The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by goodwinning
I'd say Tennis Courts or Oakley. If you've got the cash for somewhere like Mason, I'd pick Chamberlain instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nooo, as a current student I would say definitely go for Mason if you've got the cash. The flats are just as nice - modern and self-catered which will save you a fortune compared to the meal plan option with Chamberlain (I only spend £20 at most on food a week, whereas with Meal Plan you pay £50 and it doesn't roll over to the next week either. Why people pay extra into their accommodation fees to buy £3 sandwiches on campus when you could self-cater and make one for 50p I'll never know).
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by annagracee
I really want a place at Jarratt Hall because I want an en suite but I can't afford any of the £6,000+ accommodations with en suite. What are the chances that I definitely get Jarratt hall??

Do you have an unconditional offer? If so, likely (although still not a guarantee as I put it as my first choice last year and didn't get it).
Original post by GraceTheSheep
Nooo, as a current student I would say definitely go for Mason if you've got the cash. The flats are just as nice - modern and self-catered which will save you a fortune compared to the meal plan option with Chamberlain (I only spend £20 at most on food a week, whereas with Meal Plan you pay £50 and it doesn't roll over to the next week either. Why people pay extra into their accommodation fees to buy £3 sandwiches on campus when you could self-cater and make one for 50p I'll never know).

My friends at Mason always complain about the wet room and the lack of storage space, whereas the people I know at Chamberlain love it and rarely have anything bad to say. Only negatives they've said is some teething issues early in the year like no hot water.

Different experiences I suppose and you're right about the fees with meal plan but if money is of no issue at all I'd go for Chamberlain personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think it's a bad idea to trick the system and put down your real first choice as your second? What's the likely hood of getting your top choice??? :smile:
Original post by JannaX
Do you think it's a bad idea to trick the system and put down your real first choice as your second? What's the likely hood of getting your top choice??? :smile:

It's randomly allocated so not sure about that. I got my second choice but I know people who got their first and others who didn't get any at all.

I think what helps more is if you get allocated in the first wave; so if you've got an unconditional or already have your results you get allocated sometime around July. This obviously increases your chances of getting one of your top choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's randomly allocated so not sure about that. I got my second choice but I know people who got their first and others who didn't get any at all.

I think what helps more is if you get allocated in the first wave; so if you've got an unconditional or already have your results you get allocated sometime around July. This obviously increases your chances of getting one of your top choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay thanks :smile: i don't have an unconditional which is why I'm worried I'll end up with my last choice aha but we'll see, knowing my luck I'll end up not getting any ahah
Anyone got any recommendations for halls in the vale? I wanted ensuite and self catered but mason is the only option:/ and I think the meal plan is just way too overpriced... What is sharing a bathroom like?? Does it not get annoying having to wait every time to go to the loo? Ahah Thanks for any help! :biggrin:
Reply 6387
Opinions on the meal plan? Is it really worth it? Im going to be a med student so I dont know how much time it will save me
Original post by lucX
Opinions on the meal plan? Is it really worth it? Im going to be a med student so I dont know how much time it will save me

I live with 2 medic students in Elgar Court and they find it useful to have as their workload is quite high although the food quality isn't too high
Original post by Nevertrustaduck
I applied for accommodation yesterday :smile:. I only put 4 choices
1) Ashcroft
2) maple bank
3) Oakley court
4) tennis court
I was going to use all 6 choices but I was told that I need to make sure that I wouldn't mind going to any of my choices because some people do get thier sixth choice then can't back out of it! If you can't be placed in any of your choices I think they have to phone you or something :smile:

I was on the phone to the accomodation services last week about that and they said that the allocation system works like this - Once all places have been confirmed then their computer take groups of people at random and then runs through their choices and if there's no space in their 1st choice accomodation then it moves down to the next option that you've put. I asked about if having only 4 meant that you were more likely to get into one of your top choices and they said no because, if it gets to that fifth spot and there's no preference, then you'll be put into anywhere with space.
Was wondering if I could ask some advice?

Did any current students at Birmingham out down they wanted to be in a quiet flat? I wanted to know how quiet they are? Ahah sounds weird but I don't want flat mates who are the type that are really quiet and don't go out
And what is a normal flat like? Are flat mates normally respectful and keep the noise down? Thank a lot,
Original post by JannaX
Was wondering if I could ask some advice?

Did any current students at Birmingham out down they wanted to be in a quiet flat? I wanted to know how quiet they are? Ahah sounds weird but I don't want flat mates who are the type that are really quiet and don't go out
And what is a normal flat like? Are flat mates normally respectful and keep the noise down? Thank a lot,

From my experience, my flat and the flats around me respect each other's needs and keep the noise down if they have too. From what i've heard, most of the quiet flats are quite boring and don't tend to go out so if you want to have a fun flat i'd recommend applying just for the normal flat as they will be respectful whilst being fun as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dominic1997
From my experience, my flat and the flats around me respect each other's needs and keep the noise down if they have too. From what i've heard, most of the quiet flats are quite boring and don't tend to go out so if you want to have a fun flat i'd recommend applying just for the normal flat as i'd recommend a normal flat.

Ahh that's really helpful! Thank you! :smile:
Original post by JannaX
Ahh that's really helpful! Thank you! :smile:

No worries
Wondering if I could get some advice on accommodation.

I'm an international student and I'm not exactly into the partying events and stuff, probably because i'm taking my BA at the age of 25. I really want to focus on my studies but I do not want a completely anti-social environment as well. I've read online that places like Maplebank and Tennis Courts are very very social but they are also the cheapest so I'm conflicted.

Anyone has any advice? :frown:

Thank you!
Original post by menacedassassin
Wondering if I could get some advice on accommodation.

I'm an international student and I'm not exactly into the partying events and stuff, probably because i'm taking my BA at the age of 25. I really want to focus on my studies but I do not want a completely anti-social environment as well. I've read online that places like Maplebank and Tennis Courts are very very social but they are also the cheapest so I'm conflicted.

Anyone has any advice? :frown:

Thank you!

Have you considered Pritchatts Park? Ashcroft and Oakley Court are pretty social whilst not being as hard partying as somewhere like Tennis Courts. Ashcroft is also one of the cheapest options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you considered Pritchatts Park? Ashcroft and Oakley Court are pretty social whilst not being as hard partying as somewhere like Tennis Courts. Ashcroft is also one of the cheapest options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that would probably be my first two options then. Would you happen to know anything about Liberty Gardens as well?

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by menacedassassin
Ah that would probably be my first two options then. Would you happen to know anything about Liberty Gardens as well?

Thank you! :smile:

The people I know at Liberty Gardens don't seem to like it mainly because it's not sociable from what I've gathered. I suppose it's because it's not uni halls so there's a mix of students from other unis, 2nd/3rd years and lots of internationals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The people I know at Liberty Gardens don't seem to like it mainly because it's not sociable from what I've gathered. I suppose it's because it's not uni halls so there's a mix of students from other unis, 2nd/3rd years and lots of internationals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I definitely missed out the fact that it's not a uni hall. Well looks like I have made my decision. Thank you so much! You have been really helpful :smile:
Is there any difference between choosing 4 options for accommodation or 6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending