The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you earn when your a foundation doctor, something around 23k a year? I'm not an expect, I remember that they used to pay for your accomodation when you were a foundation doctor aswell but this doesn't happen an more.
As a foundation doctor you are employed by a hospital trust. Technically, foundation posts must be approved by the university that you graduate from, but that doesn't actually mean much.

You are paid for your foundation years (so you first pay-cheque will be in the August of the year that you graduate). Current basic salary for an FY1 is £22,190. On top of this, you may be paid extra (known as a "banding supplement") depending on whether you are expected to work antisocial hours. This can be up to 50% (representing an extra £11,095) but most people will not get quite this much.
Reply 3
I swear there is a thread right on this page (or just on the next) called doctors salaries.

A search can go a long way.
Reply 4
Sarky
I swear there is a thread right on this page (or just on the next) called doctors salaries.

A search can go a long way.

LOL - you beat me to it!
Reply 5
Fluffy
LOL - you beat me to it!

Great minds and all that :rolleyes:
Reply 6
the number of 'duplicatey' threads on here is getting silly. Especially as most of them are within a page or two of the front page... :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

There's now yet another "reading list" thread :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:
Reply 7
But what happens when one thread has been made on every topic? There would never be anymore threads!
Reply 8
But it's sheer lazyness when there is one one the first page with EXACTLY the same info in it...
Is it just my impression, or are the pre-freshers getting worse?
They've always been bad, but it seems fewer people are willing to do proper research by themselves. It'd be a start if they just took notice of the search function.
Becca-Sarah

I'm sure the OP isn't as bad as we think, but I agree the thought had crossed my mind about some of the pre freshers.
So what is the average FY1 salary :beard:
Toiletpaper8
So what is the average FY1 salary :beard:

Currently, it's reported as £31,066 (which is everyone on 1.4 banding for the entire year). However, as of 2 weeks from now, when the new lot start, there is going to be a much greater amount of variability in banding, with many new F1s having 1 or 2 unbanded rotations, so it is expected that the figure will fall significantly. Also remember the removal of free accommodation last year, which is claimed to represent a 40% cut.
Spencer Wells
Currently, it's reported as £31,066 (which is everyone on 1.4 banding for the entire year). However, as of 2 weeks from now, when the new lot start, there is going to be a much greater amount of variability in banding, with many new F1s having 1 or 2 unbanded rotations, so it is expected that the figure will fall significantly. Also remember the removal of free accommodation last year, which is claimed to represent a 40% cut.

Say what? I thought hospitals have to provide FY1/2s with accommodation... and also, this whole banding thing, is everyone randomly allocated a band or summit?
The statutory requirement for free accommodation was removed last year. A few trusts still provide free accommodation, but most charge, and some don't offer any at all. F2s and above are not entitled to free accommodation and haven't been for a long time.

Banding is allocated depending on how intensive and anti-social the hours are. Your basic salary covers 40 hours a week. You're legally allowed to work an extra 8. If these 8 are after hours or weekends, you get a banding supplement. F1s are required to log their hours over 1 week every six months, and this information is used to calculate what banding the job attracts.
When you apply for F1 posts (after being allocated to a deanery) you do not know what the banding is. You are told after you have been allocated a rotation.
Reply 16
Becca-Sarah

I've been thinking this too :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Sarky
I've been thinking this too :rolleyes:
Rather oddly, medicine seems to not be suffering as much as TSR as a whole.
Reply 18
Renal
Rather oddly, medicine seems to not be suffering as much as TSR as a whole.

You seem to be mellowing in your old age. Who are you and what have you done with the real renal? :eek:
Reply 19
Sarky
You seem to be mellowing in your old age. Who are you and what have you done with the real renal? :eek:
I've just moved my anger to any thread involving Swine 'Flu. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending