The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I made this for lunch a few days ago.

Ingredients:

250g of Cous cous as per instructions
(usually just add boiling water, cover and leave for 5 mins)

A handful of Black Olives

A few Sundried tomatoes in Olive Oil

Juice of 1/2 Lemon

1/2 Chopped Red Onion

A handful of Chopped Cherry Tomatoes

1/3 Diced Cucumber

Cilantro/Corriander to garnish

Salt/Pepper to taste

Instructions:

Mix all of the above ingredients together when the cous cous has cooled and voila!

http://www.foodiesite.com/images/2000-08/couscous.jpg
Reply 141
200g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking bowder
100g caster sugar
150ml of yogurt (I tend to use the live-yougurt)
5 tbs sunflower oil
1 tsp vanilla essence

# Dry and Wet Method
# Cake Tins: two 18cm (7@) round sandwich tins, greased and floured
# Oven temp: 180 (350F/ Gas Mark 4)

Sift flour, baking powder and sugar together.
In a seperate bowl, combine the yoghurt, oil and vanilla essence (you an use an electric whisk).
Mix both wet and dry mixtures together for about 2 mins.
Bake for 20mins.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10mins.
Turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
Let it cool ompletely before filling.

My mum made one awhile ago - she added cocoa powder to make it chocolately and mixed double cream and cherries together for the filling - yum!
Reply 142
For the Topping:

1/2 Sliced Large Avocado
A handful of Chopped Spring Onions
Slightly Toasted and Chopped Cashew Nuts
A glug of Olive Oil
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Recipe:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and leave to marinate.

Meanwhile toast some granary or wholemeal bread. Put some crip lettuce leaves on top and then spoon over the avocado topping and enjoy!

This makes a quick and easy lunch - even I can make it!
Reply 143
Hehe, do you like to cook a lot? I like cooking, especially deserts, like lemon pie. Has anyone tried it? It's really good.
Reply 144
I like food - and watching food programmes - and helping with cooking - but I'm not that confident in my own skills. I think I prefer to cook with others.

... Besides my mum thinks its about time that I learnt to cook Indian Food ...
Reply 145
Did make some delicious mexican bean burgers with my dad (he doesn't usually help out!) for lunch today - I did all the drudgery stuff - chopping, getting ingredients all ready, washing up etc. And he did the mixing and making burger shapes..oh and he found the recipe online.

I may post it up here in fact as it tasted quite good. Oh and its suitable for vegans.
Reply 146
Hey, I just found this! I would love to be an honourary member. I do eat meat but not very much, I have always enjoyed vegetables and veggie food as one of my close friends is a veggie.
Reply 147
I made some biscuits today! yum...pity I'm on this stoopid diet!
~MOi~
...keeps the dentist away! haha

apple are really bad for your teeth also... lol

lots of sugar...
Reply 149
Anyone have any good ideas of HEALTHY fillings to go with ciabata bread? Thanks :smile:
Reply 150
Brown Eyed Girl
apple are really bad for your teeth also... lol

lots of sugar...

:frown: pity...
but it does clean your teeth :biggrin:

at the same time sugarfy's them...

i learn to much whilst doing food... :: runs away from all e numbers::
Reply 152
Me too! I'm constantly watching tv cook shows, cooking, making and creating new recipies, reading the backs of packets (nutritional information and ingredients list), and working in the student union café doesn't help!
Reply 153
sneezyme
Anyone have any good ideas of HEALTHY fillings to go with ciabata bread? Thanks :smile:

Not sure if this is really healthy fliining but:

Avocado, tomato, mozzarella and basil in an olive oil and lemon dressing and spinkled with toasted pine nuts ...mmmm
Reply 154
Can I join please?! I've been veggie for about three years. The only time its been hard was when trying to eat out in Italy....they just don't understand why anyone would want to not eat meat! I had to eat a lot of plain pasta there.
Reply 155
Falguni
Not sure if this is really healthy fliining but:

Avocado, tomato, mozzarella and basil in an olive oil and lemon dressing and spinkled with toasted pine nuts ...mmmm

oh....my.....god.....DIVINE!
Ooh tomorrow is the first day of "Fish are friends, not food" week. I don't really know the aim of it- maybe to show the vegetarians who don't eat meat for ethical reasons but still have fish that fish are animals to? Anyway, any excuse to celebrate....x
I'm veggie, can i join please?

Lol there's a week for everything now, although i'm liking using a Finding Nemo quote.
Reply 158
We made a delicious pizza for lunch yesterday and I thought I'd tell you about it:

Pizza base - either buy one or make it yourself (like we did), using bread flour (it comes with the yeast already in it and stuff), olive oil and water. You can leave it to prove but I like mine thing and crispy so I just rolled it out onto a baking tray.

Tomato Sauce - olive oil in a pan, then add some asafoedita powder (or you can add chopped onion). Next add a can of chopped tomatoes, some sundried tomato past, salt, sugar and pepper. Leave to thinken.

Pesto sauce - lots and lots of basil leaves, olive oil, toasted pine nuts, a clove of garlic, a squirt of lemon and salt. You can either pound it all togther with a pestle and mortor for a rustic look, or whizz it with a food proccessor.

(we have an amazing array of pots in our conservatory all filled with basil plants - my mum loves basil and so planted some a month ago and if we don't use some of them soon i'm sure that they will take over the room and there will be no space for us. She freaked me out a while ago because she was talking to them *okay i KNOW she was just fooling around, but it was quite surreal*)

Toppings - I had mozzarella cheese, black olives, fresh cherry tomatoes and a bit of sundried tomato.

Assembly - Now spread the tomato sauce over the base (not too much though), drizzle over the pesto sauce, add the olives and the sundried tomatoes and place into a pre-heated oven (I think about 180C) for about 8 minutes. Towards the end add some fresh cerry tomatoes and the mozzarella cheese .... oh and some more basil leaves.

Enjoy!
Reply 159
wow. that sounds fantabulous, WELL DONE-rep for that!

Quick Reply

Latest