The Student Room Group

How can I gain weight?

Hi does anyone know how to gain weight without eating unhealthily? (because I have a very healthy diet and would like to keep it healthy) Also please don't tell me to build muscles or take drugs of any sort because that's not what I want. I'm 16 years old and about 5"2 and weigh about 6 1/2 stone which I'm told is underweight. I hate being this thin and would like to gain weight in a healthy way. I've tried to gain weight a few times before but it didn't work.

Scroll to see replies

Eat healthy food but more of it, whilst still doing some moderate exercise?
Reply 2
Tried that before but it didn't work :frown:. Which foods should I eat to help me gain weight healthily? Is there any kind of excersize I should avoid?
Reply 3
Lift some weights, add 500 clean calories to your diet and you should gain roughly 1lb a week. You can buy weight gainers in the form of a shake if you struggle to eat enough.
Reply 4
Thanks but as I said in the original post, I don't want to build muscle and I don't want any drugs or 'weight gainers'.
Reply 5
its simple numbers really, if what goes in > what goes out you gain weight. I think the accepted figure is 3k calories = 1lb of bodyweight - however just eating 3k calories wont make you put on 1lb as you wont absorb it all. As has been said before just add another 500 or so calories to your day abd you should see your weight increase. You can also try certain weight gain supplements (dont know much about their effectivness)
Reply 6
u need alot of proteins..u need to build sum muscle tho...well i meant u need muscle mass n the best way to get that is by havin protien shakes after uv lifted sum weights...so mass can go in the rite places.
Reply 7
I've got the same problem.. I'm 6"2 and I weight under 9 1/2 stone. And adding calories does not help me at all, I normally eat around 3500-4000 a day and gain no weight. Only thing that makes me gain weight is protein drinks and some weight lifting or something alone those lines. I havn't got bulging muscles, but I am actually putting on weight. Don't know if that helps? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Cymraes..
Thanks but as I said in the original post, I don't want to build muscle and I don't want any drugs or 'weight gainers'.

Weight gainers are not drugs child. If you don't want to gain muscle but still want to gain weight then head to macdonalds 3 times a day :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Weight gainers are not drugs child. If you don't want to gain muscle but still want to gain weight then head to macdonalds 3 times a day
Well I'm pretty sure weight gainers aren't the healthiest way to gain weight, drugs or not, I don't want them. The mcdonalds idea sounds so healthy and I'm sure it won't give me a heart attack.
Reply 10
Hi everyone, I took a test on a pro-ana website (no I'm not anorexic, I was on it because I'm worried about my friend and wanted to know more about how she might be trying to hide what she is doing etc and learn more about the way anorexic people think) and the test revealed that I'm taking in 678 calories less than I'm burning on the average day. What foods (other than salty, sugary, processed crap) should I eat more of to help me take in these calories? Simply eating more doesn't really work very well for me because I often feel too full to do this so is there any food that is high in calories but wont fill me up too easily? I'm also tired all the time, no matter how much sleep I get. Could this be because my calorie intake is too low?
Reply 11
Cymraes..
The mcdonalds idea sounds so healthy and I'm sure it won't give me a heart attack.

Try watching the film "Supersize Me" and watch what 3 McDonalds a day did to a very healthy Morgan Spurlock, it'll put you right off.

I'm 5'4" and have lost weight due to stress, I could do with gaining at least half a stone but it just seems like a huge, impossible task. It was suggested to me to eat lots of protein (like chicken) and not work it off so that it turns to fat. Also pasta, potatoes, rice etc but a decent mix of veg too so that my body gets the nutrients it needs.

Sounded good to me, don't know if it would actually work.
One simple answer to this: PROTEIN

Eat plenty of protein. It isn't junk funk and it adds meat to your body.

Protein is basically anything that comes from an animal e.g. fish, lamb, chicken, milk, eggs, etc.
Reply 13
Thanks, so I gather I just need to eat more protein and carbs then. I eat plenty of fruit and veg so maybe I could cut down on them slightly so I wont get too full then the problem's solved (hopefully lol).
Cymraes..
Hi everyone, I took a test on a pro-ana website (no I'm not anorexic, I was on it because I'm worried about my friend and wanted to know more about how she might be trying to hide what she is doing etc and learn more about the way anorexic people think) and the test revealed that I'm taking in 678 calories less than I'm burning on the average day. What foods (other than salty, sugary, processed crap) should I eat more of to help me take in these calories? Simply eating more doesn't really work very well for me because I often feel too full to do this so is there any food that is high in calories but wont fill me up too easily? I'm also tired all the time, no matter how much sleep I get. Could this be because my calorie intake is too low?

So essentially as you don't want to build muscle you want to gain extra bodyfat?

If so how much?

There are certain foods which are good for you and high calorifically speaking, most of them will be higer in fats (good fats mind) as the basic macro breakdown is:
1g Protien = 4kcals
1g Carbs = 4kcals
1g Alchohol = 7kcals
1g Fat = 9kcals

Food such as Nuts, Oily fish and some red meats will hlp you consume the calories, extra fruit will provide kcals in the form of fructose sugars and you could probably do with adding some cheese and milk to the diet, not in excess just as little boosters, prehaps grate some cheese onto salad to boost the kcals.
Reply 15
If so how much?

Well at the moment I weigh just under 7 stone and I would like to be a minimum of 7 stone 8 because I lose weight really easily and would like to be well into the healthy weight range for my height to make sure I don't go underweight again. (I am underweight at the moment and have a BMI of 17.8). My work out routine should make sure that most of the weight is gained in all the right places as I do like having a small waist.
Hey i weighed 9 stone 5 lb 2 weeks ago now im 10 stone 5 lb , i used protein weight gainers to help me.
Complan.. Complan.. Complan. its a shake, designed for (*sigh*) old people and the ill. full of calories and all the nutrients you need in a day. tastes great too!

800 calories extra a day if you drink it with full fat milk. not filling either.

keep up with your normal calorie intake with complan on top and you should gain weight.

available at all good retailers (tescos ect.)

and im not a sales person!!
Reply 18
Complan isn't bad, upsets my stomach these days, but I used to have it in between meals
Reply 19
Anonymous
Complan.. Complan.. Complan. its a shake, designed for (*sigh*) old people and the ill. full of calories and all the nutrients you need in a day. tastes great too!

800 calories extra a day if you drink it with full fat milk. not filling either.

keep up with your normal calorie intake with complan on top and you should gain weight.

available at all good retailers (tescos ect.)

and im not a sales person!!

You can just have two pints of whole milk. I'm sure it's cheaper and at least as good.

Quick Reply

Latest