The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would always consider myslef British, a member of the United Kingdom not just England.
Reply 21
I'd probably say English before British. I was raised to be proud of being English, but at the same time that doesn't mean I consider other British identities inferior, it's just what I was taught, I guess.
Reply 22
It depends how patriotic you are
Reply 23
British first, Irish and English second.

Perhaps that's because i'm only half of each though.
L i b
They're British if they chose to be and identify as such.

To the same extent as if I moved to Ireland and declared myself Irish, yes.
Reply 25
As Wales isn't represented on the Union Jack flag I consider myself to be 100% Welsh.
Reply 26
dews1290
As Wales isn't represented on the Union Jack flag I consider myself to be 100% Welsh.

It is, by the St George's cross as part of the Kingdom of England.

bananacake14
It really pisses me off when people say they hate the English or the Welsh or w/e, when they're from Britain, we should be sticking together and how many people can honestly say they are 100% Welsh/Scottish etc...

I am 100% Scottish. But I'm also 100% British. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Reply 27
English. I'm 50% English, 25% Welsh and 25% Irish. I feel I'd only qualify as British if I had Scots in me.
Also, I like to be pretentious and point out the difference between England, the UK and Britain. :P
Reply 28
Scottish.
Reply 29
First and foremost, I consider myself to be a Londoner. After that I'd say I'm English.
Reply 30
youes25
It's really not imaginary though is it? What country someone is brought up in will likely have a good deal of influence on their personality. You would probably be a very different person if you were say, Argentinian, or even if you were from a different country in Europe.

Yes, exactly my point, tbh.

I refuse to be proud of something that I had nothing to do with, and was the purest of accidents? Why should I bother being proud of being this ethnicity or that ethnicity, when I know that it's completely random, and I would think the same thing about a different place if things had been different.

But yes, the borders which mark out one country from another are imaginary. Nothing but a concept. A mass delusion if you will. The same way money isn't ACTUALLY worth anything (it's paper), but we all agree to pretend it is.
Reply 31
Shalarmay
Idealistic prick.

Excuse me?
Reply 32
Llrael
English. I'm 50% English, 25% Welsh and 25% Irish. I feel I'd only qualify as British if I had Scots in me.
Also, I like to be pretentious and point out the difference between England, the UK and Britain. :P

I'm sorry, but the idea that you can be a certain percentage of a nationality is frankly stupid.

You have that percentage of the genes of certain people, but genes do not have nationalities, and as such, the concepts you are employing are ridiculous.
Reply 33
English..then British
but i clicked British coz I didnt read it properly (N)
Reply 34
One of my favourite things about being British (or i suppose, more to the point, United Kingdomish) is the Union Flag. It has a certain character about it that makes it stand out among other flags (though i wonder whether this might have a fair bit to do with its imperialistic connotations). But it would look terrible if Scotland left the Union. However, that many people in Scotland do want independence signals to me that i don't feel particularly British - i don't feel i share the same values as many Scots. The same goes for Welsh people. A fair few in my experience have shown something of a dislike towards the English and so i feel i don't share the same values as them either. I suppose therefore i see myself as English - though when filling out forms i usually put British so as not to come across badly.

It also seems to me that when people from other countries talk about the British, they are almost always actually referring to the English. For example with food, they associate the British with tea, jam, scones and roast beef whereas to me these are all associated, albeit stereotypically, with English people.
Reply 35
Scottish

to me saying "I'm Scottish" is like saying "i'm British but I'm from Scotland"
like it or not there's a different culture here than there is in the rest of the UK and whilst much of it is undesirable; regardless, it's what i grew up around and has most certainly shaped me into the person I am today.
I imagine I would say i was NIrish, Welsh or English if I wasn't from Scotland too.
kyle_y
First and foremost, I consider myself to be a Londoner.

Glad to see I'm not alone then.
Reply 37
Nationality - British
Ethnicity - English
:smile:
Phugoid
But yes, the borders which mark out one country from another are imaginary. Nothing but a concept. A mass delusion if you will. The same way money isn't ACTUALLY worth anything (it's paper), but we all agree to pretend it is.

Good example is to illustrate countries that have changed because of war or other issues such as the breakup of Yugoslavia or India.
Reply 39
PJ991
This is on the UCAS form, the options are British, English, Welsh and Scottish.

It made me think.

That's what made me put it down. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending