The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

surely thats something to see your doctor about!
could be some strange problem with your ovaries maybe. or some forms of contraception can screw them up
Reply 2
A medical problem? Potentially dangerous? Quick! To the internet!
Reply 3
I don't think it's normal, perhaps you want to see a doctor?
Reply 4
As a non-dickish response, I'd suggest going to your GP just to be sure. It's probably nothing (I'm not a girl so I don't know, but from what I hear some people naturally have odd period timing) but it's always best to be safe
Reply 5
That sounds pretty serious :s-smilie:

Saying that though, I suffer from terrible period pain so I sort of wish I had them that infrequently!
Reply 6
Kinsula

To be fair to the OP it doesn't sound very urgent.
(and it's not nice to mock people who want advice :sigh:)
Reply 7
As people have already advised this is something you should definitely go and see your GP about... its best to get whatever problem you may have sorted as soon as possible... but irregular periods are nothing new
Reply 8
Psyche05
To be fair to the OP it doesn't sound very urgent.
(and it's not nice to mock people who want advice :sigh:)

Yeah fair enough >:
Reply 9
I would definitely recommend you go to your doctor.
It can take a while for periods to settle down when you first start but 5 years is much too long.
Don't stress about it, it might not be serious but you definitely want to get it checked out, could be any number of things.
^_^
Reply 10
I'd say you're likely to be perfectly normal, girls can have irregular periods for years before eventually settling into a pattern.

Standard H&R advice applies though, see your GP if you're worried.
Reply 11
Im not on any contraception that would stop them.
Reply 12
Kinsula

I LOL'd
Reply 13
If you are worried you should see your doctor just to be sure.
Lady_KaKa
That sounds pretty serious :s-smilie:

Saying that though, I suffer from terrible period pain so I sort of wish I had them that infrequently!

Go on the pill, you only have to have 4 a year then, once every 3 months. Although if you go for 6 a year it's less likely to cause breakthrough bleeding :yes:
get yourself checked out for PCOS. I had the same, only a few perioids a year, and PCOS was causing it :smile:
As a medical student I would suspect hormonal imbalance; and it is definately worth going to see your GP about this. Hormonal imbalance - especially lutinising hormone and follicle stimulating hormone, can have a dire consequence on your growth and development (especially you are 17)... see your GP and get it checked out! We can't give you a diagnosis over the internet!
I'm the opposite as you as I have a period every 2 weeks, just wanted to ask if anyone here know what pill was best to go on to stop them happening as I can't carry on having this many periods, it's tiring me out.
to anonymous #2

go to the docs and they'll help you. my friend is exactly the same with periods every 2-3 weeks. she's also very aneamic, so i'd get that checked out too.
Reply 19
Don't be too embarrassed to see your GP about this. 5 years sounds like a long time for your periods to settle down. Mine have been monthly since about the third period (which was about 4 years ago) which I know is quite unusual but I don't know anyone who's been irregular for longer than a year or so.

Latest