The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Biology Modules

Hi

How many optional modules can be taken with a Zoology degree?

I'm still not sure how it works. In the first year, is it 3 Biology modules that are compulsory and then I can choose 3 modules from ANY other subject? So for a random example German, Chemistry and Maths?

I don't think I'd want to study so many subjects. Is there an opportunity to study the 3 compulsory biology modules + 1 or 2 more optional biology modules? Is it always 6 modules in the first year?

And what are the pre-requisites to study a German module, is it an A-level in German or a GCSE?

Cheers.
_Bright Eyes
Hi

I'm still not sure how it works. In the first year, is it 3 Biology modules that are compulsory and then I can choose 3 modules from ANY other subject? So for a random example German, Chemistry and Maths?

I think it explains it pretty well on the Biology school's website tbh

http://biology.st-andrews.ac.uk/pageset.aspx?psr=107

Also, variants on this question have been covered many times in FAQ and Ask A Current Student.

_Bright Eyes

I don't think I'd want to study so many subjects. Is there an opportunity to study the 3 compulsory biology modules + 1 or 2 more optional biology modules? Is it always 6 modules in the first year?

There are only 3 first year biology modules, you will have to chose three other non-biology modules (not necessarily in 3 subjects though, e.g. you could chose to do german and maths and fill up your remaining 3 module choices with these).

_Bright Eyes

And what are the pre-requisites to study a German module, is it an A-level in German or a GCSE?

Again, it's quite easy to check the university website to answer questions like this http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/modlangs/german/firstyearmodules/ Basically there are modules for people who have A-Level and people who have GCSE/nothing.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
_Bright Eyes
Hi

Cheers.

Hmm...I can't remember the number of compulsary modules you have to take for each particular degree path...they do explain it to you at the end of 1st year, but you don't need to worry about it yet...if I remember correctly, for Zoology in 3rd yr, you only have to do Zoology and 2 other bio modules in the whole of 2nd year... it's if you're going down Biochem or Molecular routes that it becomes more strict!

Ok, in 1st year, only 2 of the biology modules are compulsary for 2nd year ("Cell Biology and Genetics" in 1st semester and "Molecular Biology" in 2nd semester) but there is another module in 2nd semester called "biology of organisms" which they would like you to have if you are planning on going down the zoology type route... but it's Molecular that you HAVE to do if you're plannign on doing 2nd year biology. SO basically in 1st semester you'll have 2 other "random" subjects, and 2nd semester either 1 or 2 depending on whether you do Bio of organisms or not.

Yep you have to total 120 credits (each module in 1st year is 20 credits) and I'm afraid there are only 3 bio modules maximum that you can do in 1st year.

German you can either do Beginners or Advanced... Advanced you have to have done Higher or A-level, and Beginners I think it's preferable that you have done a GCSE or Standard Grade, but I don't think necessarily compulsary (but I could be wrong there... best to check it out!)
Reply 3
I have a similar question.. If I'm entering straight into 2nd year biology, is it safe to assume I won't be able to take any non-bio courses (optional modules) because I haven't taken any first-year modules in other courses?
Reply 4
guava
I have a similar question.. If I'm entering straight into 2nd year biology, is it safe to assume I won't be able to take any non-bio courses (optional modules) because I haven't taken any first-year modules in other courses?

Yep...well it's up to you... the Biology modules are each worth 30 credits in 2nd year, and each semester you must do at least 60 credits. So if you choose 2 Bio modules each semester, you won't have to do any other modules. In 2nd year there are 6 bio modules to choose from, and if you're anything like me, it's tough to choose which to drop, so I doubt you'll have a problem with filling up all your semesters with purely Biology if that's what you want to do! :smile:

Any other bio related qus, or anything for that matter, feel free to ask!
Reply 5
Sophie_C have you already done your second year? I'm starting in September straight into 2nd year and was looking for a reading list, any idea where i can get one? Thanks :smile:
Natalie :D
Sophie_C have you already done your second year? I'm starting in September straight into 2nd year and was looking for a reading list, any idea where i can get one? Thanks :smile:

I've had a look on the website and I can't find anything :frown: I'm not a biologist though.

Out of interest, how did you manage to get second year entry? People are always asking about second year entry and normally biology isn't one of the schools that allows it so I'm curious.
Reply 7
I stuck it to the man and won! Ha no I argued with the biology admissions guy and he took it to the director of teaching who said yes so wooh! :smile:
Reply 8

Hey! Nope I'm just going into my 2nd year! Now, reading lists, I'm afraid the Biology department aren't very good at giving reading lists lol! We didn't get one for 1st year until we started, when we were just told in a intro lecture what we'd need to get, so I guess it'll be the same for 2nd year...!

Ok so last yr we were told we had to buy the following textbooks:

1. Campbell and Reeces "Biology"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Inte...7319984&sr=8-1

2. "Practical Skills in Biology" by Dr Allan Jones
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Sk..._bxgy_b_text_b

3. "Asking Questions in Biology" by Barnard, Gilbert and McGregor
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asking-Quest...7320374&sr=1-1

These 3 are the ones they say you must get, and will last you for most of your degree. I would advise you to get them from Blackwells in St Andrews once you get to St Andrews, as they put the 3 together for a slightly discounted price (cheaper than buying the 3 seperately), and also gives you a free online biology study thing with them as well. Orrr...there will most likely be some people selling theirs as they are no longer continuing with bio or whatever...

Other than that, if there are any textbooks that they recommend for particular modules, if it's anything like last yr, they just recommend them in lectures etc...

Hope that was of some help, bsaically you don;t really need to worry about it until you actually get to St Andrews :smile:
Reply 9
I stuck it to the man and won! Ha no I argued with the biology admissions guy and he took it to the director of teaching who said yes so wooh! :smile:

That's what I did, too! :smile: It was pretty easy actually.
Reply 10
sophie_c
Hey! Nope I'm just going into my 2nd year! Now, reading lists, I'm afraid the Biology department aren't very good at giving reading lists lol! We didn't get one for 1st year until we started, when we were just told in a intro lecture what we'd need to get, so I guess it'll be the same for 2nd year...!

Ok so last yr we were told we had to buy the following textbooks:

1. Campbell and Reeces "Biology"
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Inte...7319984&sr=8-1

2. "Practical Skills in Biology" by Dr Allan Jones
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Sk..._bxgy_b_text_b

3. "Asking Questions in Biology" by Barnard, Gilbert and McGregor
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asking-Quest...7320374&sr=1-1

These 3 are the ones they say you must get, and will last you for most of your degree. I would advise you to get them from Blackwells in St Andrews once you get to St Andrews, as they put the 3 together for a slightly discounted price (cheaper than buying the 3 seperately), and also gives you a free online biology study thing with them as well. Orrr...there will most likely be some people selling theirs as they are no longer continuing with bio or whatever...

Other than that, if there are any textbooks that they recommend for particular modules, if it's anything like last yr, they just recommend them in lectures etc...

Hope that was of some help, bsaically you don;t really need to worry about it until you actually get to St Andrews :smile:

The campbell and Reeces one - i've just looked on amazon and theres a few that are similar i just know it's going to be the most expensive one the International Version but thought i'd check first? I'm probably going over to St Andrews next weekend so i'll maybe look at getting them then.

I got the impression from what i could find on the website that Biology aren't too keen on giving out reading lists before you start, nevermind i'd probably not read them before anyhow. Thanks
Reply 11
The campbell and Reeces one - i've just looked on amazon and theres a few that are similar i just know it's going to be the most expensive one the International Version but thought i'd check first? I'm probably going over to St Andrews next weekend so i'll maybe look at getting them then.

I got the impression from what i could find on the website that Biology aren't too keen on giving out reading lists before you start, nevermind i'd probably not read them before anyhow. Thanks

Erm...think it's the 8th edition they suggested we got...the newest one... i think the ones a wee bit older than that are fine, but not too far back... I had an earlier edition (i think 4th or 5th) that I picked up in a charity shop for next to nothing, but when I compared it to the 8th edition it had changed quite a bit...
Yeh that's a good idea, at least if you've managed to have a look at what it is you're looking for, and know the price that Blackwells are charging, you'll know if you'd be better getting it from the likes of Amazon or not!

Yeh...it's probs not worthwhile to try and read them beforehand anyway, cos you can't be sure what we'll be covering, and not, and the books are pretty epic, not exactly light reading lol!
Do most people do 2 less modules and do 4 in the second year then?

I'd like to do German and Chemistry (Organic since I enjoyed it more at college) but can't fit them in. There's only one spare module in the 2nd semester of first year. The two German B1 and B2 modules are for semester 1 and 2 respectively and the Chemistry ones Organic1 and Organic2 are both Semester 2 modules :/. So I could only do one of the 3 in the first year, is that about right?

Edit: Could I do 2 modules in the first semester then 4 in the second?
Reply 13
_Bright Eyes
Do most people do 2 less modules and do 4 in the second year then?

I'd like to do German and Chemistry (Organic since I enjoyed it more at college) but can't fit them in. There's only one spare module in the 2nd semester of first year. The two German B1 and B2 modules are for semester 1 and 2 respectively and the Chemistry ones Organic1 and Organic2 are both Semester 2 modules :/. So I could only do one of the 3 in the first year, is that about right?

Edit: Could I do 2 modules in the first semester then 4 in the second?

first things first, I am pretty sure there is only one organic chem module in second semesteR? I checked too, but maybe I am not understanding what you are meaning. Nevertheless, You could perhaps do 1 german module per semester, one organic module in 2nd semester, 1 bio module in 1st and 2 bio modules in second semester, which may not be a problem as you should be able to persuade them to let you have 4 modules in second semster if you are really persistent. What may be a problem however, is that the modules may clash, but they didnt last year, I mean organic and zoology in second semester, not sure about german, so that may work out.
Hmm seems so yeah.. I'm sure I saw two before, maybe I thought the second year one was a first year one..

I'll probably just do the 3 bio modules (1 in first sem, 2 in second) and 1 german in the first sem, then the chemistry (CH1601 Organic and Biological Chemistry 1) which is a 2nd sem module. Would need to find another module to do in the first semester then. Don't really wanna overload myself with too much work I guess.
Reply 15
_Bright Eyes
Hmm seems so yeah.. I'm sure I saw two before, maybe I thought the second year one was a first year one..

I'll probably just do the 3 bio modules (1 in first sem, 2 in second) and 1 german in the first sem, then the chemistry (CH1601 Organic and Biological Chemistry 1) which is a 2nd sem module. Would need to find another module to do in the first semester then. Don't really wanna overload myself with too much work I guess.

probably a good idea, as having three science modules + german would probably kill your social life, as you would have labs or tutorials on most days. The nice things about st andrews is that there are so many modules to choose from.
thanks for the help (y)

Latest

Trending

Trending