Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE Btec Pass/Merit/Distinction Equivalent Grades?

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the subjects I am studying at GCSE next year are Btec, and they use the Pass/Merit/Distinction marks.

But what is the actual equivalents as grades?

I've heard that (at gcse) its:

Pass: C
    Merit: B
    Distinction: A*

But I've also heard people saying its this:

Distinction: A

Could someone just clear up what they actually are?

Thanks.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or is it totally different to what I posted?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Distinction could be either A/A* - I don't think there's a really an exact equivalent tbh. But I dunno, that's me just guessing. A s'pose a high Distinction would be an A* but they never really look at the actual marks so :dontknow:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    Distinction could be either A/A* - I don't think there's a really an exact equivalent tbh. But I dunno, that's me just guessing. A s'pose a high Distinction would be an A* but they never really look at the actual marks so :dontknow:
    Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Thanks
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    Some of the subjects I am studying at GCSE next year are Btec, and they use the Pass/Merit/Distinction marks.

Thanks.
    If it's a btec then it's:
    Pass - C
    Merit - B
    Distinction - A

If it's btec as in DiDA (ICT) it's:
    Pass - C
    Merit - B
    Credit - A
    Distinction - A*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get Distinction* you know, which is equiv to A*
    • 98 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    This. Higher distinctions can get A* AFAIK.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there is an exact equivalent:
    Pass C
    Credit B
    Merit A
    Distinction A*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In BTEC ICT you have to complete 3 units of coursework..
    Each coursework has 3 criteria's a Pass,Merit and distinction.

If All pass criteria's are completed to a good standard you will get a C grade.
    If All Merit criterias are completed aswell as all of the pass's you will get a B Grade.
    To achieve an A Grade you will have to complete all pass and merit criterias and at least one distinction in one of the units and to make your grade to a A* you will have to complete all pass,merit and distinction in all 3 units.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)

Thanks.
    Part of the confusion is that BTECs have been revamped and the grading has changed slightly. Only people who started courses from September 2010 will have the new grading system, older students may give you duff advice.

Firstly having scanned through a few other posts, DIDA is not BTEC and never has been. It has different grading and just confuses the issue.

For the new QCF BTECs, you can get Pass, Merit or Distinction on individual units, but for your overall grade you can also get a Distinction*. The official grade equivalences for a QCF Level 2 BTEC First are:
    Distinction* - A* at GCSE
    Distinction - A
    Merit - B
    Pass - C

Surprisingly, you don't have to get (e.g.) an average of a merit to achieve a merit overall - more merits than passes will generally do it, though it does depend on the size of the different units.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)

Thanks.
    While people say that they're equivalents, they're most certainly not. Universities don't class them as equal to GCSEs (or A-levels for that matter), because they're fundamentally easier and you get more 'equivalent grades' than someone doing the core subjects separately as proper GCSE exams.

However - to those who earn them, they may mean something. It really depends upon how well you think you did personally, but as I said, it doesn't matter anyway, any sort of 'equivalent qualification' is not 'equivalent', because its a damn sight easier and a whole different system. Why else would people choose BTECs over GCSEs apart from the fact that they're easier?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    BTEC grades:

Pass - C
    Merit - B
    Distinction - A
    Distinction* - A*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because some people didn't have an option. It may be a bit easier, If you are dyslexic, and it never got noticed at school and the options are btec, functional skills you are going to do it. Some people don't have a choice or option smart arse.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    pass=c
    merit=b
    distinction=a

but you can get a distinction star=a*

confusing right
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess2007)
    Because some people didn't have an option. It may be a bit easier, If you are dyslexic, and it never got noticed at school and the options are btec, functional skills you are going to do it. Some people don't have a choice or option smart arse.
    I have several friends who are dyslexic. They are doing GCSEs and are predicted mainly A*s in it. So, from my experience, being dyslexic shouldn't stop you from doing GCSEs. Plus you get 25% extra time in the exams.
    And seriously, you don't have to be smart to do GCSEs. At all. You just need to have a fairly decent memory.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I swear it's
    Pass- C
    Merit- B
    Distinction- A
    Distinction*- A*

I think a GCSE student or a teacher told me that

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 3, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.