Level 1 Merit = Grade E
Level 1 Distinction = Grade D
Level 2 Pass = Grade C
Level 2 Merit = Grade B
Level 2 Distinction = Grade A
Level 2 Distincton* = Grade A*

I hope this helps.
(edited 8 years ago)
I received a double grade distinction merit, does anyone know what this means?
Reply 42
My daughter has just been refused entry to college based on these Btec level 2 courses as they do not recognise them as an equivalent to GCSE, she had 3 BTEC all at a pass, which as we all thought they should equate to 3 GCSE, even the school states this, but in reality they are not worth the paper they are written on, anyone considering doing a BTEC dont bother.
Reply 43
Original post by rhian69
My daughter has just been refused entry to college based on these Btec level 2 courses as they do not recognise them as an equivalent to GCSE, she had 3 BTEC all at a pass, which as we all thought they should equate to 3 GCSE, even the school states this, but in reality they are not worth the paper they are written on, anyone considering doing a BTEC dont bother.

Not quite true, a BTEC Level 2(GCSE level) can get you onto a BTEC Level 3(A level) and BTEC Level 3 can get you into a top university as it is worth A levels

I didnt do the level 2 BTEC but with my level 3 BTEC i got all five university offers, the university i chose to go to was ranked 12th in the UK when i applied, so i disagree that they are 'not worth the paper they are written on'
Reply 44
Original post by rhian69

Not quite true, a BTEC Level 2(GCSE level) can get you onto a BTEC Level 3(A level) and BTEC Level 3 can get you into a top university as it is worth A levels

I didnt do the level 2 BTEC but with my level 3 BTEC i got all five university offers, the university i chose to go to was ranked 12th in the UK when i applied, so i disagree that they are 'not worth the paper they are written on'
Reply 45
does anyone know what a P2 grade is worth in Btec business in terms of GCSE equivalent??
Pass = C
Merit = B
Distinction = A
Distinction Star (*) = A*
Reply 47
Original post by xander93
While people say that they're equivalents, they're most certainly not. Universities don't class them as equal to GCSEs (or A-levels for that matter), because they're fundamentally easier and you get more 'equivalent grades' than someone doing the core subjects separately as proper GCSE exams.

However - to those who earn them, they may mean something. It really depends upon how well you think you did personally, but as I said, it doesn't matter anyway, any sort of 'equivalent qualification' is not 'equivalent', because its a damn sight easier and a whole different system. Why else would people choose BTECs over GCSEs apart from the fact that they're easier?

yes defiantly at A-level they are equivalent! I do 3 A-levels (chemistry, maths, psychology) and btec business. The business is just as time consuming and hard- the main difference is btecs the information is not handed to you and you have to research. whilst A-levels you have to have a good memory.

Unis like btecs, especially if it is with A-levels as it shows that not only can you regurgitate information you can go out and do your own research.
A Distinction* is worth 140 points just like an A* which shows it is graded equivalently.

there was a comment made about they are good for people with dyslexia. I am dyslexic and qualify for 25% extra time and a reader and computer use and therefore I don't find the exams of the A-levels significantly harder.
Reply 48
what is the specific deadline for all merit and distinctions work for btec level 3 qualifications. who actually confirms your grades?
Original post by Sam.sw
what is the specific deadline for all merit and distinctions work for btec level 3 qualifications. who actually confirms your grades?

I think it depends on your school/college, mine was 24th June, but my friend goes to a different college and hers was 1st July
Reply 50
What is a D1 in business and enterprise GCSE?
Reply 51
Original post by Bulbasaur
Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Thanks

Hello as part of my gcse repeats i have done a btec in level 2 personal finance and it says grade s what does this mean, please someone , i'm at college ?
I got my results back only to find out they gave me the wrong unit which made me gain an extra 40 points. Im suppose to have 700 but i have 740. Should i tell someone?
Reply 53
Level 1 pass f
level 1 merit e
Level 1 Distinction d
Level 2 pass c
Level 2 merit b
Level 2 Distinction a
Level 2 Distinction* a*
Level 2 Distinction** a**
I teach I.T
While some people say they're equivalent the Government has confirmed that they are:
https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels
Reply 55
A distinction is an A but a distinction* is an A*
What does a * mean as a grade in a college exam
Distinction* ?
Reply 58
what does p1 stand for
Original post by suzylemonade
I have several friends who are dyslexic. They are doing GCSEs and are predicted mainly A*s in it. So, from my experience, being dyslexic shouldn't stop you from doing GCSEs. Plus you get 25% extra time in the exams.
And seriously, you don't have to be smart to do GCSEs. At all. You just need to have a fairly decent memory.

Dyslexia doesn't change how smart you are.

Latest