The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Computer Science at UCL or Bristol??

Hi,

I am facing a problem and need urgent advice on it. I am unable to make a decision between UCL and Bristol. I have unconditional offer for both the universities for similar courses and will be joining in September, 2005. In UCL its for MSc in Vision Imaging and Virtual Environments, and for MSc in Global Computing and Multimedia from Bristol. Both the courses are with the Department of Computer Science in respective universities.

The major reason due to which I am in favour of opting for UCL is the couse structure, as the course Vision Imaging and Virtual Environments (VIVE) at UCL is more specialized as compared to Bristol.

But if anyone can just just advise me which university is better, Bristol of UCL in accordance to the courses or comparing the job prospects thereafter, and in general considering all other factors, because ranking wise both RAE and TQA are the same for UCL as well as Bristol in case of Computer Science.

Any reply will be much appreciated.

Looking forward for a reply soon.
In terms of job prospects, they're about equal for computer science/tech jobs. UCL may have an edge because I know that some foreign tech companies recruit at UCL and Imperial that I don't think recruit from Bristol.

Because of that, you may want to go to UCL, when you add the fact that you prefer the course.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
The Times on-line has ranked the Computer Science department at Bristol joint third with Imperial College in a league table of Computer Science departments in the UK. Only Cambridge and York ranked higher. The league table was compiled by taking into account the quality of the teaching, research and the students at the institute. In addition it also takes into account the destinations of students when they leave the department.
Reply 3
ps bristol rules! wooo!