The Student Room Group

a level physics... maths mechanics or stats?

im going to do my a levels in september and im definately going to do maths. i want to do physics as well. the problem is that im not sure if i should do stats or mechanics. i know that mechanics will help me with physics but when i go to uni, i want to do a maths degree that revolves more around stats than mechanics. Im quite confident about doing physics without mechanics and i think im more likely to do stats. Is there anyone else thats had this problem before or has it now???
Everyone at my college who does Physics automatically sits Mechanics rather than decision (they do stats in the AS year). However, I think mechanics is quite simplistic compared to physics so what you want to do at university is probably more important to you when making a choice.
I did Mechanics with Physics, mainly because I'm planning to do Physics at uni. If you do Mechanics, it will help slightly, but I found a lot of the Physics course structure was unrelated to what I did in Mechanics (it's just motion in a circle really). I would advise you to do stats if you want to do it at uni - you may get stats-related questions in university interviews if you're heading for a stats-based course, so it would be useful.
Reply 3
Our physics set basically split in half during the A2 year: those who'd done more mechanics and those who didn't. Stuff like SHM, motion in a circle etc etc become so much easier when you've covered them from a proper mathematical perspective.
Reply 4
Hmm id go for mechanics as with physics it makes maths a bit easier. You could always take stats as your option during A2 if you are set on doing something statistics based.
Reply 5
you should bear in mind that stats is a turgid load of old b ollo x.
Reply 6
Stats is the best, roar! Do M1 if you wish but nearly all of it is the same as physics except from coeff of friction and integration. I've heard M2 helps a lot though.
Reply 7
Unis much prefer mechanics to stats, if you're going to do physics at uni. Otherwise take whichever you want.

However, stats is mindnumbingly boring, so I'd say take mechanics.

Latest