The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by chickenonsteroids
They're fine.

Physics SL is ok, it requires a good amount of work but if you want an 'easier' science go for Bio or ESS but you'll have a lot to learn in biology.

Original post by TEEJUS
I hear bio and ESS are ****takes... I did chem SL and it was a tough 2 years.

Are what?

If you like physics take it.

Okay thank you :smile: I'll look into Physics and biology a bit more.
Reply 861
Are what?

If you like physics take it.

I'll get warning points for this. Pisstakes
Original post by TEEJUS
I'll get warning points for this. Pisstakes

If you want to refute it you can talk to a moderator about it :yes:

But you haven't been warned yet :lol:
Reply 863
If you want to refute it you can talk to a moderator about it :yes:

But you haven't been warned yet :lol:

winning :smile:
Reply 864
So I'm thinking of studying medicine, and I'm thinking of choosing these subjects for IB:
HL-Maths
HL-Chemistry
HL-Biology
HL- French B
SL-English
SL- History
What do you think? I know that going with four HL subjects is really hard, but I talked to my teacher and he said that if I really am going to study medicine, I should be able to cope with four HL subjects. However, I've been studying French for about 7 years and got an A* in my IGCSE when I did it early, without spending much time on it. I found the IGCSE course quite easy.... So I was thinking about trying to get the bilingual diploma by taking French A2 standard level instead of french B, but i donno how difficult it will be... I like french and I'm willing to work a bit extra but I just wanted to know how big a difference there is between French B HL and A2 SL.....
Original post by SM74
So I'm thinking of studying medicine, and I'm thinking of choosing these subjects for IB:
HL-Maths
HL-Chemistry
HL-Biology
HL- French B
SL-English
SL- History
What do you think? I know that going with four HL subjects is really hard, but I talked to my teacher and he said that if I really am going to study medicine, I should be able to cope with four HL subjects. However, I've been studying French for about 7 years and got an A* in my IGCSE when I did it early, without spending much time on it. I found the IGCSE course quite easy.... So I was thinking about trying to get the bilingual diploma by taking French A2 standard level instead of french B, but i donno how difficult it will be... I like french and I'm willing to work a bit extra but I just wanted to know how big a difference there is between French B HL and A2 SL.....

You could write your EE in french and still get the billingual diploma

You don't need 4 HL so if you struggle with the workload don't worry about dropping maths or french to SL.

Good luck
I'm in Year 11 and I'm starting the IB diploma next year, with the intention of doing Medicine or really any Biological/Natural Science at University. Really, really passionate about this. At the moment I'm predicted all As/A*s at GCSE so I know I've got the ability.

PROVISIONAL:

HL: Biology, Chemistry, Geography
SL: Maths, German, English Lit

But I'm in a slight dilemma because I also know I'm a solid Mathematician (my teacher said so himself), and don't whether a uni course in this field may perhaps be more ideal for me

I even sat my Maths GCSE in year 10, obtaining A*, so have the understanding that a Maths/Economics route may POSSIBLY be more suited for me. Admittedly, I also have a strong interest in this.
I was just wondering what sort of subject combination would give me the prospect of doing Medicine or Sciences at the best or most competitive of Unis, without hampering eligibility for Economics or Maths

It's just so I can be eligible for both fields, in case I change my mind midway through the diploma
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DrumChops
x

Swap maths and geography around.

HL maths is very difficult btw
Swap maths and geography around.

HL maths is very difficult btw

thank you! Sorry, I edited my post. I didn't preview tut tut.
Reply 869

But I'm in a slight dilemma because I also know I'm a solid Mathematician (my teacher said so himself), and don't whether a uni course in this field may perhaps be more ideal for me

If you're a solid mathematician then by all means choose Math HL. It's one of the more difficult subjects but it leaves you with many options later. (Especially for medicine/nat sciences/maths/econ)

I initially signed up for Math SL thinking I wouldn't need maths later anyway (plus I'm not a mathematically-minded person). Then my teacher talked me into giving it a go, and I'm so glad he did because I ended up applying for economics.
Original post by Pigeon93
If you're a solid mathematician then by all means choose Math HL. It's one of the more difficult subjects but it leaves you with many options later. (Especially for medicine/nat sciences/maths/econ)

I initially signed up for Math SL thinking I wouldn't need maths later anyway (plus I'm not a mathematically-minded person). Then my teacher talked me into giving it a go, and I'm so glad he did because I ended up applying for economics.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I definitely won't underestimate Maths HL. But I think I'll go for it, considering what you've said.

Just wondering what other subjects you did alongside? Economics?

Although I heard Economics isn't required for most uni econ courses, it is for Cambridge, which obviously is in my highest aspirations (amongst others, too)
Reply 871
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I definitely won't underestimate Maths HL. But I think I'll go for it, considering what you've said.

Just wondering what other subjects you did alongside? Economics?

Although I heard Economics isn't required for most uni econ courses, it is for Cambridge, which obviously is in my highest aspirations (amongst others, too)

I did history, math and french HL, chem, english and econ SL.

Econ HL isn't really required anywhere (even cambridge) but then again it's interesting and not particularly difficult so you might as well take it (you could even make it a 4th higher temporarily/as a backup for maths as there isn't much difference between econ SL and HL).

Ya don't underestimate maths, but then again it isn't as hard as some people make it out to be. It's challenging, but I managed to get a 7 and I'm no genius. History HL was much harder tbh.
Reply 872
take THEATRE ARTS:biggrin:!!! well although it's a bit time consuming! with a bit of concentration it's intresting and fun to do like you kind of enjoy the course! i am having a love/hate relationship with it right now!! half way throughhhhh ahhhhh xo
Reply 873
Starting the IB next year, and I am supposed to choose my subjects. In the future I want to study either Economics or maybe some science based subject. But my main goal is Economics at a top university in the UK. So, here are my plans:

Mathematics HL
Physics HL
Economics HL

English B SL
Swedish SL
Chemsitry SL

When I presented this idea to my IB coordinator, she strongly advised me to take English B at HL because, according to her, "no university outside Sweden would want you", unless you took it on HL. The thing is, analyzing deep novels and discussing poems are not my strongest points... I would much rather prefer Economics on HL, and I'm quite sure I would get a better grade in it, since I'm interested in it.

So the question is, should I listen to her or do the likes of Oxbridge and LSE not care wether I have English B on SL or HL? What is preferred, a higher total mark with a 6 in English B SL or a possibly lower total mark with a 5 in English B HL?

Is 4 HL's the answer?

Thank you in advance!
Original post by afbp

UK uni's don't really care but it might change whether you take the test to determine whether you have to take the English proficiency test (something like that) If you can take English A instead that'd be better.
Original post by afbp
Starting the IB next year, and I am supposed to choose my subjects. In the future I want to study either Economics or maybe some science based subject. But my main goal is Economics at a top university in the UK. So, here are my plans:

Mathematics HL
Physics HL
Economics HL

English B SL
Swedish SL
Chemsitry SL

When I presented this idea to my IB coordinator, she strongly advised me to take English B at HL because, according to her, "no university outside Sweden would want you", unless you took it on HL. The thing is, analyzing deep novels and discussing poems are not my strongest points... I would much rather prefer Economics on HL, and I'm quite sure I would get a better grade in it, since I'm interested in it.

So the question is, should I listen to her or do the likes of Oxbridge and LSE not care wether I have English B on SL or HL? What is preferred, a higher total mark with a 6 in English B SL or a possibly lower total mark with a 5 in English B HL?

Is 4 HL's the answer?

Thank you in advance!

Going by what you've written, you seem to be good at English already - HL shouldn't be much of a problem. It does involve reading two novels, but going by what my friends in French/Spanish B HL say it is for coursework, not exams, and you only need to understand them rather than analyse in much detail, which is what you'll do in your A1 Swedish. There are other qualifications you can take to prove you are proficient in English such as IELTS, but you may as well study it over two years as part of your diploma - it will be good practise either way if you want to study here, and if it comes to it you can drop one of the four down to SL later on.

Maths and Economics HL are very good for an economics degree. The maths is essential: LSE, for example, require a 7 at HL (very hard to achieve), whilst Cambridge will want at least a 6. Economics is slightly less important, but still very helpful (or occasionally required), especially at the top universities.

One thing to think about is the score you will need to get into a place like Cambridge: they have the highest requirements in the country, wanting 40-42 points including 776-777 at HL (the exception being King's College, which 'only' want 38 with 766). You will really need Maths, Economics and English, but you may want to consider Physics at SL. If you take it at HL, you keep degree options like Engineering, Computer Science and Physics open, as well as having an extra subject to get the required scores in your HLs in, but on the other hand since your other three HLs are important you'll probably needs 6s and 7s in them anyway and Physics HL makes it harder to get the overall points total.

Hopefully this is helpful, feel free to ask if you want to know anything else :smile:
Reply 876
I have to choose my IB subjects in the next 18 days. I really want to major in Maths at Uni but I only got a 89% in IGCSE Math, even though my predicted was 95%. I'm signed up to retake it in May, before 11th starts. I recently got into one of the best IB schools where I live (India), and so the atmosphere is going to be really competitive. I'm worried they won't let me take Math HL because of my low 10th grade score.
If IGCSE scores mean anything, I got 8 A*s and an A, having done two subjects (History and Economics, for self-study)

This is what I'm thinking of doing:

Math HL
Chemistry HL
Economics or Psychology HL

English Literature A1 SL
French B SL
Physics SL

I can't decide
a) Whether to switch Physics up to HL and my Group 3 subject down to SL
b) Whether to take French as a fourth HL
c) Whether to take Economics or Psychology. I know that Econ is more maths based and so will probably be more useful for me, but Psych just seems more interesting...

I really wanted to do Further Maths, but my school doesn't offer it. Thanks for any help in advance. :smile:
Hi, I'm new to the forum and in Year 11. I created this account specifically to ask about this thread.

I was planning on:

English Lit HL
Psychology HL
History/Art HL

Spanish Ab Initio SL
Maths/Maths Studies SL
Biology SL

I want to do law or possibly psychology, I'm not sure yet. I do however have a lot of questions.

I don't want to do anything Maths based, definitely. I really dislike Maths and I'm not good at it. I've always been a literature person. So I was wondering, exactly how bad would it be to take Maths Studies? As far as my GCSEs are looking, I may be forced into taking it, or taking SL and dropping if I can't cope. But if Maths Studies is something that's going to ruin my chances for a good uni, I will force myself into continuing SL. However, I don't really want to go through two years of extra torture (as I don't want to do IB in the first place) with more Maths than I can handle while maintaining some form of sanity.

Secondly, I was wondering how difficult History is at HL. I'm not bad at History GCSE and I could probably cope - I actually wanted to take Geography, but that's in the same option block as Psychology, which I really really want to take. If History HL is very difficult, in your opinions, would it be alright to take Art HL? Our IB coordinator is always saying that the IB was designed for an arts course to be taken, but I will definitely not be taking an arts centred course at uni, so would taking Art HL instead of another essay-based subject therefore be detrimental to my progress?

Lastly, I never want to take French ever again once I'm done with GCSEs so I'm taking Spanish Ab Initio. I will probably do quite well in it as I'm fluent in a Spanish colonial language. But I wanted to ask if unis will look at Spanish Ab as far weaker than French B, particularly if I end up taking Maths Studies as well.

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 878
Recently I was talking to my teacher about the options for maths, I'm in top set maths at my school at the moment and my teacher said I would be able to take maths studies in one year, however the Universities I'm interested in want maximum points.
Would maths studies lessen my chances of getting in than if I were to take standard level maths?
(interested in human rights/law)
Reply 879
Ok so we had an IB options evening today and I am more confused than ever about the courses that I should take. I want to study medicine and am sure of taking:
English A1 SL
Maths HL
French B
Chemistry HL
Biology HL

However, for english, I just realized that there are two options: English language and literature, and English literature. I am actually stronger at literature than the language - do both for IGCSE - but I think I read in some universities' websites that they need English Language IB if you want to study medicine. Is that true, or could i just take literature and get into a medical school? Also, I do history as IGCSE, and I enjoy the course very much, and my teacher thinks I should definitely take it at IB. However, I am also considering taking psychology IB because first of all, I think i'll be very interested in it, and because it is kind of related to medicine. Do you think History will look better when I apply to universities for medicine or psychology? History can improve my essay writing skills, and sounds like a tougher course....:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending