The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

sd004
Hya everyone.
I’m currently doing my a-levels in bio,chem,maths and r.e I was wondering wheatear r.e is a good subjecccccct for medicine and that sould I carry on with it in A2.
For my GCSE’s got 4 A*’s and 6 A’s and im predicted A*AA for -A2 and my wrk exp is good.
Do u lot think I have a good chance of getting in?
In addition, what uni’s would best suit me in London?
Thanks

R.E is good. U can talk a lot about it in the interview. I was gonna take it but my timetable wouldnt allow me to lol.

I would stay away from kings. Think they use A* GSCEs + UKCAT to decide who to interview. Having said that if u get good ukcat it could compensate for ur gcses.

Someone on TSR said Barts have a 680 cut off last yr (2010 entry) if i rememember but for 2009 it was around 612 ish. So again UKCAT is important.

Try imperial and UCL i dont know what they want

Good luck:smile:
InItToWinItGetIt?
Haha I dropped physics after a month... it was too hard. GCSE physics is sooo much easier lol.

Have u done any ukcat practice. Managed to look at some ques.. timing is so tight!!

I wish I was doing history instead, but I dropped it the other day for A2 and it felt wonderful :p:
I haven't even thought about the UKCAT much tbh, but I had a look at a BMAT paper the other day. I did quite well in section one, but section two was :eek:
What did you think of the questions?
Going_To_California
I wish I was doing history instead, but I dropped it the other day for A2 and it felt wonderful :p:
I haven't even thought about the UKCAT much tbh, but I had a look at a BMAT paper the other day. I did quite well in section one, but section two was :eek:

not even trying to do bmat.. dnt wna apply bmat unis lol

for ukcat i found it a bit hard bcoz of the timing its really tight.. but wasnt too bad for first attempt
Dr.Anne
Do I still have a chance???

My ambition is to be doctor.
For my O levels I got AAAAABCDD
O levels are equilent to GCSE but A* is not awarded!!
Do I still have a chance to which unis can I apply to?

what should I do?

there are some unis which accept students with low GCSE results.
But you will be disadvantaged, so try to get very good results and perform very well in the UKCAT!
InItToWinItGetIt?
not even trying to do bmat.. dnt wna apply bmat unis lol

for ukcat i found it a bit hard bcoz of the timing its really tight.. but wasnt too bad for first attempt

I'm sure you'll improve with more practise, if you felt ok with it on your first time, with revision for it over the summer you'll get more used to the timing!
Going_To_California
I'm sure you'll improve with more practise, if you felt ok with it on your first time, with revision for it over the summer you'll get more used to the timing!

yh hope so. after these june modules i think im gna go ukcat crazy (atleast thats the plan lol)

got most of my personal statement out of the way which is gna help. It's probably early but have u started it or anyone else for that matter?
Going_To_California

I had a quick look at the introductory specimen paper. It was pretty good. Section 1 was ok except for one strange graph/table question which didn't make it clear what it was asking and Section 2 was pretty easy. Only one question stumped me for a bit but once I've revised my science properly I'll be fine. That isn't really GCSE level science though. I don't ever remember covering any of that stuff at GCSE. I'm just lucky I do all the sciences at AS level so most of it was prety easy. The essay question was very strange though. I'm not sure if I could formulate a decent essay on such a random subject. I though it would be healthcare related.
Dr.Anne
Do I still have a chance???

My ambition is to be doctor.
For my O levels I got AAAAABCDD
O levels are equilent to GCSE but A* is not awarded!!
Do I still have a chance to which unis can I apply to?

what should I do?

hey u stand reasonable chance in keele.. i just went to the Royal society of medicine day at keele and there was a Yr 1 guy who got similar gcses to you. he also got 580 odd in his ukcat which is just below average (avg. is around 600).

so dont give up hope! having said that make sure u read minimum requirements on unis websites

good luck!:smile:
InItToWinItGetIt?
yh hope so. after these june modules i think im gna go ukcat crazy (atleast thats the plan lol)

got most of my personal statement out of the way which is gna help. It's probably early but have u started it or anyone else for that matter?

I've written about 10 words, it's a start literally :biggrin: I've no idea how to start it, but hopefully it'll be a little easier when we've actually started it. It's really hard to avoid sounding clichéd :s-smilie:
Going_To_California
I've written about 10 words, it's a start literally :biggrin: I've no idea how to start it, but hopefully it'll be a little easier when we've actually started it. It's really hard to avoid sounding clichéd :s-smilie:

Oh my...you do not need a personal statement now. I started mine on October the 2nd, application was in on the 9th. That's all the Time you need.
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Oh my...you do not need a personal statement now. I started mine on October the 2nd, application was in on the 9th. That's all the Time you need.

I know, I just want to make sure it's the best it can be and I want as much time as possible. Hopefully I'll just be able to add bits as I go along instead of getting to the last minute and panicking.
Also, my college deadline is September for medicine :p:
Going_To_California
I know, I just want to make sure it's the best it can be and I want as much time as possible. Hopefully I'll just be able to add bits as I go along instead of getting to the last minute and panicking.
Also, my college deadline is September for medicine :p:

There is not guarantee it will be better the more time you spend on it.
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
There is not guarantee it will be better the more time you spend on it.

I think (for me personally anyway) that having a longer time period will help, and this way I can get other people's opinions on it too.
Reply 1013
Scrubby
I had a quick look at the introductory specimen paper. It was pretty good. Section 1 was ok except for one strange graph/table question which didn't make it clear what it was asking and Section 2 was pretty easy. Only one question stumped me for a bit but once I've revised my science properly I'll be fine. That isn't really GCSE level science though. I don't ever remember covering any of that stuff at GCSE. I'm just lucky I do all the sciences at AS level so most of it was prety easy. The essay question was very strange though. I'm not sure if I could formulate a decent essay on such a random subject. I though it would be healthcare related.

The BMAT uses content from the sciences as separate GCSEs, if you only did double-award, you'll find there's mainly just a lot of missing biology. Also, Bio/Chem/Phy at AS is practically useless for the BMAT.
Going_To_California
I think (for me personally anyway) that having a longer time period will help, and this way I can get other people's opinions on it too.

Good point there. Plus it leaves u more time for other things.
Some ppl manage to do it in 3 days but I know i wouldnt.
Going_To_California

Ok whatever, you might want to get some grades as well. This thread is just a tad ridiculous, 'I want to be a doctor...' which would be fine if they actually had some real results.
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Ok whatever, you might want to get some grades as well. This thread is just a tad ridiculous, 'I want to be a doctor...' which would be fine if they actually had some real results.

Obviously I'm not going to let it get in the way of revision, I've written one sentence. I agree that the AS grades are the most important thing at this stage.
Noble.
The BMAT uses content from the sciences as separate GCSEs, if you only did double-award, you'll find there's mainly just a lot of missing biology. Also, Bio/Chem/Phy at AS is practically useless for the BMAT.

:biggrin: I see. That would be why then. I did the double award. but all the questions I did are all related to the AS specification I'm doing atm. So pretty useful I think. Especially AS Biology. If it wasn't for that I'd have no idea in which order the blood passes through the heart.
InItToWinItGetIt?
thats what all my friends have been saying. Almost all my mates who want to into medicine have taken physics and kept it! But to be honest, i was going to drop it after A/S anyway so I didnt see any point in carrying on. I think i got 40% in a test which was the final straw lol. Nice to see you engoying it (ur crazy lol) xD

Lol! So what uni's u gonna apply for?
abhijitnair
Lol! So what uni's u gonna apply for?

I don't know lol. It all depends on my UKCAT.

I would prefer manchester but now they rank all the people in terms of the ukcat and call the top 'X' number.. similar to the newcastle system. I have also been looking at Liverpool but if i get good ukcat i'm not gna apply there.

However, i know where i won't apply! lol
Bham - they want 8.5 A*s at GCSE for interview (sent them an email lol)
Bristol - they seem to love GCSEs as well for some reason :confused:

What about you?

Quick Reply