The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You've got good highers for law yeah, history and english :yy: I love history HL but that coz our teacher is brilliant :yy:
can't comment on English HL, english isn't my strong point haha.

I find biology rather easy on the IB but I think that's just me...my friends tend to have found Geog SL easy though, so maybe that one?

Oh yeah, you need a science haha. You'll have to do blodge.
Reply 61
Conceptually IB isn't that hard at all, if anything I found the layout of the questions on the Chemistry and Biology papers slightly easier than what Edex-hell usually plays at.

It's juggling 6 subjects that is the hard part, although you have the option of HL/SL lol, just manage your time well. Also I recommend physics if you're good at maths.
Reply 62
Tbh though you people bleat on about how you don't need maths for law, plenty of people have told me that HL Maths would look impressive because it shows an extremely high level of logic and intellect. That is of course if you do well in it.
Reply 63
You haven't got a very "difficult" or masochistic subject combination. Your highers are fine for law. You must take a science. Biology SL is probably the easiest standard level science you can take.

You really shouldn't judge the difficulty of an IB subject on how many questions you can answer before you've even started the course. Those long words might turn out to be quite simple. Just go with what you enjoy and what you think you'll do well at/be able to cope with.
mmm yea you definitely have to do a science. I agree that SL bio is pretty easy. although chemistry at SL is quite simple as well. simple concepts, considerably less memory work. have your pick. you could consider switching HL business with HL econs.
Reply 65
Geography.
Reply 66
In december, I have to choose my subjects for IB. My current choices are:

HL Chinese B
HL Business & Management
HL Geography

SL Maths
SL English
SL Environmental Systems

I am pretty sure that these are the subjects I want to chose. But now when I think of it...I am not sure if I should take business or econ. I take economics for GCSE and I regret it hugely because everyone says business is waaayyy easier. But in IB...is economics harder or business harder? I don't like doing math and don't like applying theory. People say business is plain common sense and you just have to remember key terms. Is that true? Should I take BUSINESS or ECONOMICS?

PLEASE HELP? Looking for many answers :smile:
Reply 67
Oh, and for my gcse I am taking:

Economics (borringgg)
Chinese (i am chinese, so its easy)
Music (argh...sooo regret it)
Geography (love it)
Double Award Science
English
English Lit
Math

...just if it helps.
I think unis prefer Econ more.
Reply 69
Yeah, economics is seen as a more academically rigorous subject.
well I took econs SL so I'm obviously biased here and will tell you to go for econs. I found it really easy. however, seems like you'll be taking econs at HL if you do choose it? I think econs is much more theoretical so if you like theory it's for you. even at HL, I still feel that the amount to commit to memory is less than what you have to for business HL. it's mostly just understanding certain economic models, diagrams, and such. don't have to worry about the math part since there's no math in IB econs at all. however, if I'm not wrong, there seems to be a lil bit of math in business. shouldn't be anything full blown though.
you also said you didn't like to apply theory. well both subjects are more or less on par here, econs has 4 IAs which require you to write a 650-750 analysis on a newspaper article demonstrating real world application of economic theory. business has a single IA which, in my opinion, is a lot more work then the econs articles. you need to find a real world company and gather their data and such. possible questions include whether they should venture into new markets etc. as you can see, quite some bit of application of theory as well.
I think I have finally found the right forum?

Anyway, Hey guys/gals. :smile:

My school offers both the IB and the A-Levels. I think that I'm going to IB (currently in year 11) because I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

Anyway, I have come up with a list of what I want to do:

English HL
History HL
Geography or Economics HL

Latin SL
Maths SL
Chemistry or Biology SL

I like Geography, but I guess I would like to try something new. But, I have never done economics before so I don't have any idea how difficult it is. Can anyone that has done it/doing it give me any advice?

The same with the Sciences really. I don't want to do physics because I find it quite boring, but I am stuck between chemistry and biology. I know biology is meant to be easier, but the bio teachers SUCK at my school - so would chemistry be the best option?

Also, what do you people think of my choices? Too easy? Too hard?

Thanks in advance to anyone that answers :biggrin:
well I think your choices are alright. in my opinion its quite hard to secure a 7 for english A1, especially at HL. but of course if your language is strong it shouldn't be much of a problem. :P I did economics SL and it's pretty easy really. of course the HL syllabus contains harder material but I don't think it's too big a jump. I think economics at HL is a good choice. ^^ since you're decided between chem and bio at SL, I'd say that both are more or less on par. in fact, chemistry has less in the way of material to be committed to memory. it's more of understanding concepts, which aren't that hard anyway. since your chemistry teachers are better, why not go for it?
Reply 73
I do economics GCSE...and I find it really hard. I'd strongly recommend you to do Geography instead (i am doing it too hehe) because it is way easier than Geography. Economics is like a death game for me... D: It is really hard and MANY MANY diagrams and quite a bit of math.

For the sciences.....did you know that out of all the IB subjects, Physics, Biology and Chemistry are the hardest of all? I would consider doing Environmental Systems at SL because it is a bit of biology and also a bit of geography..so if you do geography it would be like a mixmatch. :biggrin:

However, it is your choice really! Pick the one you think you can do best at :smile:
Reply 74
tobiaswilson
I think I have finally found the right forum?

Anyway, Hey guys/gals. :smile:

My school offers both the IB and the A-Levels. I think that I'm going to IB (currently in year 11) because I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

Anyway, I have come up with a list of what I want to do:

English HL
History HL
Geography or Economics HL

Latin SL
Maths SL
Chemistry or Biology SL

I like Geography, but I guess I would like to try something new. But, I have never done economics before so I don't have any idea how difficult it is. Can anyone that has done it/doing it give me any advice?

The same with the Sciences really. I don't want to do physics because I find it quite boring, but I am stuck between chemistry and biology. I know biology is meant to be easier, but the bio teachers SUCK at my school - so would chemistry be the best option?

Also, what do you people think of my choices? Too easy? Too hard?

Thanks in advance to anyone that answers :biggrin:

Econ is EASY!!! you don't have to do it in GCSE to do IB econ and it's really way easier then any other humanities... It's easy to get, questions are straight-forward and it isn't hard to get a level 6 or 7. I am doing IB Econ.

Not too sure about geography but people who are doing it say it's alright.. but still lots of people who take geography at my school regret not taking econ instead because the nature of geography is much more demanding then econ (fieldtrips, IAs.. etc)

Bio is definitely better then Chem. Depends if you want to do sciences in UNI because if you're not then it doesn't really make a difference to what science you take in IB as long as you take a science.
Biology is a straightforward subject and self-studying is easy (as long as you follow the book).

Some say chem is harder then physics because you will have to understand it AND be able to regurgitate knowledge in the exam while in physics you just have to understand it and in bio you just have to regurgitate it.

I take bio and my teachers suck but I'm still doing fine.....

Really recommending you to take IB BIO AND ECON!!!! :smile:

p.s. LATIN?? whoa
Reply 75
I didn't do Economics before either, and now I'm currently doing it and LOVE IT! (in IB2 at the moment). As for Chemistry or Biology, I'd say take Biology out of the two as I find Biology to be relatively easier than Chemistry (maybe it's just me) but only take Chemistry if it's related to a course you want to study at uni. I actually study Chemistry, Biology and Economics at higher level so if you need anything just HOLA!

But yes, after typing this message I've only just noticed that the guy has already said pretty much what I wanted to say - totally agree with you there!

*girl

So yes, decisions decisions... hope it goes well for you and don't forget to do well in your GCSEs.
Reply 76
I plan on taking -

English A1 (standard)
French (ab inito)
Chemistry (higher)
Physics (higher)
Maths (standard)
Economics 0r Business (which is easier)

For my IG i got -
A* - Physics,Maths,Economics,Biology
A - Businesss, chemistry, ict
B -Eng lit
C - eng lang
can you not take maths higher i think you may need to
Reply 78
Im planning on studying engineering:
IG grades:

A* - Phsyics, maths, economics, biology
A - Business, ICT, chemistry
B - eng lit C - eng lang

- should i take eco (HL) or bus&mang (HS)
- which 2 of the 3 sciences (both at HL)
- which subjects at higher and which aat standard

PLEASE HELP and THANKS for reading
Erm, pretty sure you need maths higher and physics for engineering? not totally sure tho. but HL in both of them, then with a third that you enjoy? Do Economics rather than B&M as it's more respected.
English SL, aaand you need a language..so something ab initio? and then you need a last subject? Biology SL seeing as your pretty good at it?

Latest