The Student Room Group

GCSE Btec Pass/Merit/Distinction Equivalent Grades?

Some of the subjects I am studying at GCSE next year are Btec, and they use the Pass/Merit/Distinction marks.

But what is the actual equivalents as grades?

I've heard that (at gcse) its:

Pass: C
Merit: B
Distinction: A*

But I've also heard people saying its this:

Distinction: A

Could someone just clear up what they actually are?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Or is it totally different to what I posted?
Distinction could be either A/A* - I don't think there's a really an exact equivalent tbh. But I dunno, that's me just guessing. A s'pose a high Distinction would be an A* but they never really look at the actual marks so :dontknow:
Reply 3
anisha.doshi
Distinction could be either A/A* - I don't think there's a really an exact equivalent tbh. But I dunno, that's me just guessing. A s'pose a high Distinction would be an A* but they never really look at the actual marks so :dontknow:

Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Thanks
Reply 4
joshphillips999
Some of the subjects I am studying at GCSE next year are Btec, and they use the Pass/Merit/Distinction marks.

Thanks.

If it's a btec then it's:
Pass - C
Merit - B
Distinction - A

If it's btec as in DiDA (ICT) it's:
Pass - C
Merit - B
Credit - A
Distinction - A*
Reply 5
You can get Distinction* you know, which is equiv to A*
anisha.doshi

This. Higher distinctions can get A* AFAIK.
there is an exact equivalent:
Pass C
Credit B
Merit A
Distinction A*
Reply 8
In BTEC ICT you have to complete 3 units of coursework..
Each coursework has 3 criteria's a Pass,Merit and distinction.

If All pass criteria's are completed to a good standard you will get a C grade.
If All Merit criterias are completed aswell as all of the pass's you will get a B Grade.
To achieve an A Grade you will have to complete all pass and merit criterias and at least one distinction in one of the units and to make your grade to a A* you will have to complete all pass,merit and distinction in all 3 units. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Bulbasaur

Thanks.

Part of the confusion is that BTECs have been revamped and the grading has changed slightly. Only people who started courses from September 2010 will have the new grading system, older students may give you duff advice.

Firstly having scanned through a few other posts, DIDA is not BTEC and never has been. It has different grading and just confuses the issue.

For the new QCF BTECs, you can get Pass, Merit or Distinction on individual units, but for your overall grade you can also get a Distinction*. The official grade equivalences for a QCF Level 2 BTEC First are:
Distinction* - A* at GCSE
Distinction - A
Merit - B
Pass - C

Surprisingly, you don't have to get (e.g.) an average of a merit to achieve a merit overall - more merits than passes will generally do it, though it does depend on the size of the different units.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Bulbasaur

Thanks.

While people say that they're equivalents, they're most certainly not. Universities don't class them as equal to GCSEs (or A-levels for that matter), because they're fundamentally easier and you get more 'equivalent grades' than someone doing the core subjects separately as proper GCSE exams.

However - to those who earn them, they may mean something. It really depends upon how well you think you did personally, but as I said, it doesn't matter anyway, any sort of 'equivalent qualification' is not 'equivalent', because its a damn sight easier and a whole different system. Why else would people choose BTECs over GCSEs apart from the fact that they're easier?
Reply 11
BTEC grades:

Pass - C
Merit - B
Distinction - A
Distinction* - A*
Reply 12
Because some people didn't have an option. It may be a bit easier, If you are dyslexic, and it never got noticed at school and the options are btec, functional skills you are going to do it. Some people don't have a choice or option smart arse.
pass=c
merit=b
distinction=a

but you can get a distinction star=a*

confusing right
Original post by jess2007
Because some people didn't have an option. It may be a bit easier, If you are dyslexic, and it never got noticed at school and the options are btec, functional skills you are going to do it. Some people don't have a choice or option smart arse.

I have several friends who are dyslexic. They are doing GCSEs and are predicted mainly A*s in it. So, from my experience, being dyslexic shouldn't stop you from doing GCSEs. Plus you get 25% extra time in the exams.
And seriously, you don't have to be smart to do GCSEs. At all. You just need to have a fairly decent memory.
Reply 15
I swear it's
Pass- C
Merit- B
Distinction- A
Distinction*- A*

I think a GCSE student or a teacher told me that
Distinction is equivalent to an A* -A
Merit is equivalent to an B -C
Pass is equivalent to an D-G
Reply 17
What does a p2 stand for
You need to research your information a bit better on a level three extended diploma for two years is the equivalent to three A levels especially in applied science and forensics the only two university's that won't except on this course completion are Oxford and Cambridge. I'd like to see you complete two years of forensics and then come back and tell people it's easier. A girl on my daughters course has been excepted one in 49 in the world to the royal vet collage on a scolorship early .
It's equivalent to 280 u c a s point if passed at distinction grade at end of year this can get you on to many courses at university 😊

Latest