The Student Room Group

free NHS Prescriptions whilst at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Subcutaneous
im earning too much

Some people can get free prescriptions though, not everyone has to pay. Obviously depending on income.

EDIT: I meant to quote the OP
PGtips92
They're free for everyone in Wales / Scotland, just not England. How is that fair?

Course its fair - you get better other stuff - you have decided to spend your money somewhere else.

Theres loads of things that go on in england that dont go on in wales/scotland - for example the further maths

Theres just loads. The funding gap between school in wales and schools in england is absurd - its astronomical
Reply 42
eulerwaswrong
Course its fair - you get better other stuff - you have decided to spend your money somewhere else.

Theres loads of things that go on in england that dont go on in wales/scotland - for example the further maths

Theres just loads. The funding gap between school in wales and schools in england is absurd - its astronomical

It's different.

We all pay for the NHS, yet while the NHS pays for prescriptions in Wales, it doesn't in England. THAT is what isn't fair.

Check this.
PGtips92
It's different.

We all pay for the NHS, yet while the NHS pays for prescriptions in Wales, it doesn't in England. THAT is what isn't fair.

Check this.

do you know how lucky you are to even get the chance to see a doctor for free?
Reply 44
Subcutaneous
do you know how lucky you are to even get the chance to see a doctor for free?

I pay National Insurance so it isn't free.

I know what you mean, and yes i appreciate perhaps not as much as i should how fortunate i am in terms of education, health, etc etc. But you can say that anytime-do you know how lucky you are to even get the chance to use the internet?

Anyway, its unfair relative to the rest of the UK. Why is England treated differently? Everyone in the UK pays for the NHS, yet it only provides free prescriptions to all the countries other than England. It makes no sense.
Can't you apply for a HC2 certificate? It exempts you while you are in full time education i.e uni
Reply 46
My Doctor is giving me a super-prescription that should last me for the entirity of my first year :woo: and I've been cramming dentist/orthodontist/opticians etc in this week so officially I'm still 'in full time education' and don't have to pay for most things :biggrin: So I got a replacement retainer, dental check-up, eye test and reduced price frames and lenses along with a year's supply of medication :biggrin:
NHS England is a different organisation to NHS Scotland and NHS Wales
Reply 48
PGtips92
They're free for everyone in Wales / Scotland, just not England. How is that fair?

Some of the most common drugs are less than £7.20, like inhalers.

:ninja: I work in a Rowlands haha

They're not free for everyone in Scotland.
Reply 49
sadie-kiki
My Doctor is giving me a super-prescription that should last me for the entirity of my first year :woo: and I've been cramming dentist/orthodontist/opticians etc in this week so officially I'm still 'in full time education' and don't have to pay for most things :biggrin: So I got a replacement retainer, dental check-up, eye test and reduced price frames and lenses along with a year's supply of medication :biggrin:

Now to begin the overdose?
Reply 50
pamelaa
They're not free for everyone in Scotland.

They will be by April 2011. Not the case with England though.

Link.
Reply 51
can i ask something!...See when i was uni earlier on in the year i went doctors and they said that the prescriptions costs £7 so i bought it. I spoke to a friend and she said you don't have to pay you should have shown them your medical card is this right? It doesn't sound right!
Its free in wales :biggrin:
Reply 53
I just tick any box so I get it for free. Never been ofund out afteer 3 years
Reply 54
foxo
You should be paying £4 per prescription. :p:

I've never had a free prescription because until I was 19 I hadn't ever needed a prescription for anything. ******* asthma.

Oh, haha woops! does that include the pill though? Thats pretty much the only prescription i've had since uni, i think ... Im still 18 tho anyway so i think im right in saying i can still get them for free until im 19. but thats only a month away! :s-smilie: lol
Reply 55
Jdizzle09
Oh, haha woops! does that include the pill though? Thats pretty much the only prescription i've had since uni, i think ... Im still 18 tho anyway so i think im right in saying i can still get them for free until im 19. but thats only a month away! :s-smilie: lol

The pill is free regardless of age and income, because it's cheaper for the government to do that than it is to give females benefits because they're pregnant.

I spoke to a friend and she said you don't have to pay you should have shown them your medical card is this right?

What medical card? If it's the NHS medical exception card, (not the HC2/3 for low income) the answer is yes.

Can't you apply for a HC2 certificate? It exempts you while you are in full time education i.e uni

Only if your income is low enough after rent. £50.95 per week for under 25s and £64.30 for over 25s. If you receive disability living allowance, it's more.
Jdizzle09

The pill is free. You tick the prescribed contraception box on the back of the prescription.
Reply 57
robinson999
yeah but with the cost to fly to greece, and sorting that all out, easier to pop along, 15- 20 test, your fine, or you need new glasses, its just easier

and i didn't know that

You can combine it with sunbathing:p:
If you mean that, every EU national is entitled to all the rights local nationals enjoy, as far as doctors, medicine and hospitalization are concerned. There's only one exception to protect countries with a better public health system; in order to be entitled to medication and examination as a result of an illness/problem existent for some time before one goes to that country (like asthma or sth - there's a word in English for such illnesses which I can't recall at the moment), you have to be resident or intend to stay there some months (usually 6, which is the case in the UK). So an elderly woman from, say, Bulgaria won't come to the UK to treat her vein-problem :redface:
Dimitris
You can combine it with sunbathing:p:
If you mean that, every EU national is entitled to all the rights local nationals enjoy, as far as doctors, medicine and hospitalization are concerned. There's only one exception to protect countries with a better public health system; in order to be entitled to medication and examination as a result of an illness/problem existent for some time before one goes to that country (like asthma or sth - there's a word in English for such illnesses which I can't recall at the moment), you have to be resident or intend to stay there some months (usually 6, which is the case in the UK). So an elderly woman from, say, Bulgaria won't come to the UK to treat her vein-problem :redface:

that makes sense, good in a way
Up until you turn 19 it should be free if you are in full time education*

*Full-time education means you must be receiving full-time instruction at a recognised educational establishment, or another setting similar to a school, college or university (for example, home education). If you are not in full-time education, you still may be able to claim for help with health costs if you have a low income.

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1546.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending