The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Decidious woodland management... know anything about it?!
Reply 2
good case study of a lithosere anyone?got Krakatoa and Iceland, any others?
Reply 3
Woo Edexcel A :biggrin:. (Obviously the best one!)

I havent started ecosystems yet, only just started doing glaciation! :eek:

Will most probably visit here in the near future though! :biggrin:
Reply 4
yeh me 2 il be back for this early half term when hopefully il have sorted glaciation!!
Reply 5
well the exam is on the 14th june, dont leave it too late :eek:
Reply 6
Sam_B
well the exam is on the 14th june, dont leave it too late :eek:

and iv still got all the human to do after the physical :afraid:
Reply 7
sahsum
good case study of a lithosere anyone?got Krakatoa and Iceland, any others?

mallam(sp?) cove in yorkshire... limestone pavement. also a good example of negative management
Reply 8
Ooo ferruginous soils! Yom!
Reply 9
Can we start with the soils and their processes, e.g. feralitisation, leaching etc?
Reply 10
Strumpet
Can we start with the soils and their processes, e.g. feralitisation, leaching etc?

Let's go for it. I need a break from glaciation. The only problem is, I can't actually remember anything about soils...
Reply 11
~Sam~
Let's go for it. I need a break from glaciation. The only problem is, I can't actually remember anything about soils...

Nor can I, but that's why we're doing this :biggrin:
Reply 12
Strumpet
Nor can I, but that's why we're doing this :biggrin:

Good point. I've got some notes here on 'soil formation definitions and details'. It has stuff on leaching, podsolisation, cheluviation, etc. Is that the kind of stuff you're talking about?
Reply 13
~Sam~
Good point. I've got some notes here on 'soil formation definitions and details'. It has stuff on leaching, podsolisation, cheluviation, etc. Is that the kind of stuff you're talking about?

That's the stuff :smile:
Reply 14
Strumpet

lets do a case study of ones we know.

i will do podsols

u can do chernozems ellie, or the one u just said :wink:

so where they are found, the climate they are in, the vegetatioin on them and the characteristics of the soil.
Reply 15
cool. So....where shall we start? Anything you particularly want to know? I can tell I'm going to have to spend a lot of time on this stuff!
Reply 16
I've got stuff on Redzina's (an intra-zonal soil case study) if that will help?
Reply 17
I'll do ferruginous! :smile:
Reply 18
Ok, the ferruginous soil is found in savanna ecosystems, which has distinct wet and dry seasons and is sandwiched in latitudes between the tropical rainforest and deserts, 5 degrees-20 degrees N and S of the equator. The top horizon is a thin, dark humus, and some leaching occurs downwards in the wet season. The next horizon is the red layer (Fe and Al sesquioxides, which may cause a lateritic horizon to form), and then there is a silica horizon below that. There is capillary rise in the dry season.

That's all I can remember because I don't have my notes at hand :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Strumpet
I'll do ferruginous! :smile:

Good, cos I've never heard of them! (So it might help if you can explain a bit about what they are? :smile: )

Ok... I dunno how useful this will be, because I don't understand it all myself, but I'll see how it goes.

Redzina: a calcimorphic soil (limestone parent rock). Example: The Chilterns

The dominant vegetation - grasses, herbs and beech woodland. The grasses produce a leaf litter layer which is rich in bases, encouraging high rates of nutrient recycling by micro-organisms.

The A horizon consists of black humus, very nutruient rich. Due to the release of calcium from the parent rock, the PH is between 7-8.

The calcium saturated clays with a blocky structure tend to allow little leaching, therefore there is no 'B' horizon

The parent rock leaves very little insoluble residue when weathered, and together with the permeable nature of the bedrock, you get a very thin soil with little moisture content.

Does that help anyone at all?

Latest

Trending

Trending