The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

for the love of god don't do it...
medicine isnt just a degree, if you get the job it`l be part of your life. so its not worth it. stick to what you like. and theres a need for mathematicians, particularly maths teachers which are given are extra grant to go in to teaching as theres a shortage.
Reply 22
I've always found that people excel in subjects that they enjoy, so if you've got your heart set on a job that you think you'd be good at and you think you'd enjoy then there's no reason you shouldn't go for it :smile: If you haven't even started your A levels yet, you won't be leaving university for at least 5 years if not longer; who knows what will be going on with the economy and employment by then? Getting a job is important, but job security isn't the be all and end all- who wants to be secure in a job that they hate?!
memyselfandi93
Hey, I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm very confused about my A levels and my career

My family has a HUGE history with science obsessions and doctors and scientists so my Dad's pressuring me into doing Medicine his reasons are quite practical, with the recession going on the only course I can do which can offer a good job security is Medicine but the big problem is I HATEEEEEEEEEEE SCIENCE!!!! Although i work reallly hard at school and I'm not dumb but i'm not a genius either i LOVE maths/economics/finance stuff and i want to be a chartered accountant but i dont want to be one of those post graduate people who get out of a really good uni and dont find any work and i especially dont want to be in debt for the rest of my life!

So should i be safe and do medicine or should i do what i enjoy and take a risk???!!!!

and what a levels and uni courses would be appropriate for Chartered accountancy (I know medicine is A level Chemistry and one of the sciences)

Thank you :biggrin:

It's your life so you can do what you want really. What I would say though is neither medicine or accountancy/maths/finance stuff are typical "secure" jobs. Both professions are difficult to get into so focusing on what you want to do is the best option here. If you have judgemental parents then it doesn't matter anyway because whatever you do won't be good enough!

As for the post-graduate thing, no one wants to be in that situation unless they truly enjoy what they're doing.
Its as good a reason as any, though personally I would go for accounting.
Reply 25
There's not too much job security left any more...
Reply 26
Hell-to-the NO.
Definitely no, Medicine is one of those careers that requires you to WANT to do it and, moreso be passionate about studying it. Be a chartered accountant.
Reply 28
It'll just make you sodding miserable if you do it.
No, do what interests you, ie financial jobs. Take on maths, economics, further maths and possibly business studies to A Level to go down the financial route.

People find it tough enough to cope with medicine when they want to do it, neither mind when they don't want to!
Don't even consider Medicine.

Accountancy is awesome (my field of specialty :wink:). You can get into it with any degree (although something economicy or financy is useful; I do Accountancy which nets me loads of professional exemptions!), or go straight into qualifications without University.

You'll be better at doing something you enjoy, and, quite frankly, I'd rather be treated by someone who did it for the love of it not just cos of the 'job security'.
memyselfandi93
Hey, I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm very confused about my A levels and my career

My family has a HUGE history with science obsessions and doctors and scientists so my Dad's pressuring me into doing Medicine his reasons are quite practical, with the recession going on the only course I can do which can offer a good job security is Medicine but the big problem is I HATEEEEEEEEEEE SCIENCE!!!! Although i work reallly hard at school and I'm not dumb but i'm not a genius either i LOVE maths/economics/finance stuff and i want to be a chartered accountant but i dont want to be one of those post graduate people who get out of a really good uni and dont find any work and i especially dont want to be in debt for the rest of my life!

So should i be safe and do medicine or should i do what i enjoy and take a risk???!!!!

and what a levels and uni courses would be appropriate for Chartered accountancy (I know medicine is A level Chemistry and one of the sciences)

Thank you :biggrin:

Answer: NO.
Reply 32
Dude, by the time you qualify the economy will be at LEAST 7 years on from this recession, and who knows what state the NHS will be in? I wouldn't go into Medicine on the basis of job security alone, especially if it's not something you're even interested in, let alone passionate about.
Frankly, being at such an early stage (i.e. pre-A-level), plus the fact you hate science, it's really quite honestly one of the stupidest options possible.

If you hate science, you would hate medicine, full stop - and a lot of medicine is about passion - you're going to hate your job for life, even if you finished medical school.

Stick with something you love, and something you want to do.
In all honesty, i truly believe that if you're happy doing what you're doing, then who cares about employability, or salaries, or job security.

If i loved emptying bins, i would be a binman, and i wouldn't let anyone put me down for it.

I love science, i love people, therefore medicine.

You love maths and economics - there are loads of mathematically based economics and finance based degrees which you would enjoy much more, and frankly just having a degree is going to increase your employability anyway.

Good luck
Reply 34
No.
Don't even try it....

If you hate science, you might struggle doing science A-Levels let alone the medicine degree itself, and if you choose to apply and somehow do get the grades you'll probably get rejected (and I hope you do, you'll just take up a place of a person who want's to study it badly) because you won't be able to show that your motivated and compassionate about studying medicine.
What the hell? Go into finance/accountancy. I have absolutely no idea about the field but I've always thought the accountancy was one of those professions with relatively good job security (I wanted to be one when I was 14 :smile: ).

Latest