The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Catalan Midget
ok, time for the obvious questions that the stupid one (that would be me) doesn't get.
1 - In the application form, when it says "double" is that refering to sharing a room with someone?
2 - What's the difference between Course title and Programme titile? I'm gonna take international relationships and i dont know where to put it...

thanks for any answers!

Jupp double meand that you do not mind sharing your room withsomeone else. There are not many double rooms i think.

You should write BA in international relations under course on the application. the program part is for the people doing Post grad. cheers

Im gonna be doing International relations as well in the fall. nice to meet!

ciao
/9mm
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
thanks! i can now send it off, finally!
Reply 302
I STILL haven't recieved my form even though I confirmed about 6 weeks ago, is this normal?
You should ring up, seeing as the deadline is the end of May. The forms are also available from www.housing.bham.ac.uk :smile:
Dont think so! Im pretty sure i got my form near enough straight away after i made birm my firm! I would email them - u can get an accommodation form (print out version) from their website x
twiga
I STILL haven't recieved my form even though I confirmed about 6 weeks ago, is this normal?
I never got it, so i just downloaded it from the net and sent it in on friday! screw the post!
Reply 306
Hey guys I eventually just downloaded the form and sent it off last Thurs, got confirmation on Saturday which is very efficient! I really hope I get Elgar Court, it looks lush!
Reply 307
Why is everyone discussing the social scenes at their accomodation? :confused: It all depends upon who is living there at the time, I know it has for us at the Beeches. Sometimes everyone's quite social other times not. This sociability thing is just something you create yourselves, if you and a bunch of other people decide to do stuff be it drinking or simply getting everyone together for a bbq then you've made a social scene, it's all down to you.
Hey there please can someone elp me out here... im hopefully comming o birmingham in 2006 to do modern languaes and i filled my accomodation form out about 3 months ago and sent it off, i didnt put a preference dwn as there wasnt any room and dumb me didnt think of putting my facve (elgar court) in the additional comments think!!!!! do u think im gonna get shoved ne where now? please reply sumone :smile:
If you went for self catered Elgar court is very popular, so you may get sent to maple bank (newly refurbished) or poss tennis courts, still a good laugh. Unless you have a real problem with things like no en-suite, it won't make a difference where you are. I've heard great reports of most places and a few bad reports of all other places. Really up to you to make it.
you'll get shoved anywhere anyway. i put preferences down (shackleton/maple bank) but i got neither. i ended up in Tennis Courts instead which is (in my opinion) the best. i also hear that places like the Beeches and QHC are quite nice, not on the Vale, but nice all the same. just a bit further from campus. its a lottery.
Ok cool thankyou.. kelly i noticed ur from poole dorset me too!!! I live in Wallisdown near bounremouth uni, what about u? DO u find the distance thing a pain or is it ok? ( i know there is a direct train from bournemouth to brum which i caught wen i had my interview) x:smile:
i hail from west canford heath.

the distance thing isn't too much. i think its far enough to be away from home for the full "moving out from home" experience which you necessarily wouldn't get if you went to southampton for example, but close enough if you needed to get home for any reason.

thank goodness for virgin trains though!! the direct trains from here down to bournemouth leave every hour or something. i recommend you get a young persons rail card coz depending on when you book the ticket prices can be a bit dear.

any other Q's dont hestitate to PM or e-mail me!!
I'm from Poole too:smile: Broadstone to be exact.

I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of times the meals were for catered or meal plans? And wouldn't you miss lunch if you had a lecture at the Uni during the middle of the day? Or can you grab something to eat around the Uni on the catered/meal plan arrangement?

Thanks.
aaaah meal plan is the best!!

you cant get it on campus, only in fusion or rios which are in shackleton.

basically you are given a £31 allowance a week to spend on meals how you see fit. if you dont spend anything on one day, it doesn't matter because it's a weekly allowance. if you miss lunch, its not crucial. you just need to use £31 a week, which is easily done. thats about 2 meals on average a day per week.hope this makes sense.

main meals:
breakfast 7:30-11:30am
lunch 12-2pm
dinner 4:30-9pm

...so theres loads of time to grab sum food!

snacks in the form of paninis, sausage rolls, sandwiches, cups of tea etc are served from 10am-9pm.

i personally love being on meal plan. the food isn't that bad - i've heard that its alot worse in other universities. and its so nice not having to cook for 5 days a week. still have to be self catered at weekends but thats ok.
Can you not use it at Avanti? I'm sure you used to be able to...
not this year i dont think. theres a CSP down there but thats it. im sure that i noticed signs up in avanti saying that hub grub couldnt be used down there.
Reply 317
kellyjacobs15
not this year i dont think. theres a CSP down there but thats it. im sure that i noticed signs up in avanti saying that hub grub couldnt be used down there.

i was in the vale 04-05 back then it was £6 a day (use it or lose it). Nice to see it being changed to a weekly thing as opposed to daily thing..cos that sucked! For a brief spell you could use it in avanti in campus but they stopped that halfway though the yr about early 05'. BTW Chamberlain sucks ! Wow to think Mason is gone..chamberlain is officially crappest halls numero uno! :P
I read somewhere that you get your accommodation place told after exam results come out. My results come out July 6th (doing the IB), am I going to have to wait untill the A Level results are out or is the uni gonna tell me were i'm being sent to?
You'll be assigned a place after the A Level results come out. Has anyone else put tennis courts or shackleton as their preference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending