The Student Room Group

Personal Trainer - Expensive?

I really want a personal trainer to get me going and to see them every few weeks. But what is the typical price? Ive just seen some on websites at 40-50 £s.. Thats surely a rip off considering I can get driving lessons - use of car,time,petrol,maintenance of car for £21..

Anyone got a personal trainer and how much are you paying?

Scroll to see replies

*subscribes* - Sorry I can't help much I'm just interested as I'd like one myself 'cause I struggle to 'get going' on my own.

Have you contacted your local gym? They would surely be less expensive than private ones? Were the ones you found on the internet private?
Don't get a personal trainer, major waste of money. Anything you want to know can be found for free, and the motivation to keep going is a lot better if you have a friend to workout with you.
Reply 3
shorty.loves.angels
*subscribes* - Sorry I can't help much I'm just interested as I'd like one myself 'cause I struggle to 'get going' on my own.

Have you contacted your local gym? They would surely be less expensive than private ones? Were the ones you found on the internet private?

I was actually joining Virgin Gym close to me it was expensive but I was gonna got for it.. I enquired about a PT and they said it was £30 an hour but they took the piss and said I need to block book 10 lessons...

Not being funny but the PT are actually based at the gym their journey time is like 10 seconds..

I wouldnt mind having muscles like Daniel Craig but nothing more tbh..
Reply 4
Oh my god, you're a guy! lol
Yup! But mine's HOTTTTTTTTTT thus very much worth it.

Oh and I pay £30 an hour :smile: He's really hot.
Reply 6
£35 per hour, plus you get nutritional advice
Reply 7
TheButtylicious
Yup! But mine's HOTTTTTTTTTT thus very much worth it.

Oh and I pay £30 an hour :smile: He's really hot.

I find it wierd that you dont mind your hot pt whilst your not at you best i.e. sweating your tits off :biggrin:
swatjosh
I find it wierd that you dont mind your hot pt whilst your not at you best i.e. sweating your tits off :biggrin:

I do mind... but I don't look awfully bad when I'm sweaty. Plus some of the weights I'm kinda thrusting myself at him. He does it all with me :biggrin:

You should get one :smile:
I can't believe people are actually considering paying for information that is freely available in the public domain.
Reply 10
I want a blonde personal trainer please lol stuff the information.. Nah but I mean having a PT gives you motivation and can advise you personally rather than general information for any race and gender.
Surely the motivation of saving whatever ridiculous amount a personal trainer will cost you is enough to get you to go to the gym on your own? Why are people so weak?

A personal trainer will, if you're lucky, tell you things about exercise and nutrition which are true but readily available for free. If you're unlucky, they will tell you things which are wrong. I fail to see the benefit.
Reply 12
Just go on YouTube o_O
In a lot of cases you'll get much better advice on here tbh :s-smilie:
Don't see the need for a personal trainer. Oh and £30 per hour is pretty much standard. Deffo not worth it imo.
lolimemma
In a lot of cases you'll get much better advice on here tbh :s-smilie:

Yeah. We knows our stuff.
Reply 15
why do people pay for PT when they could not pay for someone to tell them stuff that is really obvious, and if you are lacking in motivation go to the gym with a mate, me and my training partner are like each others personal trainers
Chumbaniya
Yeah. We knows our stuff.

damn right you do! Personal train on my blog pls I'm looking for inspiration.
Reply 17
The only thing I might do would be to pay a coach to coach some lifts. But that would probably only be once things started getting heavy and stalls were happening. Your form when you start is never the same when things get heavy.

But I would make damn sure my form was textbook from the beginning so that bad-habits don't start.
Reply 18
I'm a PT and the gym I work at charges me out at £33 an hour. Its pretty common practice to have to block book a set of 10 at any major health club. Its not a money making scheme, but its what you realistically need before you start to see results, i.e about 10 weeks or so. You might otherwise get people paying for one or two and then dropping out as they haven't brought in to achieve the results as such.

I'm not going to enter the whole its not worth it debate, as I wore my fingers out last time around. Put it this way though, £33 a week is what some people might spend on newspapers and coffee in the morning. Its what you might spend on CD's, a few pints down the pub on the weekend, a couple of pizzas. Its up to you to place the value on a good or service. I've had some fantastic results with clients. Whether they would have achieved the same reading things on the internet, who knows.

Oh yeah, and before you start thinking we are all minted, you wanna see the cut the gym takes out of the £33 a session.
Reply 19
Ironmike

I'm not going to enter the whole its not worth it debate, as I wore my fingers out last time around. Put it this way though, £33 a week is what some people might spend on newspapers and coffee in the morning. Its what you might spend on CD's, a few pints down the pub on the weekend, a couple of pizzas. Its up to you to place the value on a good or service. I've had some fantastic results with clients. Whether they would have achieved the same reading things on the internet, who knows.

Which is precisely why I had the PT scheme for 20 weeks - I just cut out the crap like alcohol, coffee, excessive sugary snacks, cycled instead of drove to the gym and uni. Worked out I spent exactly the same (well, minus some protein shakes) and I've kept up the eating habits, and still have the odd session here and there rather than having the "remotivation" sessions the gym provides for free, because they aren't that good.

Quick Reply

Latest