Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

is a british degree valid in the usa?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    basically i really wanna do an undergraduate degree in the uk this being
    BA/BSC Psychology
    and then go to law school in america and i was just wondering whether the english degree can be used in the usa?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think so, yes.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think its worth more, because my dad has a PHD and in America he is classified as a Professor. So, I think English degrees are possibly more highly regarded in the US than their own (possibly anyway).
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most of them will be, but degrees that lead to jobs (Law, Medicine etc.) might not be. Regarding Professors, in the US that just means someone who teaches at a university, whereas in the UK it's a specific (and quite senior) position. Check the law school's website.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldee)
    I think its worth more, because my dad has a PHD and in America he is classified as a Professor. So, I think English degrees are possibly more highly regarded in the US than their own (possibly anyway).
    I think basically, what we would call a Doctor (PhD) they call a Professor. Whereas here Professors are typically heads of a department.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    I think basically, what we would call a Doctor (PhD) they call a Professor. Whereas here Professors are typically heads of a department.
    Not true. A person holding a doctorate is a doctor in both countries. In America professor refers to a teacher in an academic institution, from high school to university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should be fine once you convert into dollars.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Most of them will be, but degrees that lead to jobs (Law, Medicine etc.) might not be. Regarding Professors, in the US that just means someone who teaches at a university, whereas in the UK it's a specific (and quite senior) position. Check the law school's website.
    i have but im not getting much information, but it's only a psychology degree im doing over here and ill be doing law over there will it be ok?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    A person holding a doctorate is a doctor in both countries. In America professor refers to a teacher in an academic institution, from high school to university.
    Not exactly. People will doctorates are usually called Dr. X. This is particularly true if a high school teacher has a PhD.

At the college level, there are several different ranks, all requiring a PhD.

(Full) Professor - tenured, often an endowed chair (similar to Professor in the UK)
    Associate Professor - has taught for a while, sometimes/often tenured (similar to Reader in the UK)
    Assistant Professor - entry tenure-track position (similar to Lecturer in the UK)
    Instructor/Lecturer - short term positions, not tenured
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    Like I said I'm not sure how it works.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help everyone!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 21, 2009
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.