The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
blonde-beth
personally im going for integrated courses (mix of traditional and pbl)x
Integrated courses are those that have less of a pre-clin/clin divide, regardless of teaching style.
Reply 41
No two days are the same. The highs are bloody high and the lows can be crushing. You see life and death every day (you also see a lot of bloody paper work :wink: ). Regardless of how poorly patients treat you (and they can be vile), you're in a privledged position every day you go in to work.

As for exams and memorising - I never went in for that! I took the rather more controversial path of trying to understand concepts in the hope that I could then make educated stabs at exam answers/hang facts off the concept/etc. That and remembering specific patients. It's not done me too badly so far, and I'm hoping helps with retention of facts etc.!
Reply 42
jonnyofengland
Because in most worst-case scenarios (post-apocalyptic wasteland, stranded on a desert island, a hot air balloon where the load needs to be lightened) the medically trained people usually do alright for themselves.

This motivation for medicine must be a secret Oxford selection criteria... :p:

I don't regret it because I'm now a doctor at the end. :biggrin:
& am very excited about being vaguely useful to patients & being paid each day for that!

Also enjoyed: learning about the body & how the healthcare system works here (shocking how little some people understand about their health), the practical nature of things (clinicals & practicals in preclinical) & plenty of time as a student.
Reply 43
Fluffy
No two days are the same. The highs are bloody high and the lows can be crushing. You see life and death every day (you also see a lot of bloody paper work :wink: ). Regardless of how poorly patients treat you (and they can be vile), you're in a privledged position every day you go in to work.

As for exams and memorising - I never went in for that! I took the rather more controversial path of trying to understand concepts in the hope that I could then make educated stabs at exam answers/hang facts off the concept/etc. That and remembering specific patients. It's not done me too badly so far, and I'm hoping helps with retention of facts etc.!

This (:

Very good to know it can be done this way as I think it's so much better, and honestly, I think you'd end up being a better doctor if you learn this way because if you learn it parrot fashion and you get a question that isn't the same word-for-word to what you've learnt you're in a very difficult situation.
Elles
This motivation for medicine must be a secret Oxford selection criteria... :p:

Hey, I'm as surprised as anyone. I just wrote on my PS how I had wanted to be a doctor since I watched Jack become the leader on LOST, and the rest is history. :cool:
Reply 45
jonnyofengland
Hey, I'm as surprised as anyone. I just wrote on my PS how I had wanted to be a doctor since I watched Jack become the leader on LOST, and the rest is history. :cool:

Ahh Jack...:smile: slightly mental partial alcoholic and hero to all!

Latest

Trending

Trending