The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

4 A's so going to Lancaster for eco XD Should be getting a scholarship too. Too exciting.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
Mother_Russia
4 A's so going to Lancaster for eco XD Should be getting a scholarship too. Too exciting.

If it does get too exciting use an ice pack. :smile:
Congrtaulations
Paulwhy
If it does get too exciting use an ice pack. :smile:
Congrtaulations

Hehe! And thank you for all your help, recommending me lancaster and all that. I went up, and loved it!
Reply 23
Mother_Russia
Hehe! And thank you for all your help, recommending me lancaster and all that. I went up, and loved it!

Hopefully you still think as well of Lancaster once you have been there a few weeks and have to start doing some work! :smile:
Reply 24
I Got in. By some miracle of god.
DarrenClarke

Well done. See you in one month for Freshers week :woo:
DarrenClarke

yep yep
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry it took so long to apply! Well as mentioned as you are doing a Double Major you'll need to take POLI100 and ECON102 (or ECON101 depending on whether you already have an A-Level in Economics), then you'll also have the option to choose one Minor as well. The University has an online course catalogue ( http://www.lancs.ac.uk/coursesearch/ ) which should aid you in your decision. Your options are pretty vast, but you'll need to be aware of some timetabling conflicts, but normally they don't occur between courses within the same Faculty (i.e., the Management School, or Arts and Social Sciences).
Reply 28
If anyones doing a joint degree with Economics and thinks they might want to switch to straight Economics after the end of the first year then bear in mind that according to the department rules you must have taken 101/102 AND 103.

If your not interested in switching then by all means look at all the options in other departments, but otherwise you should do Econ 103.
otu1987
If anyones doing a joint degree with Economics and thinks they might want to switch to straight Economics after the end of the first year then bear in mind that according to the department rules you must have taken 101/102 AND 103.

If your not interested in switching then by all means look at all the options in other departments, but otherwise you should do Econ 103.

Indeed. Though it is always best to discuss this with your department as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure there is something like a two week period at the start of Term whereby you can switch your modules around, but after that what you have chosen is what you have to stick with. So if you want to change your degree course in your second year it is always best to know exactly what the module requirements will be for that new course.
Reply 30
michaelbenson
Indeed. Though it is always best to discuss this with your department as soon as possible. I'm pretty sure there is something like a two week period at the start of Term whereby you can switch your modules around, but after that what you have chosen is what you have to stick with. So if you want to change your degree course in your second year it is always best to know exactly what the module requirements will be for that new course.

would this matter for something like Business Economics aswell, because if i didnt take to politics i was thinking of switching to business as i have A grade at A Level and A* at GCSE.
DarrenClarke
would this matter for something like Business Economics aswell, because if i didnt take to politics i was thinking of switching to business as i have A grade at A Level and A* at GCSE.

Again it would be entirely dependant on the course requirements for Business, and as important as A-Levels and GCSEs are for gaining entry to the course, at Part I, once you progress onto Part II they will be far more concerned as to whether you have taken the required modules or not.

You can always email the Department Secretary for Business Economics and ask in advance how switching your degree scheme to a straight Business degree would work. I mean if you are planning on doing this at the start of the year then it shouldn't be a problem, but if you want to do it at the end then is when you've got to look at what modules you've taken.
Reply 32
michaelbenson
Again it would be entirely dependant on the course requirements for Business, and as important as A-Levels and GCSEs are for gaining entry to the course, at Part I, once you progress onto Part II they will be far more concerned as to whether you have taken the required modules or not.

You can always email the Department Secretary for Business Economics and ask in advance how switching your degree scheme to a straight Business degree would work. I mean if you are planning on doing this at the start of the year then it shouldn't be a problem, but if you want to do it at the end then is when you've got to look at what modules you've taken.

so these extra part 1 courses will have ABB requirements like Economics and Politics.
How many courses/modules are there in one year to complete?
areusureaboutthat
How many courses/modules are there in one year to complete?

You'll have to take three courses. But depending on you're major will determine how many additional courses you have to take to your actual degree subject. For instance if you take Economics as a straight degree then you must take two Economics courses and then one Minor of your choice. However there are some subjects like Politics which if you were to take as a straight degree would mean you only have to take one Politics course and then two Minor's of your choice.

So it really depends on the course itself.
michaelbenson
You'll have to take three courses. But depending on you're major will determine how many additional courses you have to take to your actual degree subject. For instance if you take Economics as a straight degree then you must take two Economics courses and then one Minor of your choice. However there are some subjects like Politics which if you were to take as a straight degree would mean you only have to take one Politics course and then two Minor's of your choice.

So it really depends on the course itself.

thanks for the info.

are there any books that you can recommend that i read before starting or anything that I can do?
areusureaboutthat
thanks for the info.

are there any books that you can recommend that i read before starting or anything that I can do?

There is a reading list for POLI 100 which is online, I'll go and find it now. These are pretty much the best books you can get for the course:

Recommended reading

There is no single textbook that covers the variety of themes that we examine on this course. However, students who wish to undertake some preparatory reading before beginning the course could consult the books listed below which are used as text books on the course. We do not expect you to have read all of these before you arrive but they will give you a flavour of the course. We suggest that you start with the book that most catches your interest.
Term One

Wolff, J., An Introduction to Political Philosophy (Oxford University Press, 2006).
Kavanagh, D., British Politics (5th Edition, Oxford University Press, 2006)
Singh, R., American Government and Politics (Sage, 2003)
Term Two

Baylis, J. and Smith, S., The Globalization of world Politics: an Introduction to International Relations (3rd Edition, Oxford University Press, 2005)
Calvocoressi, P., World Politics (8th Edition, Longman, 2001)

Re: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/politics/ugrd/courses/100.htm

And then for Economics:
D. Begg, R. Dornbusch and S. Fischer, Economics 9e, McGraw-Hill.

Re: http://www.lusi.lancs.ac.uk/OnlineCoursesHandbook/ModuleCatalogue/Module.aspx?Course=001819&Year=000108
michaelbenson
There is a reading list for POLI 100 which is online, I'll go and find it now. These are pretty much the best books you can get for the course:

And then for Economics:

Re: http://www.lusi.lancs.ac.uk/OnlineCoursesHandbook/ModuleCatalogue/Module.aspx?Course=001819&Year=000108

thanks so much. im going to order these and start reading.
michaelbenson

And then for Economics:

so I'm about to order these books off amazon and the total is quite steep. do I need all of them?
areusureaboutthat
so I'm about to order these books off amazon and the total is quite steep. do I need all of them?

You can buy them in advance from Amazon, but there are also other options once you get to campus. Normally the on-campus bookstore Waterstones will do a package deal for your course, where you can buy all the necessary books at a slightly discounted price which is a good idea. Or students from the previous year will try and flog you their books at very cheap prices - obviously you don't get a guarantee of good condition, but you won't find them cheaper anywhere else.

Latest

Trending

Trending