The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by musicalbatgirl
Hi everyone, I'm struggling with subject choices as well. I'm starting at a new school in September and I need to submit my choices next week, and so far I've chosen:

English Literature A HL
French B HL
History HL
Economics SL
Maths SL

I'm torn between choosing SL Biology or ESS as my Group 4. I'm not too keen on Biology because my teacher last year wasn't that great, but I don't know too much about the ESS; from what I've heard it's considered something of a 'soft' subject and not appealing to universities. I have no intention of going for a science-related degree, though. Any information, tips or opinions? c:

I cannot emphasise this enough: If you're not applying for a science related degree, universities do not care about whether you've taken ESS or not.

It's there to help non science students get a better overall score without having to struggle through something they don't enjoy or are not good at. Yes, it's a soft subject but it's still difficult to get a 7 in (most decent/ good students end up with a 5 or 6) because it's so vague and the mark schemes are so tricky.

So don't worry about it not being appealing to your universities, all they care about are your HLs. I took ESS and Math Studies (two of the most looked down upon subjects) but applied for English literature and got offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Exeter and Aberdeen- they really do not care about subjects that aren't related to your course. Most important are HL requirements- they'll ask for, say, 38 with 766 at HL, so you need to be good at your HLs.

And another thing: in the IB, if you're teacher's not good, getting a good grade becomes very difficult. Again, I can't stress how important it is to have a good teacher, so please please don't take Bio, just take ESS and grant yourself a slightly more relaxed next two years.
Reply 941
I know that this question is asked often, but here goes:

Physics or Chemistry in IB? (I'm not going to do HL in my 2nd year)

My current subjects are:
1. Maths HL
2. Economics HL
3. History HL
4. English A SL
5. French B SL
6. -

Looking to do Economics in Uni, but I like both Physics and Chemistry as subjects and am struggling to choose.
Original post by chiligrinder
Changed my options after a taster week of the timetable, as I am now sure what I want to do, what I love etc.

HL
Chemistry,
Maths,
Physics
(Latin) - our school requires a 4th HL for Maths HL candidates until they are sure they are going to commit.

SL
English Lit
History

Hard work ahead.

Now the IB year is about to begin, I have changed a lot since the taster week,

and have changed to this;

HL: Chemistry , Economics, Theatre

SL: Maths, English, Latin.

I love Chemistry with a great passion, but no longer wish to be a scientist. For all intensive purposes, are these a good set of IB sujects in your opinion?
Original post by chiligrinder
Now the IB year is about to begin, I have changed a lot since the taster week,

and have changed to this;

HL: Chemistry , Economics, Theatre

SL: Maths, English, Latin.

I love Chemistry with a great passion, but no longer wish to be a scientist. For all intensive purposes, are these a good set of IB sujects in your opinion?

You mean 'for all intents and purposes'.

Well, it's a good set of subjects if that's what you like. You have a humanity and a science at HL which is good for keeping options open. But ultimately, it depends on what you want to do, and what you enjoy. But seems okay to me.
Reply 944
Best combination for a degree in finance or economics?
So far i've come up with
HL econ
HL Business management
HL bio( only doing it cos i like it)
SL math( with an a level in math as well)
Sl english
Spanish ab initio
What changes do i need to make?
Reply 945
Original post by Joker :P
So far i've come up with
HL econ
HL Business management
Sl english
Spanish ab initio

Sounds okay, really. If you're good at HL bio you should be able to boost your overall score nicely. Math HL might look better than SL but you should check on that- see which universities require Math at HL for a finance course.
Reply 946
Original post by saachi
Sounds okay, really. If you're good at HL bio you should be able to boost your overall score nicely. Math HL might look better than SL but you should check on that- see which universities require Math at HL for a finance course.

Yeah im quite good at it :smile:
Im taking A level math on the side ( Which is what Warwick told me to do)
So i guess ill be alright for other unis too? Not 100% sure about other unis though
yeah ill definitely check thank you :smile:
So i guess ill be alright for other unis too? Not 100% sure about other unis though

I would advise against taking both B&M and Econ at HL if you're doing 3 HL subjects. B&M is too practical and not loved by many universities, so I'd say either do it at SL or take it as a fourth HL subject (if you're interested in it, it's not too difficult), and take Maths at HL if you really want to get into finance and/or economics - not even necessarily for uni purposes but because you need very good maths. If you're doing Maths A-level, might as well do Maths HL, or just do that instead of the A-level; I'm sure Warwick would agree.
Reply 948

Original post by logiadoevus
I would advise against taking both B&M and Econ at HL if you're doing 3 HL subjects. B&M is too practical and not loved by many universities, so I'd say either do it at SL or take it as a fourth HL subject (if you're interested in it, it's not too difficult), and take Maths at HL if you really want to get into finance and/or economics - not even necessarily for uni purposes but because you need very good maths. If you're doing Maths A-level, might as well do Maths HL, or just do that instead of the A-level; I'm sure Warwick would agree.

Agree with logiadoevus about the Math HL thing, if you're doing A-level math might as well take IB Math at HL. It's a lot less confusing for your other universities too :smile:
So far i've come up with
HL econ
HL Business management
Sl english
Spanish ab initio

If you're aiming for a top-tier university, I'd say that:

HL Economics
HL Mathematics
HL Biology (however, Physics is better for your application)
SL English
SL History
SL Spanish ab initio

Maths HL is a must for the best econ courses out there, business management is a very very soft subject and not very highly regarded. The best science for an economics course is probably Physics or Chemistry, however Bio is fine as well. Instead of business, you should definitely consider History SL, as it demonstrates essay writing abilities and is in my opinion one of the most rewarding IB subjects. The most basic thing is however to have Maths at HL.
Reply 950
Original post by Achilleasrn
If you're aiming for a top-tier university, I'd say that:

HL Economics
HL Mathematics
HL Biology (however, Physics is better for your application)
SL English
SL History
SL Spanish ab initio

Maths HL is a must for the best econ courses out there, business management is a very very soft subject and not very highly regarded. The best science for an economics course is probably Physics or Chemistry, however Bio is fine as well. Instead of business, you should definitely consider History SL, as it demonstrates essay writing abilities and is in my opinion one of the most rewarding IB subjects. The most basic thing is however to have Maths at HL.

Is sl history easier than HL b&M? If im doing HL math ill need to dedicate far more time on it and im afraid sl history will take more time since i havent taken it at IGCSE level
Is sl history easier than HL b&M? If im doing HL math ill need to dedicate far more time on it and im afraid sl history will take more time since i havent taken it at IGCSE level

The program I linked might not be the easier, but it's definitely doable. Higher Level biology is arguably the easier science at HL, HL Econ is a pretty soft subject as well. SL history is harder than HL B&M, but again that's pretty much the best shot you can get at top-tier unis. Besides, if you find the workload too heavy you can always make changes at the first 3 months of your IB.
The program I linked might not be the easier, but it's definitely doable. Higher Level biology is arguably the easier science at HL, HL Econ is a pretty soft subject as well. SL history is harder than HL B&M, but again that's pretty much the best shot you can get at top-tier unis. Besides, if you find the workload too heavy you can always make changes at the first 3 months of your IB.

That's a completely subjective judgement. HL B&M has one of the smaller % of 7s, comparable even to HL Math if I remember correctly.
Reply 953
Hey there everyone,

I am a DP program student who is equally good at Biology and Physics, but I just can't decide between them! I am going to take Chemistry at HL anyway, I'm just not sure whether I should go for Biology or Physics for my other HL. I have no career preference as of yet, but I'd like to go into either engineering or medicine. Which of the 2 subjects is harder? And could you please list their pros and cons?

Also, for a career in engineering, is it preferable to have a 5 in HL math or a 7 in SL math?

Thanks!
Reply 954
i am so stupid. i can't believe i took german at HL. and not english or german and english. i'm stupid stupid stupid.
anyway. my combo is:
German A1 HL
English Language and Literature A1 SL
Biology HL
Maths SL
History SL
Art HL

i'm the most stupid person on the planet if not in the whole universe and beyond...
Reply 955
I need help guys. I want to study business/management at university and i need to make my IB subjects decision. This is what i already have:

Physics HL
History or Geography HL
Economics HL
German B SL
English Lang/Litt SL
Mathematics SL

1. Are those subjects good for what i want to do. by the way my mother tongue is french and i have an IGCSE and other diplomas to prove it.
2. GEO or HISTORY? Physics HL is gonna take up so much time and im not confident i can take the two hardest subjects (physics and History in HL). :confused:
Reply 956
Original post by Watsupbro
I need help guys. I want to study business/management at university and i need to make my IB subjects decision. This is what i already have:

Physics HL
History or Geography HL
Economics HL
German B SL
English Lang/Litt SL
Mathematics SL

1. Are those subjects good for what i want to do. by the way my mother tongue is french and i have an IGCSE and other diplomas to prove it.
2. GEO or HISTORY? Physics HL is gonna take up so much time and im not confident i can take the two hardest subjects (physics and History in HL). :confused:

Well, when I have been talking to some IB veterans, the general concensus is that Geography is a lot less challenging (in the pure sense it won't command most of your time). I am taking HL Geo myself, as it ties quite well with Economics, so it may aid you with BM there-although it does not really make much of a difference. Overall I think your choice is sound having taken into account your uni aspirations. Hope this helps in some way:P

My full list of IB options are

Geography HL
Economics HL
French HL*

English SL
Maths Methods SL
Biology SL

I have one question by the way to everyone,

I am considering changing from HL French to HL English. Any thoughts on which would be more challenging/streneous/enjoyable. I have no real preference, (both got A* in them at IGCSE level) but I fear HL French sounds like such a huge jump into the difficult unknown.

Thanks in advance,
Original post by dogmatichurricane
That's a completely subjective judgement. HL B&M has one of the smaller % of 7s, comparable even to HL Math if I remember correctly.

And I'm pretty sure that SL History has even less. Although, my main point was that Universities definately judge BM HL as a softer subject that history SL
Reply 958
Original post by Aroooney
Well, when I have been talking to some IB veterans, the general concensus is that Geography is a lot less challenging (in the pure sense it won't command most of your time). I am taking HL Geo myself, as it ties quite well with Economics, so it may aid you with BM there-although it does not really make much of a difference. Overall I think your choice is sound having taken into account your uni aspirations. Hope this helps in some way:P

My full list of IB options are

Geography HL
Economics HL
French HL*
English SL
Maths Methods SL
Biology SL

I have one question by the way to everyone,

I am considering changing from HL French to HL English. Any thoughts on which would be more challenging/streneous/enjoyable. I have no real preference, (both got A* in them at IGCSE level) but I fear HL French sounds like such a huge jump into the difficult unknown.

Thanks in advance,

Thanks for answering my Q. I'm not sure if your taking French A or B. my mother tongue is French and I took French A for Igcse and got 98% (cause we did the second language test). French is a hard language to learn but if you are fluent it's fine. I guess English is better if you wanna go to a anglophone uni.

I have a question for everyon. What subject is better for business/management, Geo HL or Hist HL. I know history is very well regarded but will be a lot of work. My main question is if Geo is good for business and managements studies?
And I'm pretty sure that SL History has even less. Although, my main point was that Universities definately judge BM HL as a softer subject that history SL

"I'm pretty sure" is a useless statement. So is claiming to know what universities know or want in a definitive manner. Yes, generally speaking History is preferable to B&M but it is wrong of you to claim something as a fact when, in fact, you don't know it that well, especially not if you're a current student.

Latest

Trending

Trending