The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

startruck
This course is definitely a pile of *** and a bloody joke, but with different reason to yours.

To get into the TVU course, you need at least CCD at A levels. Imperial set up the course with TVU to boost TVUs reputation and help students with disadvantaged background the chance to apply for medicine.

To be fair, its not just about grades. If you have circumstances which affected your A level results, you will understand me.

No offence to anyone, but unless you've had deaths in family every month, disadvantaged background or not, it's a walk in the park to get an A for A-level - all you need is Letts revision guides, which cost no more than 100 for 2 years. You don't need a school. Teaching in my school was so crap that I skivved lessons.

Sorry I just don't buy the nonsense of being disadvantaged means you will be getting DDD by default. My dad was underprivileged and he managed to get the top grades. Many people I have met have too.
Reply 21
Comp_Genius
No offence to anyone, but unless you've had deaths in family every month, disadvantaged background or not, it's a walk in the park to get an A for A-level - all you need is Letts revision guides, which cost no more than 100 for 2 years. You don't need a school.

Okay well done for getting As at a level. you so deserve it. But getting As at a level without the right background (because most of students on the course were immigrants/2nd generation kids) are clearly disadvantaged compared to those who were from private schools and with families with experience of higher education.

But please keep this thread on topic (only about the course please). You can set up a new thread discussion about that issue (getting As at a level even if you went into a crap school) separately thanks.

Comp_Genius
Teaching in my school was so crap that I skivved lessons.

Sorry I just don't buy the nonsense of being disadvantaged means you will be getting DDD by default. My dad was underprivileged and he managed to get the top grades. Many people I have met have too.
Thats just completely subjective. Everyone could say oh i went to a crap school/college but still managed to get As. See what i mean?
To the person (d_88) who repped me:

I would let you do it, if you strip.
startruck
Okay well done for getting As at a level. you so deserve it. But getting As at a level without the right background (because most of students on the course were immigrants/2nd generation kids) are clearly disadvantaged compared to those who were from private schools and with families with experience of higher education.

But please keep this thread on topic (only about the course please). You can set up a new thread discussion about that issue (getting As at a level even if you went into a crap school) separately thanks.

Thats just completely subjective. Everyone could say oh i went to a crap school/college but still managed to get As. See what i mean?

Sorry if my posts sounded patronising. But I really fail to see how someone cannot at least get BBB at A-level if you just read through the revision guide. The questions every year repeat themselves for all the sciencey a-levels.

Subjective? Maybe - when the teacher asks you to do exercises A, B and C or copy out pages 11-14 and then walks off for coffee and tea?!
Maybe the students just read up on the stuff? Schools are no more than social organisations.
Sure - people do say that. And no, not all my lessons were crap, some were very good. But my marks for each subject are approximately the same, whether the lessons were crap or not...

The point is, medicine isn't exactly easy or difficult, but it requires a degree of self-learning; I can't see how someone who can't get answers to A-level questions by just reading up on books can somehow succeed and be good doctors.

I can say this because I don't sit on an Ivory tower typing this, my family was in the lowest social class two generations, now we're at the top. The point is you work hard and you get what you want. I think all this access scheme and positive discrimination are all wrong. I apologise if I sound stuck up, but all this stuff gets on my nerves!
startruck

But why? I am a Chinese immigrant, I still don't see the relevance... and I wasn't particularly advantaged or disadvantaged by this...
Reply 25
Comp_Genius
Sorry if my posts sounded patronising. But I really fail to see how someone cannot at least get BBB at A-level if you just read through the revision guide. The questions every year repeat themselves for all the sciencey a-levels.

If you get at least BBB after reading revision guides then sorry you cant get into medicine. Its as simple as that. This course allows you to still get into medicine without AAAA at Imperial.

Ill give you an example and im not making this up. Imagine a close familiy memeber dies months before preparing your exams...that would surely have an effect in your exam performance somehow. Its called extenuating circumstances by the way. Even examining boards recognise that, not just medical schools. It takes maturity and experiencing these situations for it to be fully understood. Have some empathy.
Comp_Genius
Subjective? Maybe - when the teacher asks you to do exercises A, B and C or copy out pages 11-14 and then walks off for coffee and tea?!
Maybe the students just read up on the stuff? Schools are no more than social organisations.

Sure - people do say that. And no, not all my lessons were crap, some were very good. But my marks for each subject are approximately the same, whether the lessons were crap or not...
Im telling you, students who did this course had much worse school experience than yours. Sorry but i just dont buy that.

Comp_Genius
The point is, medicine isn't exactly easy or difficult, but it requires a degree of self-learning; I can't see how someone who can't get answers to A-level questions by just reading up on books can somehow succeed and be good doctors.

Its not like being a good doctor is purely based on academia alone. Cmon. Years ago you only need to get Bs and Cs to get into medical school. Last year some london med schools increased their grade entry requirements due to increasing applicant number, not necessarily that the course is v.v.v.v. impossible to do without AAAa.

Self learning is just one aspect of it.
Comp_Genius
I can say this because I don't sit on an Ivory tower typing this, my family was in the lowest social class two generations, now we're at the top. The point is you work hard and you get what you want. I think all this access scheme and positive discrimination are all wrong. I apologise if I sound stuck up, but all this stuff gets on my nerves!

You can bring this issue up to GMC and med schools if you want. Some access courses are designed to attract those with life experience and transferrable skills - they are equally as valuable as those with As at a levels if not more.

Though I would have to agree that this TVU premed course (this aint an access to medicine course) needs to close down as its not what it says on the tin and is run for absolutely wrong reasons.
Reply 26
Comp_Genius
But why? I am a Chinese immigrant, I still don't see the relevance... and I wasn't particularly advantaged or disadvantaged by this...

Then the course doesnt apply to you then. Why are you making such a huge fuss. We get it, you have As even though you went to a crap school. P-lease!

Just ask me questions directly related to the course structure, link with imperial, stats, please.

Any issues regarding entry requirements and policies should be adressed to medicine admissions tutors. Theyll be happy to bombard you with reasons you just have never thought of.
startruck
If you get at least BBB after reading revision guides then sorry you cant get into medicine. Its as simple as that. This course allows you to still get into medicine without AAAA at Imperial.

Sure, point taken.

startruck

Ill give you an example and im not making this up. Imagine a close familiy memeber dies months before preparing your exams...that would surely have an effect in your exam performance somehow. Its called extenuating circumstances by the way. Even examining boards recognise that, not just medical schools. It takes maturity and experiencing these situations for it to be fully understood. Have some empathy.

Yes I do have empathy, but this is out of proportions. Do you mean every single person on the course had extenuating circumstances?

startruck

Im telling you, students who did this course had much worse school experience than yours. Sorry but i just dont buy that.

Point taken. I am sure there are. I was lucky in that regard. But I don't see why you need a school to get 3 A's for A-levels. You don't. Why can't people just get the past papers from the past 10 years and study it. A school in that regard is redundant.

startruck

Its not like being a good doctor is purely based on academia alone. Cmon. Years ago you only need to get Bs and Cs to get into medical school. Last year some london med schools increased their grade entry requirements due to increasing applicant number, not necessarily that the course is v.v.v.v. impossible to do without AAAa.

Yes, but back in the days getting Bs and Cs were more than getting the same grades nowadays. Yes you are right about the applicant numbers pushing up requirements.

startruck

Self learning is just one aspect of it.

You can bring this issue up to GMC and med schools if you want. Some access courses are designed to attract those with life experience and transferrable skills - they are equally as valuable as those with As at a levels if not more.

Yes, they are important, but they are formalised too much and so much that it really is taking the piss. Every course prospectus I read says how many transferable mickey mouse skills they offer!
Reply 28
Comp_Genius
Sure, point taken.

Yes I do have empathy, but this is out of proportions. Do you mean every single person on the course had extenuating circumstances?

Thats why im angry about this course. The prospectus says that you need to have extenuating circumstances to get into this special route. It turned out those who didnt even need this course were those who were given the chance to study medicine at imperial. And coincidentally, of those who were given imperial offers ALSO had offers somewhere else for medicine.

Comp_Genius
Point taken. I am sure there are. I was lucky in that regard. But I don't see why you need a school to get 3 A's for A-levels. You don't. Why can't people just get the past papers from the past 10 years and study it. A school in that regard is redundant.

If you think noone needs a school to get 3 As at a levels then please bring up your own issue to the Department of Education! Keep my thread on topic please!

Comp_Genius
Yes, but back in the days getting Bs and Cs were more than getting the same grades nowadays. Yes you are right about the applicant numbers pushing up requirements.

So finally you accept my point that you dont really need to be super clever (with As) to become a doc. Good!

Comp_Genius
Yes, they are important, but they are formalised too much and so much that it really is taking the piss. Every course prospectus I read says how many transferable mickey mouse skills they offer!

You are completely out of topic. TVU premed is a 1 year course doesnt tell you that they offer transferrable mickey mouse skills. Its the applicants im on about on access course scheme who offer transferrable skills (and they should be given same/extra consideration for medicine). Saying that you dont agree on access schemes is just being inconsiderate.
Can someone link me? I'm interested.
Comp_Genius

Explains a lot of your posts :p: I'm not ribbing you, it's true.
Toiletpaper8
Explains a lot of your posts :p: I'm not ribbing you, it's true.

yeah, you mean my thinking, right? Now I begin to think the whole philosophy is different too... what are you studying in cam?
http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/imperial-college-school-medicine/24344-thames-valley-pre-med-option-bio-sciences-5.html
seriously, people in newmediamedicine can't speak or type English properly:

'fink'

'dis'

'da grades'

'n u kno wat'

I know it's a forum, but I would be afraid if these are future doctors.
Comp_Genius
yeah, you mean my thinking, right? Now I begin to think the whole philosophy is different too... what are you studying in cam?

I meant the whole Chinese thing - I might be stereotyping but I find it to be true out of the people I know anyway - people from Asian backgrounds, Chinese people and their families are very "league-table orientated" when it comes to universities. And herein stems the whole "X university is better than Y university philosophy" - the family and parents tend to push their kids to the extent they lack a social life, work ridiculously hard... and at the end of the day, when it comes to looking for jobs, realise it's not all about which university you graduated from or the grades you got and it's far from a major factor. I mean, my friend's family - went round to his house and his parents thought unis like Southampton were evidently crap. When I told them my firm and insurance on UCAS, they were more concerned about their positions on a league table than anything else. It's this whole mentality that's messed up - but a completely different culture I guess.

If this doesn't really apply to you - well, you're one of the first I've met :p: And I live in Cambridge, don't study there - I'm going to Imperial.
Reply 35
Comp_Genius
http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/imperial-college-school-medicine/24344-thames-valley-pre-med-option-bio-sciences-5.html

'fink'

'dis'

'da grades'

'n u kno wat'

as a cover-up!:rolleyes: :ninja: coz over there, not one will neg you for typing txt-speech.
Comp_Genius

'fink'

'dis'

'da grades'

'n u kno wat'

To be fair, it's the internet. Friend of mine got 3 offers to do medicine and he speaks to me like this on MSN all the time. Admittedly, it is annoying - but I can see him as my doctor some day.
Reply 38
Toiletpaper8
To be fair, it's the internet. Friend of mine got 3 offers to do medicine and he speaks to me like this on MSN all the time. Admittedly, it is annoying - but I can see him as my doctor some day.

I agree with you:smile: Just coz someone txt-types on a forum doesnt mean they cant be doctors.

My username on NMM site is PersianPrincess...and you may have noticed that I can both txt-type not txt-type at the same time. I should put that down on my PS.:rolleyes:

xxx
Comp_Genius

I've skimmed through your posts on this thread and I understand what you're saying to an extent but please remember that it doesn't work that way for everybody.
Sure, you managed to push through and acheive academically - maybe you're just built of stronger stuff, I don't know.

But I'm from what is deemed a 'disadvantaged background'- single parent family, minimum wage, living in a deprived crime ridden area and I attended a ****** comp. I had the brains to achieve academically but my surroundings and a lot of thing that happened to me (family divorce, violence/abuse) made it absolutely impossible for me to get the top grades.

I was interviewed for BM6 (Soton) and met all their critera, but I didn't make it past interview. My A-levels/GCSE's aren't abysmal but they could have been so much better had I had a stable home and a safe environment so please don't speak on every 'disadvantaged' persons behalf.

I just thought I'd express a viewpoint from another perspective :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending