University of York
York
Reply 1
What advise would you give? :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Sunshine and doodles
I just graduated last Friday. Going back to York was sadder than I thought it would be. I just thought, what will you all miss? Is there anything that you would advise people going to York for undergrad to do/experience while they are there?

I'll miss Efes. :frown:
humder
What advise would you give? :smile:

There's lots of stuff I didn't get around to doing while I was there, stuff that everybody else did and I just... didn't. I'm not 100% sure why.

I'd say do all the clubs at some point. There's only a few in York but I regret not visiting them all.

I too will miss efes! I lived nearly opposite, and visited far too regularly, as my waistline will testify :p:

Try as many cocktails as you can in Evil Eye - but not all in one night of course.

Go to Woodstock (the annual on campus music festival) and not just for the music. The other societies put on awesome displays too, particularly the Wasps (cheerleaders) Pole Exercise Soc and The Shambles (improvised comedy team).

Yeah. That's What I would suggest people should do :yes:
Reply 4
Sunshine and doodles
There's lots of stuff I didn't get around to doing while I was there, stuff that everybody else did and I just... didn't. I'm not 100% sure why.

I'd say do all the clubs at some point. There's only a few in York but I regret not visiting them all.

I too will miss efes! I lived nearly opposite, and visited far too regularly, as my waistline will testify :p:

Try as many cocktails as you can in Evil Eye - but not all in one night of course.

Go to Woodstock (the annual on campus music festival) and not just for the music. The other societies put on awesome displays too, particularly the Wasps (cheerleaders) Pole Exercise Soc and The Shambles (improvised comedy team).

Yeah. That's What I would suggest people should do :yes:

The cheerleaders are the Hornets :wink: I would also say watch DanceSoc at Woodstock, but I am rather biased :P

I would say get involved with stuff behind the scenes too, there's nothing more satisfying than finally doing a production or event (Dramasoc, Pantsoc, Fusion, JCRC Ents, etc, etc), that you've spent weeks or months planning and preparing for and the response from the audience afterwards (and not necessarily front of house stuff, I did a fair amount of behind the scenes planning)
@OP, I see you did English Language and Linguistics-any advice about this particular course as that's what I'm hoping to do?
loopy_laura
@OP, I see you did English Language and Linguistics-any advice about this particular course as that's what I'm hoping to do?

Hello! Lets see, advice for the course at York...

I would say look carefully at your academic path through your degree. When I started, the entire first year was filled with compulsary modules, but then you had free choice after that, as long as you stuck to certain parameters (you had to have so many modules of a certain level, and so many from a chosen majority path e.g. phonetics or syntax or sociolinguistics) but this will be explained for you when you are there.

However, they tend not to explain a few things:

1. The modules available in 3rd year for 2009 may not be the same that are available a year later. They remove, change requirements for, add and tweak available modules while you are trying to choose them.

2. You will probably need Syntax and Phonetics/phonology no matter what you do. I regretted not taking syntax at level 200 (first syntax module of 2nd year) and later found that it was a prerequisite for a number of modules that hadn't been available to look at in previous years, as they hadn't ben run. So it's a good idea to do both of these in 2nd year unless you absolutely can't stand them.

3. You may find that you get 5 exams in 6 days during the summer exams of first year, so start your revision well in advance so you don't have to cram so much (easier said than done of course!).

4. The International Phonetic Alphabet is your friend. It's a good idea to know it quite well, especially if you are doing obvious modules like phonetics and phonology or sociolinguistics. However, many modules cross over, so remember that just because you may choose syntax as a path it doesn't mean that you will never need the IPA.

These are mostly specific to York; I hope that is what you were hoping for. Things sound complex, but once it is explained to you by the lecturers and admin from the department it's not so bad, and what I have said will make sense.

Basically I would say plan ahead; but be aware that the department can be fickle, so be prepared to be flexible. But it is not much to worry about.

Any more questions, feel free to just ask! :smile:
laser
The cheerleaders are the Hornets :wink: I would also say watch DanceSoc at Woodstock, but I am rather biased :P

I would say get involved with stuff behind the scenes too, there's nothing more satisfying than finally doing a production or event (Dramasoc, Pantsoc, Fusion, JCRC Ents, etc, etc), that you've spent weeks or months planning and preparing for and the response from the audience afterwards (and not necessarily front of house stuff, I did a fair amount of behind the scenes planning)

Oops! Yes, you are right, they are The Hornets; but my point about them being brilliant still stands!

And I love that you were involved with those stage-based things. I wish I'd have looked more at those, I always loved the pantos. :yes:
Sunshine and doodles
Hello! Lets see, advice for the course at York...

I would say look carefully at your academic path through your degree. When I started, the entire first year was filled with compulsary modules, but then you had free choice after that, as long as you stuck to certain parameters (you had to have so many modules of a certain level, and so many from a chosen majority path e.g. phonetics or syntax or sociolinguistics) but this will be explained for you when you are there.

However, they tend not to explain a few things:

1. The modules available in 3rd year for 2009 may not be the same that are available a year later. They remove, change requirements for, add and tweak available modules while you are trying to choose them.

2. You will probably need Syntax and Phonetics/phonology no matter what you do. I regretted not taking syntax at level 200 (first syntax module of 2nd year) and later found that it was a prerequisite for a number of modules that hadn't been available to look at in previous years, as they hadn't ben run. So it's a good idea to do both of these in 2nd year unless you absolutely can't stand them.

3. You may find that you get 5 exams in 6 days during the summer exams of first year, so start your revision well in advance so you don't have to cram so much (easier said than done of course!).

4. The International Phonetic Alphabet is your friend. It's a good idea to know it quite well, especially if you are doing obvious modules like phonetics and phonology or sociolinguistics. However, many modules cross over, so remember that just because you may choose syntax as a path it doesn't mean that you will never need the IPA.

These are mostly specific to York; I hope that is what you were hoping for. Things sound complex, but once it is explained to you by the lecturers and admin from the department it's not so bad, and what I have said will make sense.

Basically I would say plan ahead; but be aware that the department can be fickle, so be prepared to be flexible. But it is not much to worry about.

Any more questions, feel free to just ask! :smile:

Thank you so much, that's really useful.
Reply 9
I will miss:
1. Efes
2. Sweaty sweaty Ziggys
3. Scallery Gallery with thelocals
4. The little markets they have in the city centre
5. Rolling down Cliffords tower
6. Swimming the lake then having to visit the doctor the next day for a huge course of drugs
7. Going for a night out in Leeds and waking up in Scarborough
8. The Lacrosse team
9. The OTC
10. My coursemates
11. My supervisor
12. The Lowther and the really cute barmaid(also a cheerlearder) who gave me her phone number when I used the line "Two pints and your phone number please"
13. ROSES!
14. Trevor the Golden Duck (May he R.I.P)
15. All nighters before deadlines in the biology computer room
bme
I will miss:
1. Efes
2. Sweaty sweaty Ziggys
3. Scallery Gallery with thelocals
4. The little markets they have in the city centre
5. Rolling down Cliffords tower
6. Swimming the lake then having to visit the doctor the next day for a huge course of drugs
7. Going for a night out in Leeds and waking up in Scarborough
8. The Lacrosse team
9. The OTC
10. My coursemates
11. My supervisor
12. The Lowther and the really cute barmaid(also a cheerlearder) who gave me her phone number when I used the line "Two pints and your phone number please"
13. ROSES!
14. Trevor the Golden Duck (May he R.I.P)
15. All nighters before deadlines in the biology computer room

What a list! Leaving is so sad :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending