Welsh
    7.54%
    Irish
    6.53%
    None
    7.04%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just a simple question, what do you consider to be your primary ethnicity , if any of them. Myself, I consider myself British first before anything else. :yes:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really, really don't care what imaginary border I happen to have been born within.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cornish but if they don't have that option then English.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is on the UCAS form, the options are British, English, Welsh and Scottish.

It made me think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I'm applying for a job in England it's British

In Wales it's welsh

If I'm being pretentious I click other and put Welsh/Irish
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you'll ask me my nationality, I'll say British rather than Scottish because of the legal dimension.

However, I don't really think it's a matter of which I feel 'more' or 'before', they are different types of identity which, essentially, are part of one another. You cannot have Scottishness without Britishness or Britishness without Europeanness, by very definition. Equally I don't think one is more important than the other: I simply wouldn't be myself without both elements.

If you did ask me to rank then, I'd put a lot of other identities before being Scottish or British: my social class, for example, or my county. People who make too big a deal about nationality - particularly those that emphasise one part to the exclusion of others - annoy the living hell out of me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    looks like it's fairly even at the minute.

i chose Scottish, but I'm definitely not one of those people who are all like "omfg, scotland's the best, f*k the english bastards, don't call me british"
    that's just too far.

However, if I was abroad and someone asked me about myself, I would say "I'm Scottish" rather than "I'm British".
    I don't know why, I just would
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The question on UCAS asks for your national identity.
    I chose British.
    It would be quite uncomfortable to say English.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    I really, really don't care what imaginary border I happen to have been born within.
    Idealistic prick.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    The question on UCAS asks for your national identity.
    I chose British.
    It would be quite uncomfortable to say English.
    Why would you be uncomfortable with that, out of idle curiosity? Do you ascribe to any type of English identity?

Of course, if it's just something you don't connect to, then that's a fine reason in itself. I suppose that isn't really something a person can justify.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless Northern Irish, someone Irish is absolutely not British. Sorry to go on like a broken record, but I feel staunchly about it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're not imaginary. There's signposts and everything :rolleyes:

I usually say British.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Indian.

And no, i wasn't born and / or raised here.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's really not imaginary though is it? What country someone is brought up in will likely have a good deal of influence on their personality. You would probably be a very different person if you were say, Argentinian, or even if you were from a different country in Europe.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Why would you be uncomfortable with that, out of idle curiosity? Do you ascribe to any type of English identity?

Of course, if it's just something you don't connect to, then that's a fine reason in itself. I suppose that isn't really something a person can justify.
    Because I don't feel England has an identity that is very strong, especially when you compare to Scotland and Wales, particularly Scotland, who seem to have a very strong sense of pride in their country.

Also, people seem to have a lesser opinion of 'English' around the world than of Britain.

And finally, I think the union is quite a good thing, and there's no need to say I'm English just to resent the union or anything, because, as I say, there's nothing about England that gives me identity.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Unless Northern Irish, someone Irish is absolutely not British. Sorry to go on like a broken record, but I feel staunchly about it.
    They're British if they chose to be and identify as such.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It really pisses me off when people say they hate the English or the Welsh or w/e, when they're from Britain, we should be sticking together and how many people can honestly say they are 100% Welsh/Scottish etc...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was born and raised in London but I always put down British in any sort of forms or questionnaires.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.