it doesn't matter really for my purposes! Shakleton was immense. Fanstastic. Stupendous. All the facilities were amazing, as was the room I was shown (though I assume it was the best one).

Does anyone know what Chamberlain is like?

Chamberlain is set to be the "lowest quality" hall for next year, being that almost all the others have recently been done up. I think it is set for renovation next year or the year after, though don't quote me on this. I don't doubt that it is OK to live in but I wouldn't want to live in there, 14 storey treks down the stairs at 4am when the fire alarm goes off aren't pleasant i hear...

I personally wouldn't want to live in shackleton, in the same way that elgar court was brand new when i was in halls i wouldn't want to live there either, i would be afraid of spilling stuff/messing things up etc and it being more obvious than in another hall...
Reply 190
mmmm went to a open day today shackleton was really nice! i didnt realise how nice the vale area is! glad i put bham as firm now
I've been looking over the accomodation form, how does the Uni assign the place you get. I mean, you can't write ' I WANT TO STAY AT ELGAR!' so what is the chance of you getting the place you want. Lol I know its a stupid question to ask! :redface:
burned_out_58
I've been looking over the accomodation form, how does the Uni assign the place you get. I mean, you can't write ' I WANT TO STAY AT ELGAR!' so what is the chance of you getting the place you want. Lol I know its a stupid question to ask! :redface:

Write it in the "any other comments" bit. But generally, your answers are scanned in, completely ignored and your student ID is put in a random number generator with the other 3000 or so freshers looking for accommodation :smile:
Reply 193
just the extra comments box at the bottom - that gives you a decent chance of getting where you want. that said, i seem to remember people going overboard last year and sort of writing their desired accommodation name in every single gap available.
Reply 194
is there any accomodation you would strongly advice aginst? coz my luck over past few years would suggest i'm going there
davesstones
Write it in the "any other comments" bit. But generally, your answers are scanned in, completely ignored and your student ID is put in a random number generator with the other 3000 or so freshers looking for accommodation :smile:

Ooo...Great :p: It's worth a shot eh!
CAFC
is there any accomodation you would strongly advice aginst? coz my luck over past few years would suggest i'm going there

Chamberlain. Oh, and Manor House, QHC, Hunter Court, Beeches if you don't fancy walking/paying to use trains etc (wait for pixiepeep to come shout at me about including the beeches :p: )
burned_out_58
I've been looking over the accomodation form, how does the Uni assign the place you get. I mean, you can't write ' I WANT TO STAY AT ELGAR!'

Hah, I did :redface:
Reply 198
i was thinking - they must have to take into account the desired accommodation to some respect. you've got some places which are about a grand a year more than others, so it seems strange to ignore such requests.
helenlicious
Hah, I did :redface:

Hehe, I've just written it in the things i might want them to take into consideration box - 'Please can I stay at Elgar!!!!!!'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending