The Student Room Group

How to apply to postgraduate course in Australia...?

Hi, I currently study economics in the UK...am about to start my 3rd and last year...I want to do a masters of economics (coursework) in Australia...Now I've looked around and started applying already, but I don't really understand on what criteria they base their admissions on. I mean, in the application form all they ask for is contact etc and tertiary grades with evidence attached. No employment history if the course doesn't specify it (which it doesn't), no referee's...no personal statement or letter of motivation(for most of them that is) Only for UWA do they ask for a statement, and there they only ask why you want to study in australia and what I expect to gain :confused: , not why I am the perfect candidate or what I can contribute...I mean I've been doing a lot of volunteering and involved myself in the university with leadership positions JUST to make myself more marketable for uni's...and now I can't show it off? Am I missing something? Or are they just looking for the money I'll pay as an international student? :confused:
How in the world will they be able to set me apart from others applying to the same course? Grades only? I mean there is the minimum requirement and I have that, but I would like to think that its not the only thing that counts ... what if others have perfect grades? God damn you aussies :p: :biggrin:

Oh and sorry for the rant, I'm just so frustrated...I would really appreciate some information on the admissions procedure in AU and perhaps some explanation on how to apply?

Cheers
Reply 1
I reckon they are just looking for affluent international students. The overall admission is really easy and lenient, No personal statement ( for most of the postgraduate courses), No referees ( unless you are doing a research degree, or applying for scholarships) and no CV required (but you could still tag along with your application). Just apply directly to the individual universities, some might ask you to attach your transcripts and some might ask you to mail it to them.
Reply 2
Uni of Melb requires "A personal statement, of no more than 800 words, that describes your personal motivation to study the Master of Commerce (Economics). The statement can include details of your personal circumstances as well as your life and work experiences."
http://coursesearch.unimelb.edu.au/coursedetail.aspx?cid=824&er=1&ctype=4
Hi,
I am in a very similiar situation.
Want to study in Australia but barely can find information.
Which unies you are considering?
What about career prospects after ANU, Sydney, Melbourne?
Are they well known in Europe?

What about Hong Kong Uni is it better compared with Australian Unies?
As far as I know it is best in Asia.

It is so hard to get proper info..

Thanks
Reply 4
Hi, I'm also in a very similar situation wanting to do a masters course in Australia. I've looked at http://www.studyoptions.com they seem pretty helpful, I've got them to send the prospectuses of Sydney and Melbourne unis and they were willing to arrange a meet up with a rep from Melbourne in London. Not entirely sure of the sites motives though, has anyone else used them?

It seems very strange about the lack of information you have to give when you apply, but haven't been able to find out any more info on that. Also, do you gain exactly the same qualification if you do a masters by research than by coursework?
Thanks
Hiya just another question regarding this thread, is a Masters by coursework just the same as our Taught Masters courses?
Reply 6
BronsonChopper
are they just looking for the money I'll pay as an international student? :confused:

Australian universities are not very good.
As an international student, you essentially buy your degree over there.
If you can pay the fees, you will get in. They are really a legalised diploma mill.
Reply 7
Just want to give a heads-up to anyone planning to study a coursework (taught) course. Beware of doing group assignments with students with poor English because their written English is just beyond appalling. Some of them can hardly write a proper sentence, meaning there are multiple errors in nearly every single sentence of their essays.

You may even have to end up rewriting what they have written. The following personal example is not a joke. My friend and I did an assignment with such a coursemate and when we read what she had written for her part of the assignment, we were shocked to find that her writing did not flow at all and made very little sense. However, I do think that she actually tried her best, and it was not because she was lazy. It was her language that was the problem.

My friend did end up having to rewrite it. Not fun!
Reply 8
mml
Just want to give a heads-up to anyone planning to study a coursework (taught) course. Beware of doing group assignments with students with poor English because their written English is just beyond appalling. Some of them can hardly write a proper sentence, meaning there are multiple errors in nearly every single sentence of their essays.

The good news is that even if your English and academic skills are this bad, Australian universities will still accept you. They really, really, really want your money.:woo: :woo:
Reply 9
And then after my friend had rewritten what she had written, she actually got mad at my friend for erasing all her hard work! But I guess it's not really her fault that the uni accepted her and gave her a place on the course.

Well we ended getting a good mark on the assignment, but that was basically due to the extra work (re-doing her part) that my friend and I put in. Yeah so my point is: be prepared for this...
Oh, and dont go to Australia if you are not a Caucasian.
They try to beat you to death.
Racial attacks on foreign students is very common there.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/world/indians-abroad/Victorian-Police-launches-probe-into-racial-attack-on-Indians-/articleshow/5016859.cms
Australia is where academics go when they can't get work lecturing in their own countries, the universities are sub standard as a result!
Reply 12
who know which University at Australia is good for postgraduate engineering course?.

Latest

Trending

Trending