The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hahaha you are in for a shock! but a good shock! it's fun and very community oriented! You will have the best time in Tennis Courts, my sister stayed there and loved it, I am very jealous! Decided to go to Victoria Hall now, it's nice, close to the uni and has an en-suite!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 81
can i ask a dumb question - what is kosher?
it's something to do with judaism.... their religion requires foods to be prepared in a certain way i think...

i'm not exactly sure what these dietary laws are though...
Cassie-R
hahaha you are in for a shock! but a good shock! it's fun and very community oriented! You will have the best time in Tennis Courts, my sister stayed there and loved it, I am very jealous! Decided to go to Victoria Hall now, it's nice, close to the uni and has an en-suite!

aw you are nice you've really put my mind at rest!
Reply 84
So have some of you seen your accommodation already? I might have a look next week as I have to pop over that way anyway.

Does every accommodation have it's own freshers package? I have signed up for my tennis courts pack - £25 for 7 subsidised events, coaches, T-Shirt, glow in the dark wristband and £30 of 'essential student food', plus a great chance to meet people.

I've also recently found out that the Damovo student connect package is included with the student fee, so too, is basic personal possesions insurance - boring I know, but two less things for me to sort out.

Move in is only three weeks away. Also does anyone know how I can find out how many people I am sharing with, cos if it's six I am correct in thinking we'll get two freezers?

Now - Back to finding my hawaiian shirt!
what flat are you? i'll be able to make an educated guess...
YAY!! Mine came through this morning, I got Beeches :biggrin: The one I wanted - cheapest and it's self-catering, that's all I wanted really... *does a little dance*
Reply 87
Does anyone know if we get comfirmation that we are signed up for the package, or do we just assume that they have received our cheque and that we pick up the £25 package when we arrive?
when i was there, they had a computer set up with a database of who had paid and who hadn't... didn't get any confirmation. if you have paid they will know about it and will get your t shirt :smile:
Reply 89
What are these freshers packages?? Anyone please enlighten me?
Reply 90
ClosetGinger
aw you are nice you've really put my mind at rest!

oh dear ur in for a shock if ur not used to the whole jewish thing! i just came back from a gap year in israel, AND i was at JFS.....most of my friends who were on my gap year and who were at jfs are in tennis court...in fact lol i think only 4 aren't!!!!!! what flat are u in?
Reply 91
davesstones
it's something to do with judaism.... their religion requires foods to be prepared in a certain way i think...

i'm not exactly sure what these dietary laws are though...

Basically we can't eat pork or shell fish, and can't have plates and cutlery thats had all that stuff on it, and also we don't mix milk and meat, so we have to have seperate cutlery and plates and all that for milk and meat...also any meat we do have has to have been killed in a certain way, otherwise it's not kosher...it's complicated, which is why it's easier to live in a flat with ppl who keep kosher! :biggrin:
Reply 92
Jossy are you one of the 61/80 ppl from London who went on the Israel gap year and are now coming to Birmingham? If so, i've heard all about you guys! lol! so jealous ur all in Tennis Courts i'm sure i will be there most of the time anyway because a lot of my friends are living there, but still!!
jossy
oh dear ur in for a shock if ur not used to the whole jewish thing! i just came back from a gap year in israel, AND i was at JFS.....most of my friends who were on my gap year and who were at jfs are in tennis court...in fact lol i think only 4 aren't!!!!!! what flat are u in?

Oh dear, i'm in block 3 - flat 15
Aria
No worries. :smile: You're not going to be on your ol'lonesome I'm coming to Beeches as well. :biggrin:

One question, anyone know if they're sinks in the rooms? I know a lot of uni's have them but I can't remember if B.ham does or not. If anyone's got any photos don't be shy about posting them either. :p:

I lived at The Beeches last year (wasn't the cheapest then but Maple Bank has just been refurbished). No sinks in rooms I'm afraid, it tends to be older student accommodation that has that. Should be helping out at The Beeches in freshers week so you'll probably see me around.
for folks that are staying in elgar court -- watch this space, more photos coming very very soon :smile:
I'm in Elgar Court, can you tell me which floor flat is on?
flat 26 is on the top floor or the ground floor... i'm not sure which, i believe it is the ground floor though.

here's the photos...

http://www.davestones.com/elgar

do the clicking yourself :wink:
Thanks for the pictures... I wish it wasn't ground floor though!
well in some ground floor flats, 2 of the rooms are knocked through to make 1 giant disabled room... u might strike lucky :p: (u dont have to be disabled to get these btw)

Quick Reply

Latest