Scroll to see replies

These are the subjects I've (finally) settled upon for IB:

HLs - English Language and Literature, Economics, Computer Science
SLs - Visual Art, Maths, Spanish ab initio
Original post by gkkiller
These are the subjects I've (finally) settled upon for IB:

HLs - English Language and Literature, Economics, Computer Science
SLs - Visual Art, Maths, Spanish ab initio

That's a very interesting subject combination! What do you plan on studying at university?

And good luck with IB :smile:
Original post by LeFeuilly
At my school, several people who were, according to my teacher, very able-mathematicians ended up swapping maths for maths studies because they found SL - yes, standard level - too hard. In fact, the entire department hasn't even given anyone currently achieving a "B" or below in iGCSE maths the opportunity to take SL maths (much less HL), so most (including me *waves "I-almost-got-an-A-flag"*) are stuck with maths studies :P

I'm not entirely sure about workload, though; I'm mostly going off of IB talks I had this year and acquaintances whom I talked to in regards to my choices.

Personally, I think that you should take SL maths especially as you're planning to go into law; there isn't an overwhelming need for maths in that career, I believe, and SL should suffice :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm still going to take HL math though, simply because I really like math.
Original post by pbunny
That's a very interesting subject combination! What do you plan on studying at university?

And good luck with IB :smile:

Visual Art + Comp Science should hopefully lead me into the game design field. If that doesn't work out, my plan is to be a screenwriter / novelist, which is where English comes into play. I know that I should probably take HL Art, but I haven't done Art as a subject before. Alsom I've heard that HL Art is extremely time consuming and I'm not extremely skilled at Art - a little above average, at best. I haven't taken Computer Science before either, but programming can be learned - it's not as talent based as Art - so hopefully my subject choices don't bite me in the ass, haha. Economics is only there because I like it as a subject more than the alternatives (Psychology, Business or History).
Visual Art + Comp Science should hopefully lead me into the game design field. If that doesn't work out, my plan is to be a screenwriter / novelist, which is where English comes into play. I know that I should probably take HL Art, but I haven't done Art as a subject before. Alsom I've heard that HL Art is extremely time consuming and I'm not extremely skilled at Art - a little above average, at best. I haven't taken Computer Science before either, but programming can be learned - it's not as talent based as Art - so hopefully my subject choices don't bite me in the ass, haha. Economics is only there because I like it as a subject more than the alternatives (Psychology, Business or History).

That's cool :smile: My best friend does HL art - she actually switched from SL to HL and moved economics down to SL, her reasoning was that there was very little between HL/SL art and that she'd rather spend her extra time working on art rather than economics since its important for her university course and career. In your case, stick with SL if you're not confident in your art skills but I have got to say that you will make a lot of progress throughout the course in terms of the quality of your work, my friend's drawing skills and what not have improved quite a lot in just a couple of months (we're in IB 1). You made the right choice by going with econ (not biased at all :tongue:) - its an extremely interesting course and the theories you'll learn about can be mostly applied to real life so you'll benefit from the knowledge you gain in that class irrespective of your university/career plans.Plus, its an easy 6 or 7. But I must add that if you don't end up enjoying it seriously consider taking psychology, its just as interesting (but is a ton more work lol).
Hey, I have a question. I am in my first year of IB and my subjects currently are:
HL English A2 Lang&Lit, French B, History, Mathematics
SL Biology, Polish A1

However, I've always been rather a humanities/social sciences type and after the first semester my Maths grade is, well, bad :/ I want to try to put more effort into Maths this semester, I'm taking additional classes, however I don't know if it's worth it and am wondering if switching HL Maths to HL Polish wouldn't be better (I really enjoy Polish). I want to study PPE later on and want to have a more varied background and that's why I'm hesitating. I have to decide until the beginning of March when I have my IA in Polish which is different for HLs and SLs and I don't know what to do. Do you think taking Polish HL and having 5 HLs in case I'd have to drop Maths to SL would work or would it be way too much considering my other subjects and the IB workload in general? Thanks in advance for any help!
(edited 9 years ago)
I want to study medicine at university. Is the IB a good idea for me?
And What are the pros and cons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
I want to study medicine at university. Is the IB a good idea for me?
And What are the pros and cons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some universities are really starting to like the IB, and it's great preparation for university. It's a fair bit of work and it'll keep you busy, but a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

I think the IB HL science subjects are great courses, and that's probably the only bit that matters for Medicine.
Original post by Bude8
Some universities are really starting to like the IB, and it's great preparation for university. It's a fair bit of work and it'll keep you busy, but a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

I think the IB HL science subjects are great courses, and that's probably the only bit that matters for Medicine.

Yep, and some have started to lower their overall score requirements, the kings college representative that came to my school mentioned that they've lowered all their 38-39 point requirements to 35 points!
Original post by pbunny
That's cool :smile: My best friend does HL art - she actually switched from SL to HL and moved economics down to SL, her reasoning was that there was very little between HL/SL art and that she'd rather spend her extra time working on art rather than economics since its important for her university course and career. In your case, stick with SL if you're not confident in your art skills but I have got to say that you will make a lot of progress throughout the course in terms of the quality of your work, my friend's drawing skills and what not have improved quite a lot in just a couple of months (we're in IB 1). You made the right choice by going with econ (not biased at all :tongue:) - its an extremely interesting course and the theories you'll learn about can be mostly applied to real life so you'll benefit from the knowledge you gain in that class irrespective of your university/career plans.Plus, its an easy 6 or 7. But I must add that if you don't end up enjoying it seriously consider taking psychology, its just as interesting (but is a ton more work lol).

Oh really? I actually heard that there was a huge difference between HL and SL Art. I'm fairly good at sketching, but otherwise not that much into art, so I think I'll be average-ish. On the other hand, I quite like Economics after studying it in IGCSE for the past three years, and from what I've seen of the class, it's not that much of a jump between IGCSE Economics and IB Economics. If what you say is true, I may decide after a few weeks of class to switch Eco down to SL and Art up to HL.
So I'm done with my IGCSEs and I got:
A* in English as a First Language,
B in Economics,
A in Chemistry,
A in Biology,
A in Physics,
B in Mathematics,
A in ICT
and B in Hindi as a Second Language.

Now I'm continuing with IB and I'm considering the following subjects:
English Language and Literature- HL
French ab initio- SL
Business Management- HL
Psychology- SL
Chemistry- HL
Mathematical Studies- SL

I'm unsure of doing Psychology and wouldn't mind swapping it with ITGS or Economics as a SL subject. Also, I'd considered doing Math SL before, but after receiving just a 'B' in my IGCSE exam, I'm not sure I'd be able to do it.

I'm not sure of what I want to do after IB, or where I want to go - I live in India and am most probably sticking to my hometown colleges - but career-wise, I'm planning something business-y along with having an occupation as a beta reader/ book editor/ maybe writer.

Are my subject choices alright?
Original post by Bude8

Oh cool thanks :smile:
So what should I take for HL?
What do u think will be the best combination for oxbridge?
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by diana99
Oh cool thanks :smile:
So what should I take for HL?
What do u think will be the best combination?
Posted from TSR Mobile

HL Chemistry and Bio, rest are entirely up to you.
Original post by Bude8
HL Chemistry and Bio, rest are entirely up to you.

What about oxbridge in particular? The same?:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
What about oxbridge in particular? The same?:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check their websites. Though I am pretty sure HL Bio and Chem is all you need.
Oh really? I actually heard that there was a huge difference between HL and SL Art. I'm fairly good at sketching, but otherwise not that much into art, so I think I'll be average-ish. On the other hand, I quite like Economics after studying it in IGCSE for the past three years, and from what I've seen of the class, it's not that much of a jump between IGCSE Economics and IB Economics. If what you say is true, I may decide after a few weeks of class to switch Eco down to SL and Art up to HL.

Well that's what my friend's art teacher told her, I recommend you ask your too just to be on the safe side!

As someone that has also done IGCSE economics and is taking HL economics I can confidently say that there is a HUGE difference between IGCSE and IB economics (more similar at SL but barely, HL is a completely different matter!). Trust me, doing IGCSE will only help you at the beginning of each topic as you already know the basics but that's the only way it'll give you a one up. But nonetheless, its a pretty easy subject so you should be fine if you enjoy it and did well in IGCSE economics.
Hello guys, I am in grade 11 and I am currently in the first year of IB diploma. I live in Canada.
I am looking forward studying medicine in University, and I understand that the best combination of subjects is chem, bio, math in HL. However, my school only allows students to take either Chem HL or Bio HL, and English HL is MANDATORY (strange rule). Now I am taking Chem HL, English HL, Math HL, physics SL, History HL and Mandarin SL. I am thinking about taking Biology 11 or 12(in regular BC school system) in summer school, do you guys think that would help? Also what is good to do for CAS(extra corriculum)?
Thanks so much if anyone can help ^^
Hello everyone! I'm starting the IB this year in February and still can't decide on the subjects I would like to take...
Currently, my choices are:
English Language & Literature HL
Spanish B SL
Economics HL
Maths SL
Physics HL
Chemistry SL
I would love to study Computer Science at University, however, the school doesn't offer Maths HL so I'm stuck on SL. With that said, I'm still very much unsure about my choices, what I want to do in the future. I could study something like International Relations, Law or perhaps... biotechnology? Since I am still making decisions, I want to keep my options as open as possible. Which science subjects would you suggest? Physics is the only one I like out of Physics, Chemistry and Biology so I would want to include that. Economics is a sure choice as well. I'm deciding on the last subject, wondering if I should take Chemistry, Biology or some humanities subject like Geography. I would like the take that subject at HL if possible because language is not a strong point for me.
I would very much appreciate any opinions, advices. Thanks a lot for reading this and for any help received!
Reply 1418
Hi What are the books you recommend for IB mathematics (SL)?
Reply 1419
Original post by BigFudamental
Yea definitely. If you think there's no way you'll do well at maths hl then clearly do sl instead. But be sure about it, there's some pretty good books for IB mathematics out there and you can teach yourself a lot of it if your teacher is crap.

Which books do you recommend for IB mathematics?

Latest

Trending

Trending