The Student Room Group

Electrical/Electronic Engineering work experience?

Hey guys

Just finished my AS' and am thinking how many people actually managed to get WE for electrical engineering or electronic? I tried like in february and april and companies just didn't seem to be interested... I was quite annoyed and I feel my personal statement is going to sound a bit naff.

So what about the rest of you guys? Any decent electronic/electrical engineering related work experience?

And also where are u applying next year
Reply 1
you dont need work experience unless you are applying for really competitive courses like medicine or vetinary
Reply 2
Higgy90
you dont need work experience unless you are applying for really competitive courses like medicine or vetinary

What about those YINI placements? I thought quite a few Universities liked applicants to defer/apply after A-Levels, so they can get some kind of placement?
Reply 3
sasjegbruv123
Hey guys

Just finished my AS' and am thinking how many people actually managed to get WE for electrical engineering or electronic? I tried like in february and april and companies just didn't seem to be interested... I was quite annoyed and I feel my personal statement is going to sound a bit naff.

So what about the rest of you guys? Any decent electronic/electrical engineering related work experience?

And also where are u applying next year

You wouldn't need any work experience I think, just fill your PS with what has driven you to choose the subject. If you have some previous tinkering experience with electronics mention that.

I didnt have any work experience, and I dont think a majority of my peers at Imperial had got any either.
Reply 4
You will struggle to get work experience at the moment as companies are less willing to take on additional staff, what places there are will likely be taken up by students that have already begun studying for their degree. So unless you know someone that happens to work for a company you are interested in working for you are unlikely to get a placement.

As other people have said there is no requirement to have work experience in order to apply for electrical and electronic engineering - in fact if you did get some you would probably be the only person with it. I would recommend holding off looking for related work experience until after you have started your degree. In the mean time simply showing that you can hold down a job will improve your CV and therefore your chances of getting a placement later on.
Reply 5
Noble.
What about those YINI placements? I thought quite a few Universities liked applicants to defer/apply after A-Levels, so they can get some kind of placement?

sure, but its not needed.
Go for it, if only for the money. You will struggle to find work in R&D or such, I suggest you look for manufacturing or test engineering jobs.

I spend my summer pre-university assembling high-voltage power supplies. It's fairly mundane work but good experience and gives you first-hand experience of the production environment, nice for your CV as few graduates can make that claim.

Mind you, that wasn't in today's economy, a fair few years ago now. But best of luck.
Reply 7
You won't need WE to get into uni, but you will certainly need to do a couple summer placements/a placement year before you graduate.
Reply 8
I got into every university I applied to with absolutely no work experience, relevant or not!
Reply 9
Original post by jackbourne
I got into every university I applied to with absolutely no work experience, relevant or not!

what universities did you apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending