The Student Room Group

Art

Didn't know where else this should go...

But I'm basically looking to get back into art. By that I mean I did it at GCSE and started A level but the workload was too much.

Anyway, now it's the summer holidays I thought I'd use the opportunity to start getting back into drawing, painting, montages, scrapbooking... just creating, generally.

This might sound like a bit of an ominous question but you artists out there, what do you do for inspiration, and any advice on how I should get back into things?

Ta :smile:
Reply 1
You can find inspiration from anything. Look out of your window, create something from the first thing you see, or the first thing that comes into your head. Paint, photograph, write.. just constantly be creative and you will be surprised. Every occurrence/thought will affect your creativity. If i'm stuck for inspiration personally I find listening to music helps me. Also, the environment you are in makes a huge difference, and it all depends on personal preference. If you are looking into educational aspects, try applying for an art foundation, it's an intensive one year course, but you learn so much, it's really worth it, i've just finished mine, and am going to UAL next year to study. I truly can not wait. :smile:
Well you can't shop for inspiration, and obviously there's no formula for achieving it so I'll say... take a walk, see what happens. Sorry if that's one of those lame forum answers, where the author could have written nothing and had the same effect, but I have a point. Art is about perspective (sorry, I hate 'x is about y' phrases, because they can't be absolute), and you need to find your own point of view. Really, it's about making the objective subjective - so ANYTHING can be your inspiration, so long as after, after all the toil, there is a visible sign of your own perspective.

PS. There is nothing remotely ominous about your question. You got pictures, I got words.
Reply 3
I use music as inspiration particularly within temptations remix's
Reply 4
malleablegrace
Didn't know where else this should go...

But I'm basically looking to get back into art. By that I mean I did it at GCSE and started A level but the workload was too much.

Anyway, now it's the summer holidays I thought I'd use the opportunity to start getting back into drawing, painting, montages, scrapbooking... just creating, generally.

This might sound like a bit of an ominous question but you artists out there, what do you do for inspiration, and any advice on how I should get back into things?

Ta :smile:

I take inspiration from EVERYTHING lol people, places i've been, other work i've seen for example.

In the summer many Art unis do short courses like a week long (my friend did one last year at St Martins) so it depends where you live. She'd never done Art before (she wanted to start it for AS Level without GCSE) and she said it was really good and learned so much in such a short space of time and helped her get into it. Also inspired her a lot and helped her get into it for AS year.

Obviously the one at St Martins I think cost a bit but i'm sure if you search around your find something. Even life drawing classes for example would be a good start.

Try going out and taking some photographs and drawing from them in different ways e.g. charcoal, pencil, paint or mixed media. Sometimes can be better than drawing while your out as you have the photograph to study from as much as you like.

If your still stuck and need ideas try looking through deviant art and take inspiration there.

Also try to find your own style that's important :smile: and have fun!
Reply 5
If I'm in need of inspiration i usually check out http://www.deviantart.com/ there is plenty of other people's work and you are often allowed to use their photographs. I also like flicking through personal holiday photos etc. or even looking out the window and seeing the setting sun, different colours, shapes, textures...

Start off simple to get back into it - sit out in your garden with a sketch book and draw/paint some flowers or draw some objects around your house. Experiment with diferent colours, paints and equipment - i was using a ruler, pallete knife and bits of card the other day :smile:
Reply 6
Coincidentally, another member had a similar inquiry in the Arts, Music and Drama forum:

Matisse
Inevitably, every artist and designer will lack direction from time to time, which can, quite ironically, lead to further growth whilst seeking new and different avenues to draw inspiration from. In my case, the most accessible source has always been my environment, whether it be a bustling city or the rural countryside. At present, I live in London, so I often admire the architecture (victorian or edwardian, in particular), billboard advertising, or just the general scenery, depending on the area. Moreover, attending galleries, exhibitions, seminars and conventions can help exponentially. In addition, publications such as books and magazines pertaining to art and design is an invaluable source for inspiration (Magma Books comes to mind). In the same vein, the internet is undoubtably one of the best ways to gain inspiration, simply by viewing work produced by individuals and agencies. GFX Artist or Computer Love, for instance.

I've also requested for this thread to be moved to Creative Arts, which seems more appropriate. :smile:

Latest