The Student Room Group

Ask an ABM.

Scroll to see replies

Just spent the last couple of weeks working my way through this thread and all the info from my RJP and previous AFCO visits, and now I feel (hopefully) that my filter intervew tomorrow will go well!!

Thank you everyone for your words of advice! :biggrin:
sypher1985
No phone call for me yet :frown:

No phone call needed, in the post today was my OASC pack! I've got two of these now lol.
Reply 442
Then I suggest you get on the phone and call them!
Reply 443
sypher1985
No phone call needed, in the post today was my OASC pack! I've got two of these now lol.

So your saying you don't have to start the process again? After you received the text/email saying ABM was open for a limited period, you resubmitted your application straight away and had heard nothing back from them until you received an invitation from the OASC?

Just trying to figure out whats going on with my application, if i could be in the same situation as yourself. Wishful thinking again :o:
Yes, it's exactly like you said. Received the text message at 16:30. Submitted the application at 19:15. Received an email on the 17/9/10 saying:

'Thank you for your enquiry to join the RAF. We are now assessing your basic eligibility and will contact you again shortly.

Please note that this EMAIL HAS BEEN GENERATED BY AN UNATTENDED APPLICATION - REPLIES WILL NOT BE ACTIONED'

Then yesterday the standard OASC pack arrived with a date for the 2nd November. Picking up from where I left off in May. Except 3 months later. My last OASC was scheduled for Aug 3rd.
Pointsy
Then I suggest you get on the phone and call them!

Why is that Pointsy?
Reply 446
Thanks for that Sypher.

Good luck man.
Reply 447
sypher1985
Why is that Pointsy?

Sorry Sypher, that was in response to you not having heard anything. Congrats on the OASC date, my application should be sent to Cranwell this week for an OASC date to (hopefully) be decided :woo:
Reply 448
Bad news, on Tuesday I received an email which included the following..."Thank you for your application for service in the Royal Air Force. As wehave already received a sufficient number of applications for ourcurrent recruitment campaign, we are unable to process your application."

RJP on Tuesday, any need to know essential/advice?
Everything you need to know would already of been sent to you in the post. Wear a suit, ID, train tickets. Oh and have some cash handy because there is no cash machine on base.

Sorry for the bad news.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 450
Pretty much my first post on the forum so hello one and all.

I'm a currently serving Airman of the Trade Group 1 persuasion which is Aircraft Electrical / Avionics. I currently have 12 years under my belt.

Recently I attended the OASC with a very strong desire to remuster to WSOp. Although I got all the way through, the one thing which let me down was something that I couldn't do anything about, my eyes or more specifically I'm slightly too short sighted.

So, after a nice chat with the Careers Liaison Officer were I was made aware of the alternatives (SNCO ATC or ABM) I decided to do a bit of research. So far from what I have read up about the role of the ABM it certainly looks to be what I am looking for in terms of a new challenges / adventures, more responsibility and something which could possibly reinvigorate my enjoyment of being employed within the Royal Air Force.

So long story short, I found out through a contact that there was to be a RJP this week, spoke to the OASC and the AFCO and promptly got myself enrolled on it as I'm quite keen but I still want to find out for myself what the role is all about.

However green the grass is on the other side at the moment, I still wish to approach this with my eyes wide open. As after all, it is a full on career change really.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing anybody else on here who will be attending the same RJP.

Richie
Reply 451
Sypher, you will have to let me know how OASC is, got my date (14th Nov) through today!

Andy G - Sorry to hear that mate
Reply 452
On the train back from the RJP now.

Just want to say thanks to the guys at Boulmer for helping to make it so enjoyable, I think most of us came back thinking that ABM was the right thing. Special thanks to Rich and Ben for all their efforts.

Thanks again, guys.
Reply 453
I would like to emulate Socaddict thanks as well. A very worthwhile event and one which has convinced me 100% to push on and remuster to ABM.
Just adding my thanks to those already posted. An excellent couple of days and an invaluable resource for anyone applying.
Reply 455
Anybody out there reading this with OASC dates yet?
Reply 456
Hello All,

Im sitting here revising heavily for OASC, and I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how much aircraft knowledge is needed for the Interview?

Clearly the obvious answer is everything, but Id rather know alot about the more important bits and a little about the others rather than average knowledge on it all!

Options are Aircraft, basings, squadrons, roles, weapons. I know this is all required for pilot, but is it for ABM?

Thanks
Hi pointsy you will need to have a Knowledge of the RAF how it operates and equipment, with regards to your specific trade I can't enlighten you myself but you will need an idea of your specific training and IOT.
I'm back from OASC early. I failed the aptitude test for ABM. The Clan test is where I fell down, I expected it to be the test I found the hardest, and it was even harder than I expected. I don't know what I'm going to do. Need some time to think.
Reply 459
Original post by Pointsy
Hello All,

Im sitting here revising heavily for OASC, and I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how much aircraft knowledge is needed for the Interview?

Clearly the obvious answer is everything, but Id rather know alot about the more important bits and a little about the others rather than average knowledge on it all!

Options are Aircraft, basings, squadrons, roles, weapons. I know this is all required for pilot, but is it for ABM?

Thanks

I had a second interview last Friday for the role of ABM. Believe me, it is no less intense the second time through!

Please remember, whatever I was asked or anyone else can not be used as a reliable indicator to what you will be asked. You could know 95% of what you are supposed to know but they will very likely find out on the 5% that you don't know. Don't panic, it's their job at the end of the day to find the limits of your knowledge and to see how you react under pressure.

You will need to know about IOT, how long it is and one question which nearly caught me out was in how they get across the various leadership teachings to the student. You will need to know about the Aptitude phase, the various streams and their respective training courses. You'll need to know what could happen in your first tour once qualified, and possibly what a second or even third tour could hold for you.

You'll need to know what we have now in terms of assets and how they may/have been acquired such as that dreaded Private Finance Initiative for the FSTA/A330-200 and what we may have in ten years time. Top tip, have a look at the Chief of Air Staff's comments on the SDSR. FF20 or Fighting Force 2020 in particular.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest