The Student Room Group

How Common Do You Think "Bad Behaviour" in Exams is?

The thread about the person getting a penalty made me curious.

I've never known anyone to get any sort of penalty, and I don't THINK I know anyone who has cheated in exams ('though I suppose if they had any sense at all they wouldn't go around telling people). I do know people who have tried to submit copied coursework, but I don't know anyone who managed it without his/her teacher catching it first.

Do people do it often, do you think? I've always been scared enough at the thought of accidently "cheating" - having forgotten to rub something off my hand, or bringing in a calculater I've doodled stuff on or something - can't imagine being brave enough to do it on purpose. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, during my English exam, two boys were messing up at the front, and threw someone else's paper at the wall, he got put out and got his exam torn up. He was also fooling about in maths, and was disqualified from there too. The stupid prick deserves it though.
Reply 2
couple of guys last year got thrown out of general maths for talking. to be fair they were given a warning but then continued talking, so they were rightfully chucked out.

duno what happened to their papers as both had finished. both were *********.
Reply 3
Not a lot in my school anyway- every year in with the "This is how exams work" assembly they go on and on about how the invigilators said they were so impressed with us, we were so well behaved blah blah blah, you'd better not mess it up etc.
Reply 4
In some of my GCSE exams, people fell asleep and one guy was smoking. No penalties as such- just very very poor grades.

At A level, I've only experienced low level stuff- like people turning up late and stuff. Thats it really.

But I guess I went to a nice college :smile:
Reply 5
I know someone who cheated in an exam and got away with it. I've personally never cheated in an exam, I'm way too scared to! I'd feel guilty if I did it too.
Reply 6
Two guys were having a proper conversation in the middle of my maths exam and the invigilator just shushed them!
For the folio side of things there has been some pretty blatant cheating at my school, and in another exam there are these guys who each year copy this other guy and always get away with it... well I don't know about advanced higher yet, pretty sure the invigilator saw them but don't think anything was done about it...
Reply 8
haha in music, this guy who we were all shocked even turned up to the exam got out his phone, invigilator comes up to him and tells him to put phone away, and he goes "no" so then invigilator tells him that he's disqualified from that exam, the boy then says "sweet" then walks out, and leaves to then bang the windows of the room we were in, making funny faces. probably just got disqualified for that exam only

someone's phone went off in one exam and then all her exams got disqualified, that's pretty extreme.

someone scored the answers on the side of their pencil and got away with it

i couldn't be bothered to cheat, and knowing my luck what i'd take in to the exam would be useless for those questions.
Reply 9
A girl was doing SG Art and for the practical she took an already painted picture into it - she got disqualified and now my school only does Int2 Art since it's a written exam and folio!
With my Physics at Standard Grade, since I was so bad at it, I was tempted to throw it with Joke Answers, however, I was serious, and ended up getting a 3. I just behave in my exams, mainly because I am usually on my own with a laptop and an sweet invigilator, one of them even wished me HAppy Birthday last year during Higher Modern Studies :biggrin:
Dado Prso
couple of guys last year got thrown out of general maths for talking. to be fair they were given a warning but then continued talking, so they were rightfully chucked out.

duno what happened to their papers as both had finished. both were *********.

Am I the only one who's curious to find out what this word is?
During Higher Maths this year, someone in my school wrote all the exact values (cos90, tan45 etc.) on the inside of their calculator cover. Needless to say, the invigilators did not notice.
Yeah bad behaviour is pretty common, I dunno about the cheating kind but certainly the messing around and taking the piss kind. It's because kids are so ******* fed up with exams having gone through so many since the age of about 10/11
Reply 14
People always fart and play bogey (who can shout the loudest basically) when the head invigilator is away. Tbh I dont think the invigilators even care..we saw one in the pub one day and they just see it as good easy money. Aparrently £10+ per hour
Reply 15
iaincarinish
Am I the only one who's curious to find out what this word is?

I'm assuming it starts with "B" and ends in "ite"

tropical-twist3
Yeah bad behaviour is pretty common, I dunno about the cheating kind but certainly the messing around and taking the piss kind. It's because kids are so ******* fed up with exams having gone through so many since the age of about 10/11

Since the age of 10/11? that's year 6, we haven't been heavily examined since then. I don't mean to come across as a prat but I think if you're going to mess about in any of the exams maybe do it in the ones that matter less, i.e. in your SATs and not your GCSE/A levels.
I will agree that over the last 3/4 years (since GCSE) it's been horrendous the amount of exams we're given, but the first year of Uni that you get if you've done well is more than enough to make up for it if you ask me.

@OP: Cheating has happened in a couple of our exams, however they're usually the same people. It was a text book behind the cistern in our psychology exams last year and was only found after the exam period so nothing was done about it. Although this year they're insanely strict, they've even started checking under headscarfs, which they never did before.

EDIT: Oh Lol, only just realised this is in the scottish qualifications section. Sorry guys :biggrin:
Reply 16
I've never experienced it really. The worst I had was in a mock GCSE exam when some people I knew agreed beforehand to cough at 10-secondly intervals throughout the exam (which they did). Very frustrating.
Zorg
I'm assuming it starts with "B" and ends in "ite"

Since the age of 10/11? that's year 6, we haven't been heavily examined since then. I don't mean to come across as a prat but I think if you're going to mess about in any of the exams maybe do it in the ones that matter less, i.e. in your SATs and not your GCSE/A levels.
I will agree that over the last 3/4 years (since GCSE) it's been horrendous the amount of exams we're given, but the first year of Uni that you get if you've done well is more than enough to make up for it if you ask me.

@OP: Cheating has happened in a couple of our exams, however they're usually the same people. It was a text book behind the cistern in our psychology exams last year and was only found after the exam period so nothing was done about it. Although this year they're insanely strict, they've even started checking under headscarfs, which they never did before.

yeah yr 6 you have SATs, then year 7 you have CATs and other exams to group you, we had tests all the way throughout yr 8 for grouping, then yr 9 SATs which they put too much ******* pressure on for something that doesn't matter, I wasn't bothered by them but my younger sister was in tears about it because of some stuff the teachers had said to her :mad: then yr 10, yr 11, yr 12, yr 13 it gets even heavier and people get fed up. And even with the mocks during these times they put lots of pressure on you, again I didn't care much about the mock but right now the same younger sister is really worrying about this drama mock this week :lolwut: so I've been going in to help her group with it to make her feel better.
No it doesn't seem that much if you don't worry or feel the pressure form exams so much but for someone like my younger sister, who takes in all this scaremongering from the teachers for just a simple end of term maths test then its alot. I'm just ******* fed up of it.
/rant
Sorry you got caught in the firing range there.
Reply 18
tropical-twist3
yeah yr 6 you have SATs, then year 7 you have CATs and other exams to group you, we had tests all the way throughout yr 8 for grouping, then yr 9 SATs which they put too much ******* pressure on for something that doesn't matter, I wasn't bothered by them but my younger sister was in tears about it because of some stuff the teachers had said to her :mad: then yr 10, yr 11, yr 12, yr 13 it gets even heavier and people get fed up. And even with the mocks during these times they put lots of pressure on you, again I didn't care much about the mock but right now the same younger sister is really worrying about this drama mock this week :lolwut: so I've been going in to help her group with it to make her feel better.
No it doesn't seem that much if you don't worry or feel the pressure form exams so much but for someone like my younger sister, who takes in all this scaremongering from the teachers for just a simple end of term maths test then its alot. I'm just ******* fed up of it.
/rant
Sorry you got caught in the firing range there.

Firstly, Ouch.:biggrin:

But I take your point some teachers are absolute *****. If I'm honest I put alot more effort into my year 6 SATs than my year 9 SATs because I was seriously naive. I never really saw the point in worrying about anything that wasn't end of year, so CATs and Mocks IMHO were just the same as end of topic tests (only revise if you have spare time).

Your sisters rather lucky. I on the otherhand end up helping my degree level sister cope, but that means I should have a nice headstart for next year though. :biggrin:
Reply 19
I don't know about the students messing around, but in one of my exams the invigilator got out his phone and started playing tetris, which made a loud noise, and it was really disturbing. If I fail that exam I blame him.

Latest

Trending

Trending