The Student Room Group

Synoptic Papers (Edexcel)

My physics teacher told me that in order to get an A in the Synoptic paper, I'd have to obtain 64 (approx.) marks. That's astonishingly high, well for me anyway. However, my chemistry teacher said that 20 marks would definately be a good mark for the Synoptic in chem.
I'm confused- there's great big difference between 20 and 64 marks! Is it due to the difference in difficulty between chem and phys? Can someone straighten this out for me?
Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Mimo
My physics teacher told me that in order to get an A in the Synoptic paper, I'd have to obtain 64 (approx.) marks. That's astonishingly high, well for me anyway. However, my chemistry teacher said that 20 marks would definately be a good mark for the Synoptic in chem.
I'm confused- there's great big difference between 20 and 64 marks! Is it due to the difference in difficulty between chem and phys? Can someone straighten this out for me?
Thanks a lot!

theyre designed to be equal in difficulty. The teachers may be expecting more/less of you for their subjects. But you have to remember that for chemistry, the assessed practical also are a part of unit 6, along with the synoptic so people who score good in their assessed practicals, will already have lots of marks for unit 6 (and so might not have to do so well in the actual paper). In anycase , aim for the highest score that you can get :wink:.
Reply 2
one thing i've learnt is, never trust your teachers, do things independently. There are 2 examiner's reports on the edexcel website for chemistry and I imagine also physics. Take a look at those and see for yourself what the grade boundaries are.
Reply 3
Thanks very much for the advice, Mathemagician & pkchips!

Latest