The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
quizster
I'm very eager to get going to be honest with you, its been a long time coming. I started my 'Foundation Year' in 2007 and completed that in June 2008 at Durham Uni, but had to take a year out before I could start my degree proper this past academic year. When I did the foundation year, the campus was quite near my home, so I opted to stay at home, however, my degree will be at Durham's main campus, so I will be moving away.

I'm mainly nervous about the academic side of things, having some confidence issues in my own ability and knowledge of my subject matter, even though I passed the foundation year with good marks, I am slightly worried I won't have as much knowledge as the students who have just completed thier A-Levels.

I'm looking forward to moving away, and am nervous about fitting it etc, but I really want this degree more than anything now, so I am really going to try hard and knuckle down, thats not to say I won't make an effort socially, but the academic side is more important to me, although I do plan on joining some societies, things I wouldn't normally go for too.

Yes i know what you mean. I'm a bit worried that other people on the course is going to know more than me but i am also so determined and going to try as hard as i possibly can as i want to end up with a really good result at the end of it. That is more important to me than the social side of things although it would be nice to make a few friends too. I really can't wait to start in September!
Reply 21
Its nice to known people are in the same boat, well, it isn't nice I know, but its reassuring to know I am not the only one. What I keep telling myself and people have told me, is that we have got onto the course, so we must know somethin, plus there is alot of support there to help.

I know for my own course, which is Geography, previous study in that subject matter isn't actually 100% needed, and people have told me that with a degree, while previous knowledge is useful, its not essential.
Reply 22
quizster
Its nice to known people are in the same boat, well, it isn't nice I know, but its reassuring to know I am not the only one. What I keep telling myself and people have told me, is that we have got onto the course, so we must know somethin, plus there is alot of support there to help.

I know for my own course, which is Geography, previous study in that subject matter isn't actually 100% needed, and people have told me that with a degree, while previous knowledge is useful, its not essential.

Yes im doing biology and have just done a years access course in it. I.m now trying to read my way through my biology book to try and keep myself in the know.
Reply 23
seyoung1
Yes im doing biology and have just done a years access course in it. I.m now trying to read my way through my biology book to try and keep myself in the know.

May I ask why you want to study Biology?
Reply 24
yamcha
May I ask why you want to study Biology?

Well basically i went to do an access course to get into uni to do primary teaching. I knew i wanted to teach but there were no subjects i had been good at or enjoyed at school so i thought primary teaching was the answer.

For my access course i had to do English, Maths and Human Biology and after the 2nd week of the human biology i just loved it. I was so interested in the lessons and would go home and spend hours reading up about the topic we were covering, and looking it up on internet, making revision notes etc. So i knew that i wanted to go onto to do a degree in the subject and then do a PGCE to enable me to teach it.

The degree i'm actually going to be doing is Biology with Forensic Biology as I think that will interest me the most. I am just so happy that i had the chance to realise how much i enjoyed the subject and i am going to be studying something that i really want to study.

Why do you ask?

xxx
Owly
At the risk of sounding like a patronising old git :p: the traditional students will be just as nervous. I was completely terrified at the thought of starting a degree, but the other students and the lecturers really made me feel at ease. Good luck to everyone starting this year :smile:

Your right Owly!! I started uni last year and I am positive there was a thread exactly the same as this one then and everyone saying the same stuff!!
Dont worry, everyone is in the same boat and trust me you'll be surprised at how many mature students will be in your year and that you will probably not be the oldest one there. I didnt do the freshers week and getting blind drunk thing, but i havent felt left out.
Enjoy it and take everything in your stride :biggrin:
Reply 26
Glad I made this thread - thanks for the replies 8-)

Hope everyone does well and feels at home with their course :-)
Reply 27
Sologirl
I could have written this myself LOL, I am very worried about being able to compete with students who've just left college - and my course wants AAA/AAB at A Level so they are going to be pretty bright - with studying/learning fresh in their minds. I did pretty dismally in my A Levels (various reasons) and last picked up a pen to write an exam in 2006! :s-smilie: So my brain has had a very long holiday and it's got a hell of a course to contend with when it gets back into it!! :s-smilie:

I was having this conversation today! But don't forget that being older and more mature has it's advantages, and you'll probably appreciate being there (and therefore put in more effort) and be able to cope with the adjustment more readily than those who have come straight from school. I hope so anyway! I take faith in the lovely mature students I've met, and the positive comments I've heard about them from others!
seyoung1
Yes i know what you mean. I'm a bit worried that other people on the course is going to know more than me

I was the same! The subject which i am lacking in most is Research Methods and felt more out my depth when the younger ones were all sat yawning loudly, playing on mobile phones etc, complaining they had already covered 2 years of this at college! (unfortunatley, none of them were willing to help me with a few pointers, when i plucked up courage to ask!)

If you have good background knowledge in research, you should be ok. We only briefed on this at college and because the tutor was off sick for such a long time, he basically told us everything we needed to put in the essay! Fine at the time, as we were given the essay title one week before we had our exams, but seriously, i did not learn anything, if i had, it would make uni life easier.

We did get basic research skills in the first year, but it was in a lecture room with nearly 300 other students, with very uncomfortable seating and someone shouting on a microphone! I no i am going to struggle in my 2nd year. I have been reading a few books on it to try and catch up, but i am rubbish at statistical data!
Reply 29
Just got my (unconditional) offer for accountancy & ecomonics at BCU.
concerned that at 42 I might be more than double the average age...
also as been given direct entry on to year 2 , I guess it will be even harder .
Reply 30
I'm just finding my own nerves really funny! Everyday I'm worried about random stuff, haha. For example, yesterday I was worried about working in groups with teenagers, and today I'm worried wondering if I should use a notebook or not to take notes, because when I studied notebooks didn't exist, so I need to write everything down, but of course, maybe young students are bringing notebooks... etc etc etc.
I'm happy because Napier offers an introductory day for mature students.
People are expecting the freshers week like something awesome, haha, but if I'm honest, I'm just interested on the classes! That's a proof that I'm getting old!!
I am 38 and starting my foundation course on 5th october...I am worried about the fne line between gettig on with the other students and looking desperate to hang out with the 'yoof'.
I don't alwys look my age, but often feel it (mentally if not physically) Good luck everyone!!!
Good luck everyone! I've had the same sort of worries of not knowing as much as the teeny-boppers but I'm going to be studying English so have been reading as much 'classic' literature as I can. My biggest concern is that I am living off campus (my house is about 30 mins away from uni), do you think it'll be a struggle making friends? I have a large group of friends at the moment anyway so don't feel I need anymore 'close' friends but would be nice to get involved in some of the social side. I am planning on joining the uni gym and a couple of the SU clubs do you think this will help?
Reply 33
Hi all

I was in my 40's when I graduated - I remember thinking I was going to be nervous -tbh,once the course started there was no time for being nervous - way tooooo busy getting the books you need, finding where the lecture halls were, sorting grants/student loan stuff out/working out how to use the printers...doh! Finding the student union for cheap food/beer!
Anyway - just go and enjoy - it will be like a whirl wind.

Deb
Reply 34
GreenersofBrackers
Good luck everyone! I've had the same sort of worries of not knowing as much as the teeny-boppers but I'm going to be studying English so have been reading as much 'classic' literature as I can. My biggest concern is that I am living off campus (my house is about 30 mins away from uni), do you think it'll be a struggle making friends? I have a large group of friends at the moment anyway so don't feel I need anymore 'close' friends but would be nice to get involved in some of the social side. I am planning on joining the uni gym and a couple of the SU clubs do you think this will help?

Wow I am in a very similar situation...

I think the best thing to do is: just be yourself.

At the end of the day, there will be ppl at uni that you will naturally gel with and others you won't ( just like at work?)...
Reply 35
Dropdeadfred2
I am 38 and starting my foundation course on 5th october...I am worried about the fne line between gettig on with the other students and looking desperate to hang out with the 'yoof'.
I don't alwys look my age, but often feel it (mentally if not physically) Good luck everyone!!!

I've just finished a FY myself. It's certainly a trial by fire if you've been out of it for a while.

I think if you're an older guy then it's important to get involved more in a physical sense - sport, gym etc. It just gives off a lot of positive vibes. So like you said, that's getting involved without the "lets go out and get hammered" nonsense. By all means go out boozing, just don't get trashed. Be the guy who helps people get home, not the one being helped.

You're going to be judged, no doubt about that, but it can be in a positive or negative light. Don't try and be 18 again or you'll risk pity and disdain from lecturers and serious students.

You don't need the respect of losers, you need the respect of good students who are serious about doing well - the ones you'll want to group with and study with over the years to help you get decent marks.

Exude the kind of qualities people look up to and you'll be fine. Show 'em what being a man is all about without taking yourself too seriously.
Reply 36
sallen
I've just finished a FY myself. It's certainly a trial by fire if you've been out of it for a while.

I think if you're an older guy then it's important to get involved more in a physical sense - sport, gym etc. It just gives off a lot of positive vibes. So like you said, that's getting involved without the "lets go out and get hammered" nonsense. By all means go out boozing, just don't get trashed. Be the guy who helps people get home, not the one being helped.

You're going to be judged, no doubt about that, but it can be in a positive or negative light. Don't try and be 18 again or you'll risk pity and disdain from lecturers and serious students.

You don't need the respect of losers, you need the respect of good students who are serious about doing well - the ones you'll want to group with and study with over the years to help you get decent marks.

Exude the kind of qualities people look up to and you'll be fine. Show 'em what being a man is all about without taking yourself too seriously.

++rep :biggrin: well put...
Reply 37
sallen

Yes this sounds like really good advice. Im a mature student although i'm only actually 25 and look really young. But i like your advice on not respecting losers and respecting the good students. Im definitely going to be a very hardworking student and would rather make friends with other students like this than try to be in the 'cool' gang with the students who are more interested in going out drinking all the time.

I know this advice wasn't directed at me but thanks anyway!
Reply 38
seyoung1
Yes this sounds like really good advice. Im a mature student although i'm only actually 25 and look really young. But i like your advice on not respecting losers and respecting the good students. Im definitely going to be a very hardworking student and would rather make friends with other students like this than try to be in the 'cool' gang with the students who are more interested in going out drinking all the time.

I know this advice wasn't directed at me but thanks anyway!

Congratz on getting your results btw :P
Reply 39
Lawstude
Congratz on getting your results btw :P

Thank you :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending